"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 07-11-2008, 07:29 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
GW.....
I decided to do it tomorrow, but I think you win.... however.....
It's going to be 100 degrees here tomorrow and the a/c is out.....
Got a grill method for that????
Call it Suzi's chicken challenge. :)
You can put the rolled chicken in a disposable foil pan, like a beer-butt chicken, and cook them on the grill that way; it works like an oven. Keep the burners on high and the lid closed as much as possible, and turn about every 10 minutes to brown on all sides. HTH.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:06 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
I'm the guy who has to do things the fancy way. I'd pound the breasts flat, between two sheets of plastic wrap. Then I place a cigar sized tube of mozzarella onto one of the wide ends of the flattened chicken and sprinkle with a chiffanade of basil, and add a pat of butter. Then I'd fold the chiken ends inward and roll it. Dip in flour, egg, and breadcrumbs. Fry in hot oil until the breadcrumbs just start to brown. Put those babies on a cookie sheed and into a 375 degree F. oven for 35 minutes.
+1

I was going to suggest a Chicken Involtini but since GW stole my idea...

However, I would go with Loprraine's suggestion of pasta if you have it. Pasta and those flavors in the chicken would really go well together.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:27 PM   #13
Master Chef

Thanks I.C. I'm still dissapointed that no one took me up on the challenge to make a 5 course theme meal out of oats products. I thought my entrees were pretty tasty, and had a bit of imagination, even if they weren't quite as pretty as the dishes you've posted in the past. Maybe one day we can try the online ironchef competition again. We have lots of new members. Maybe someone will step up to the plate, like maybe SuzieQuzie.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:15 PM   #14
Head Chef

For the chicken..

I would put a little olive oil in a skillet, saute the chicken until done, remove.

Chop up the basil, tomato, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, stir into the drippings in the skillet.
Cook your pasta like normal, just short of being done. Quickly drain and add to the mixture in the skillet, stir to coat and finish in the mixture.

Serve with the chicken laid over the top of the pasta.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:42 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
I'm the guy who has to do things the fancy way. I'd pound the breasts flat, between two sheets of plastic wrap. Then I place a cigar sized tube of mozzarella onto one of the wide ends of the flattened chicken and sprinkle with a chiffanade of basil, and add a pat of butter. Then I'd fold the chiken ends inward and roll it. Dip in flour, egg, and breadcrumbs. Fry in hot oil until the breadcrumbs just start to brown. Put those babies on a cookie sheed and into a 375 degree F. oven for 35 minutes. serve with steamed green beans and some sweet potatoes that have been mashed with a bit of butter, and ginger. Drizzle the sweet spuds with some good honey.

Invite me over. I'll help ya eat it all up.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Actually I've done this before, sorta....
Italian Cordon Bleu if you will......
Pounded, slathered with pesto, then rolled up a stick of mozz. cheese in a slice of proscuitto (sp?) and rolled up the chicken around it..
breaded, browned, baked....
That was good!
I never did end up using my basil this weekend, DH grilled the chicken as is and we ate them plain w/ rice and steamed broccoli.
Good news is, I still have LOTS of basil to play with!

Oh, and I will take you up on a throwdown..... but you gotta wait til my kids are gone again!!!
Old 07-15-2008, 05:26 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
...Oh, and I will take you up on a throwdown..... but you gotta wait til my kids are gone again!!!
You or someone else has to pick the "secret" ingredient. I picked oats last time and came up with 5 dishes, one of them a desert. If you look back a ways, you will find the last Iron Chef competition, though we changed the name of the competition, but I can't remember what it was. It included pictures and recipes of the food.

Bring it on sister. I'm ready and rarin' to go.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:51 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
saute the chicken in garlic and olive oil throw in some basil just at the end top with moz cheese and run under the broiler serve on pasta.
ditto - and you don't even have to run under broiler if you don't want to. Just toss everything while pasta is warm.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:10 PM   #18
Cook

Looks like basil is the popular choice for discussion in here lately! I was just wondering what to do with chicken thighs and fresh basil. I have fresh garlic as well, plus a bunch of peppers and zucchinis. I found a nice recipe for grilled basil chicken on winerant.com that might be helpful for you:

Grilled Basil Chicken and Vegetables

I thought about trying it tonight, but I might look for something lighter that doesn't involve butter.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:24 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00nwater View Post
Looks like basil is the popular choice for discussion in here lately! I was just wondering what to do with chicken thighs and fresh basil. I have fresh garlic as well, plus a bunch of peppers and zucchinis. I found a nice recipe for grilled basil chicken on winerant.com that might be helpful for you:

Grilled Basil Chicken and Vegetables

I thought about trying it tonight, but I might look for something lighter that doesn't involve butter.
It sounds really good. I'd go ahead and make it but sub olive oil for the butter used to coat the chicken before grilling, and serve with basil aioli made with light mayo, instead of basil butter.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:44 PM   #20
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It sounds really good. I'd go ahead and make it but sub olive oil for the butter used to coat the chicken before grilling, and serve with basil aioli made with light mayo, instead of basil butter.
Good call on the olive oil. It must be nap time at work because I didn't even coinsider that!