Cherry tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
I have over 2 pounds worth, I'll be using some for kebobs tonight, but DH doesnt eat them so not many. Other than snacking on them for a week straight I'm not sure I can use them up... they were buy one get one free, and I wanted 1 anyway so why not take the free one!

What can I do with them besides freezing them to throw in my tomato sauce later?

Last edited by a moderator:
While this is remarkably off topic by this point, I'm a HUGE proponent of not freezing anything. Freezing food, in my (admittedly unscientific) opinion, destroys flavour, texture, and cheerfulness.

I've eaten frozen fish and fish just caught...no contest
I've eaten frozen tomato sauce and vine-fresh tomato sauce...no contest

I've eaten fronzen chicken breast vs. unfrozen vs. literally just slaughtered...well that one is a bit of a toss up between unfrozen and frozen, mainly because the just slaughtered bird was my friend until the horrific deed :-(

Anyway, what does this have to do with anything:

well, when unfrozen,
1) Cherry tomatoes are awesome for mussel pasta
2) Cherry tomatoes are awesome for pasta salad
3) Cherry tomatoes are awesome!

Mike

Actualy, I was looking for what I could do with them besides freezing them, that's why I started this in the "I have these ingredients" forum.... so it really wasn't off topic!
Thanks everyone. Starting to look like a thawing poultry thread......

OK then - take some fresh squeezed lime juice (from a whole lime) add some kosher salt and pepper and whisk. Keep whisking and add some good olive oil. Then add some fresh parsley or cilantro and ground cumin. Cut tomatoes in half and let marinate on the counter for about 30 minutes. For the life of me I can't find a recipe but there might even be a bit of Dijon in this - I could be wrong though.

OR - roast some shallots - I mean REALLY roast them - olive oil and kosher salt. When nice and brown (and yes, sometimes the outer layer gets too dried out but it will be ok). Take some balsamic, salt, pepper, and whisk in the oil, add some fresh, chopped oregano. Again, let sit on counter for about 30 minutes (slice in half again).

OR - do you ever make a tortilla pizza?

Cut the tomatoes in half, drizzle with olive oil and kosher salt and roast in oven until they dry out some - not a lot - but quite a bit.

Just take a tortilla, slather it with some pesto or just drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Layer on in this order:

arugula or baby spinach and fresh basil leaves if you don't use pesto
shrimp or chicken already cooked
thinly sliced red onion or white, it doesn't matter
sliced water-packed mozzarella
roasted tomatoes that you just did

Bake in oven at 350 for about 25 minutes. It's wonderful!

Of course, toppings vary, it's whatever you love but this is my favorite.

Oh that sounds great!
The kids (ok and DH) are getting tired of my bagel pizzas when I'm clueless for dinner...
tortillas, I never thought of!
Thanks!

Somewhere I have an antipasto salad recipe that uses halved cherry tomatoes, black olives, cubed mozzarella, pepperoni, cooked spiral pasta, and other ingredients I don't remember at the moment. Everything's mixed with olive oil and vinegar and served over lettuce. I'll look for it and try to post it some time tomorrow. It's really, really delicious.

While this may not be exactly what Katie was talking about, this recipe for Pasta Caprese looks good ... although they didn't use cherry tomatoes they certainly would work.

Another favorite of mine is sweet-and-sour pork (you could use chicken or even shrimp) - the blend of the sauce, pineapple and cherry tomatoes is fabulious - IMHO!

SuzyQ make jam out of them. my mother used to make jam out of red and yello tomatoes and we kids devoured it. I have a recipe for it if you want it pm me I will send it tomorrow

You can make a salad with cherry tomatoes, as well as tomato sauce.
You can always freeze sauce if you do not use it all.

slice in half, mix with finely sliced red onions, toss with worcestershire sauce.

or

peel and soak in vodka overnight. splash with worcestershire sauce and serve on celery spears (or just toothpicks) for an alcoholic appy.

Buy fresh mozzarella balls the same size as the tomatoes and some fresh basil. Slice the tomatoes and mozzarella balls in half. Assemble on a toothpick as follows: mozzarella, basil leaf, tomato. The two halves should form a ball with the basil leaf in the middle. Arrange on a platter, season with salt, pepper, balsamic & evoo. Courtesy Emeril.

I'm in a bit late--but I was thinking Bruschetta and tomatoes with Mozzarella.

For the Bruschetta you could just halve them, add the olive oil, basil, garlic, onion... serve with french bread.... yummy..

Tomatoes and fresh Mozzarella balls, a little garlic, basil, oil and vinegar.... Delicious!

peel and soak in vodka overnight. splash with worcestershire sauce and serve on celery spears (or just toothpicks) for an alcoholic appy.
I must vouch for this one. Bucky posted this last year and it quickly became a favorite of mine. I do not peel the tomatoes though. I just slice them in half.

I make a tomato-based salad dressing sometimes.

Whirl the maters up in your food processor with some salt and pepper and a clove of garlic. Let it sit for about an hour. Strain and dump the seeds/skin.

Use the tomato liquid as the base for your dressing. Just add vinegar (balsamic, wine, sherry) or lemon juice and olive oil in the normal proportions you like. Check for seasoning.

I usually add a little anchovy or soy sauce for umami and sometimes dijon mustard.

I would oven-roast them. Cut them in half, sprinkle w thyme and or rosemary, s&p, drizzle w evoo & roast away. You can roast a head of garlic or toss in the cloves at the same time. Serve w pasta etc., or spread on a baguette w some feta cheese.

Jeekinz, you stole my suggestion. :) I love to make enslata caprese kabobs! I marinate mine for an hour or so before assembling, and alternate each piece of cheese and tomato with a nice-sized basil leaf. Nice for parties, too.

I've also made sun-dried tomatoes (in the oven, so I guess they're oven-dried) with cherry tomatoes, and they always turn out just wonderful. Definitely a good suggestion, and a great way to make them keep longer.

Jeekinz, you stole my suggestion. :) I love to make enslata caprese kabobs! I marinate mine for an hour or so before assembling, and alternate each piece of cheese and tomato with a nice-sized basil leaf. Nice for parties, too.

I've also made sun-dried tomatoes (in the oven, so I guess they're oven-dried) with cherry tomatoes, and they always turn out just wonderful. Definitely a good suggestion, and a great way to make them keep longer.

LOL....is that what they're called? Takes a little time, but it's definately worth it. Add some cheeses and cured meats and you've got dinner.

Wow thank you everyone, now I'm afraid I will run out of cherry tomatoes too soon.... I can't wait until my plants come up! I plant 2 for me and 1 for my son.... the one kid that wont eat anything will eat a whole gardens worth of cherry tomatoes if I let him. :)

I love them with mozzarella, basil and garlic with any type of italian or vinegrette dressing.

My dogs love them as low calorie training treats!

Mary

Back
Top Bottom