Cherry tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any idea how long it would keep if I made a Tomato, basil, garlic, mozz, red onion, olive oil, vinegar salad? Not very long I would think... tomatoes get a little wierd when they are cut for awhile, I would think the cheese would also, plus sitting in all the goop....
I'd be making the salad for one, I doubt anyone in my house would eat it with me. :(

I would make it fresh suzi - well, really ideally about 30-mins to an hour before ready to serve, but save the basil to slice/shred and add at the last minute. If made more than an hour in advance the vinaigrette will cause the basil to turn brown and the tomatoes to go mushy.

If you like asparagus too try this it is one of my favorites:

Toss a good number of the cherry tomatoes in a LARGE bowl. Take the asparagus, cut off the woody part and add it to the tomatoes. Toss in some chopped garlic, a few good glugs of evoo and some kosher salt. Mix it up really well. Preheat a pyrex baking dish with some evoo in it while you are preheating the oven to 400 degrees. When the oven is preheated, take out the pan, toss in the veg and mix well. Careful it will sizzel.

Put it back on the oven and check about every 7 - 10 minutes and stir it up. Once the tomatoes are softened and the asparagus is slightly wilted and roasted they are done.

If you like asparagus too try this it is one of my favorites:

Toss a good number of the cherry tomatoes in a LARGE bowl. Take the asparagus, cut off the woody part and add it to the tomatoes. Toss in some chopped garlic, a few good glugs of evoo and some kosher salt. Mix it up really well. Preheat a pyrex baking dish with some evoo in it while you are preheating the oven to 400 degrees. When the oven is preheated, take out the pan, toss in the veg and mix well. Careful it will sizzel.

Put it back on the oven and check about every 7 - 10 minutes and stir it up. Once the tomatoes are softened and the asparagus is slightly wilted and roasted they are done.

I wouldn't eat that........................................except maybe 3 x a week! :LOL:

I wouldn't eat that........................................except maybe 3 x a week! :LOL:

That is pretty much the only way I cook aparagus these days. :chef:

In the summer I add in some yellow pear tomatoes and fresh basil from the garden to give it more color.

This method work great for brussel sprouts too. Just replace the tomatoes and asparagus with trimmed sprouts (be sure to cut a X in the tops of them) and baby carrots. I think you'll find you'll never boil your sprouts again! :)

The balsamic really wrecks the look of the salad if you dress it more than a handful of minutes before serving. I make mine with baby bocconcini balls, cherry tomatoes, torn basil, finely diced red onion, and Kalamata olives. Sort of a combined Greek/Calabrese salad!

I love to throw halved cherry tomatoes thru fresh pasta with some salmon or chicken, garlic, something green (broccoli, asparagus, spinach etc), cream and cheese. Sometimes some olives as well or anchovies or capers. Try not to pump up the salt items too much though. Also dot them thru lasagna for an interesting burst. Likewise thru spinach and ricotta canneloni.

On tv today, they did beef involtini - thinly sliced proscuttio wrapped around thin piece of beef (they used sirloin), which in turn was wrapped around a cherry tomato, piece of mozzarella and basil leaf, all secured with a toothpick. Pan fried briefly to sear with salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar drizzled over it (quite a bit) and then cooked in the oven. The balsamic forms the sauce.

Also have a recipe for honey roasted cherry tomatoes.

Salmon fillet oven baked in foil with pineapple and cherry tomatoes was very lovely, both hot and cold. Presumably other fish would subby well. Chicken possibly too.

I love tomato jam but my recipe uses a can of diced tomatoes and all those lovely cherry tomatoes would be wasted in it.

That is pretty much the only way I cook aparagus these days. :chef:

In the summer I add in some yellow pear tomatoes and fresh basil from the garden to give it more color.

This method work great for brussel sprouts too. Just replace the tomatoes and asparagus with trimmed sprouts (be sure to cut a X in the tops of them) and baby carrots. I think you'll find you'll never boil your sprouts again! :)

Awwwwwww - I love Brussels sprouts and always roast them. Reduce some balsamic - when you roast them not only drizzle with olive oil and kosher salt but some of the reduced balsamic - OH MY!

Asparagus is always done in the oven or on the grill in our house. When I want to add a bit of substance I toss my roasted veggies with some penne pasta or such and a little drizzle of olive oil, and of course, kosher salt and dried chili flakes. :chef:

Reduce some balsamic - when you roast them not only drizzle with olive oil and kosher salt but some of the reduced balsamic - OH MY! :chef:

I am just learning the wonders of balsamic. I'll have to give that a try. ;)

Buy fresh mozzarella balls the same size as the tomatoes and some fresh basil. Slice the tomatoes and mozzarella balls in half. Assemble on a toothpick as follows: mozzarella, basil leaf, tomato. The two halves should form a ball with the basil leaf in the middle. Arrange on a platter, season with salt, pepper, balsamic & evoo. Courtesy Emeril.

I'm a fan of the mozzarella & tomato skewers as well. Put them on the grill (next to a steak) or under the broiler - just till the cheese gets all nice & melty & the tomatoes are warm. Or - slide them off the skewers onto a plate of pasta (w evoo & garlic) - or onto brushetta as an appy. Somewhere, I think I recall chunks of bruschetta (drizzled w evoo) on the skewers between the mozzarella balls & cherry tomatoes - then grilled. YUM!

i like to roast my cherry tomatoes in the oven with some s/p, olive oil and dried oregano, until you're able to peel the skins off.

then i add them to my cheese macaroni which i bake in the oven.

they're also great in a greek salad.

We usually use Grape tomatoes for salads and such at work. But, cherry toms will also work like that.

If you saute any fresh veggies, like squash, add some cherry tomatoes in the last minute or two.

If you have the time, and patience, you could slice off the top stem end, and a small slice off the bottom, so they will stand up. Use a melon-baller to hollow them out, and stuff with a stuffing of some kind.

Back
Top Bottom