"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 03-07-2008, 04:31 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Have a look at this site:
Food and Drink | Times Online

Gordon Ramsay has a sticky lemon chicken dish that takes about ten minutes to do. He uses pieces but you could adapt the cooking time to suit a breast. It's in his fasta cooking. The video is also on YouTube.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:42 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

This is something I make when I'm low on ideas but have boneless chicken and pasta.
Heat some oil add tons of chopped garlic, followed by chicken (cut into cubes). Start boiling water for pasta on the side. Remove the chicken once its cooked. In the same pan, add some more chopped garlic, followed by what ever vegetable you have at hand. I've used onion, zucchini, peppers, asparagus, broccoli. When the veggies are crunchy cooked add the cooked chicken, some cream or milk, some cheese (asiago or romano) and cooked pasta with salt and pepper, toss everything and serve.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:01 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Yeah, I would definitely recommend a Marsala, Piccata, or other saute. Quick and delicious.

I have taken to using a classical poulet saute when serving a whole chicken to 3-4 people rather than roasting, as I think it's both more fun and it definitely takes less time.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:19 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Here's a quick and easy one. It takes about 15 minutes. I crave it for the garlic and lime. Serve it with baked potatoes cooked in the microwave and you have a quick, easy meal:

Pepper Lime Chicken--Better Homes cookbook, with my alterations

2-2 1/2lbs chicken pieces
grated peel of 1 lime
2 juiced limes
1 tbsp cooking oil
2 or 3 cloves garlic
1 tsp coarsely ground pepper
1 tsp dried basil (It's really good w/fresh basil)
1/4 tsp salt

Cook chicken however you like it, I prefer to broil it. Brush on sauce in last 5 minutes and cook. It would probably work as a marinade as well.

Meanwhile stir together lime peel, lime juice oil, garlic, pepper, basil, and salt. Brush on chicken when it is almost done, and again after. I brush on TONS of it. YUM!

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:56 PM   #15
Head Chef

Missie, you might like this recipe posted recently by Ol-blue. Saves on pans, too! http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...ipe-42200.html

A time-saving tip that I recently learned about is using Idahoan brand instant mashed potatoes. They only take a few minutes to nuke and taste like real!

Lee
Old 03-22-2008, 09:28 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to jerseyjay14
here is a quick easy recipe that you can use that is very quick and hard to mess up... all you need is:

- boneless skinless chicken thighs (you can buy these in the supermarket and its cheaper then breast. its also more flavor and is less likely to dry out as its dark meat)
- small ziplock sandwich bags

for the sauce
- plain yogurt
- curry spice
- cilantro

1) bring a pot of water to a low simmer
2) place thighs in individual sandwich bags, try and get the air out
3) place bags of chicken in the simmering water for 9 or 10 minutes
4) mix the chopped cilantro, 2/3 cup of yogurt, and 1 tablespoon of curry spice together well.
5) slice the chicken into pieces, and toss with the sauce
6) serve over rice

takes 15 minutes tops. and you can substitute your favorite sauce if you dont liek this one.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:23 AM   #17
Master Chef

You can do just about anything with chicken breasts. Here are a bunch of ideas:
Campbell's Kitchen - Recipe Search

Just click "main dish" and "chicken".
Old 03-26-2008, 12:52 AM   #18
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
I know this thread is a couple days old, but I would like to add one thing that my own girls (13 and 16) enjoy. We call it Chicken Bearnaise ~

Season and cook chicken to your liking (marinate and grill, dust in flour and pan fry, etc.)
Prepare Uncle Ben's Long Grain/Wild Rice FAST COOK RECIPE to box directions
Prepare Knorr Bearnaise sauce to package directions (we use 1% milk and real butter)

Now if you have more time or budget (and don't mind extra fat/calories) feel free to make the sauce from scratch with clarified butter and egg yolks. Also feel free to use Hollandaise or a simple white sauce if you like. I tend to spike the packaged sauce with a splash of white wine, lemon or champagne vinegar, but don't do that without adult approval.

Good job looking for ideas, your parents must be proud and appreciate the help!

Serve along with a nice salad or vegetable and fruit.

My girls and DH really like this one, and it's something they can all handle.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:02 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

This recipe is super easy. Not very healthy, but easy and quick and pretty tasty.

Dredge chicken breasts in butter. Coat in crushed up Cheez It's. Bake in 325 degree oven for one hour.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:21 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by missielover View Post
So I am a teenager. I like to cook but latily due to family things I have had to start cooking alot of nights and it is really tireing. I was wondering if any one had a ummy meal that does not take a long time and the main meat is chicken (boneless skinless chicken brest). I can go to the store to get extra things.

~Mary LiZZ~
Wow, Missielover, you must be a godsend to your family. May I adopt you? Wecome to DC and much has already been said. Sometimes just plain chicken salad (steamed chicken breasts, cut up, add some mayo so it sticks together, (hardboiled egg if you like, sweet pickle relish, chopped celery, and chopped onion, with some salt and pepper & poultry seasoning which is optional (if you have picky younger siblings you might want to skip the onion but you can always add onion powder to flavor, and serve over tomato halves resting on lettuce leaves or on some nice bread. Add some steamed veggies on the side and you have a nice easy dish that's nutritious. Some chips are always welcomed by the young crowd.