Chicken, basil, Mozzarella

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
I was going to make a small batch of pesto, but have no parmesan and no $$ to go get any. I wanted to grill my chicken breasts, slice it up and put it over some pasta w/ pesto. I have mozzarella.
I really want to eat my first fresh basil of the season....
What would you do?
Already have the chicken marinating in Italian Dressing....
Wait til tomorrow?

saute the chicken in garlic and olive oil throw in some basil just at the end top with moz cheese and run under the broiler serve on pasta.

Or finish marinading like you would, cook your pasta.
When finished cooking chicken like you intended, cut the chicken into hunks, cut some hunks of mozz, add both to your pasta with some garlic and oil slightly cooked until golden and any veggie-broc, cut up tomato....add
torn basil...............
and enjoy.

I say slit the chicken breasts, stuff them with the basil and mozz, cook them, make a simple pan sauce, and serve it over the pasta. SA bit of chopped tomato would be good. If you don't have parm, sub what you have. Julienned basil on top, and it sounds good to me!:)

I'm the guy who has to do things the fancy way. I'd pound the breasts flat, between two sheets of plastic wrap. Then I place a cigar sized tube of mozzarella onto one of the wide ends of the flattened chicken and sprinkle with a chiffanade of basil, and add a pat of butter. Then I'd fold the chiken ends inward and roll it. Dip in flour, egg, and breadcrumbs. Fry in hot oil until the breadcrumbs just start to brown. Put those babies on a cookie sheed and into a 375 degree F. oven for 35 minutes. serve with steamed green beans and some sweet potatoes that have been mashed with a bit of butter, and ginger. Drizzle the sweet spuds with some good honey.

Invite me over. I'll help ya eat it all up.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

GW.....
I decided to do it tomorrow, but I think you win.... however.....
It's going to be 100 degrees here tomorrow and the a/c is out.....
Got a grill method for that????
Call it Suzi's chicken challenge. :)

GW.....

Got a turkey fryer? If not, heat up some oil in your dutch oven or cast iron pan over the grill. Then, either fry in about 2 inches of oil, turning every few minutes, or deep fry over the grill.

If you omit the breading, and wrap the rouladden in bacon, securing all with water-soaked toohpicks, you can cook them directly on th grill. That would be yummy.:cool:

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

GW.....

You can put the rolled chicken in a disposable foil pan, like a beer-butt chicken, and cook them on the grill that way; it works like an oven. Keep the burners on high and the lid closed as much as possible, and turn about every 10 minutes to brown on all sides. HTH.

I'm the guy who has to do things the fancy way. I'd pound the breasts flat, between two sheets of plastic wrap. Then I place a cigar sized tube of mozzarella onto one of the wide ends of the flattened chicken and sprinkle with a chiffanade of basil, and add a pat of butter. Then I'd fold the chiken ends inward and roll it. Dip in flour, egg, and breadcrumbs. Fry in hot oil until the breadcrumbs just start to brown. Put those babies on a cookie sheed and into a 375 degree F. oven for 35 minutes.

+1

I was going to suggest a Chicken Involtini but since GW stole my idea... ;)

However, I would go with Loprraine's suggestion of pasta if you have it. Pasta and those flavors in the chicken would really go well together.

Thanks I.C. I'm still dissapointed that no one took me up on the challenge to make a 5 course theme meal out of oats products. I thought my entrees were pretty tasty, and had a bit of imagination, even if they weren't quite as pretty as the dishes you've posted in the past. Maybe one day we can try the online ironchef competition again. We have lots of new members. Maybe someone will step up to the plate, like maybe SuzieQuzie.;)

For the chicken..

I would put a little olive oil in a skillet, saute the chicken until done, remove.

Chop up the basil, tomato, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, stir into the drippings in the skillet.
Cook your pasta like normal, just short of being done. Quickly drain and add to the mixture in the skillet, stir to coat and finish in the mixture.

Serve with the chicken laid over the top of the pasta.

I'm the guy who has to do things the fancy way. I'd pound the breasts flat, between two sheets of plastic wrap. Then I place a cigar sized tube of mozzarella onto one of the wide ends of the flattened chicken and sprinkle with a chiffanade of basil, and add a pat of butter. Then I'd fold the chiken ends inward and roll it. Dip in flour, egg, and breadcrumbs. Fry in hot oil until the breadcrumbs just start to brown. Put those babies on a cookie sheed and into a 375 degree F. oven for 35 minutes. serve with steamed green beans and some sweet potatoes that have been mashed with a bit of butter, and ginger. Drizzle the sweet spuds with some good honey.

Invite me over. I'll help ya eat it all up.:LOL:

Actually I've done this before, sorta....
Italian Cordon Bleu if you will......
Pounded, slathered with pesto, then rolled up a stick of mozz. cheese in a slice of proscuitto (sp?) and rolled up the chicken around it..
breaded, browned, baked....
That was good!
I never did end up using my basil this weekend, DH grilled the chicken as is and we ate them plain w/ rice and steamed broccoli.
Good news is, I still have LOTS of basil to play with!

Oh, and I will take you up on a throwdown..... but you gotta wait til my kids are gone again!!! :LOL:

...Oh, and I will take you up on a throwdown..... but you gotta wait til my kids are gone again!!! :LOL:

You or someone else has to pick the "secret" ingredient. I picked oats last time and came up with 5 dishes, one of them a desert. If you look back a ways, you will find the last Iron Chef competition, though we changed the name of the competition, but I can't remember what it was. It included pictures and recipes of the food.

Bring it on sister. I'm ready and rarin' to go.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

saute the chicken in garlic and olive oil throw in some basil just at the end top with moz cheese and run under the broiler serve on pasta.

ditto - and you don't even have to run under broiler if you don't want to. Just toss everything while pasta is warm.

Looks like basil is the popular choice for discussion in here lately! I was just wondering what to do with chicken thighs and fresh basil. I have fresh garlic as well, plus a bunch of peppers and zucchinis. I found a nice recipe for grilled basil chicken on winerant.com that might be helpful for you:

Grilled Basil Chicken and Vegetables

I thought about trying it tonight, but I might look for something lighter that doesn't involve butter.

Looks like basil is the popular choice for discussion in here lately! I was just wondering what to do with chicken thighs and fresh basil. I have fresh garlic as well, plus a bunch of peppers and zucchinis. I found a nice recipe for grilled basil chicken on winerant.com that might be helpful for you:

Grilled Basil Chicken and Vegetables

I thought about trying it tonight, but I might look for something lighter that doesn't involve butter.

It sounds really good. I'd go ahead and make it but sub olive oil for the butter used to coat the chicken before grilling, and serve with basil aioli made with light mayo, instead of basil butter.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom