Chicken breast, garlic salt, lemon pepper...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meeshabeth

Assistant Cook
I have boneless skinless chicken breasts and limited seasonings. I would prefer to cook it in my george foreman grill. I'm wondering if it would be okay to either just use garlic powder, or just lemon pepper to season it. Every recipe I've come across calls for a bunch of other stuff along with those seasonings. I'm really new to this cooking thing. :ermm: Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

if thats all you have you'll be fine. i'd use both.....
if you are able to marinate maybe mix a little oil and vinegar, plu some of your seasonings, and let it sit at least an hour.
welcome and good luck.

Welcome Meeshabeth
looks like you've gotten help with your chicken...That's one of the nice things here at DC..Ask and our great people come and help right now. Hope your dinner is terrific.

kadesma;)

yep - you can do it either way, meeshabeth.
also, the garlic + lemon pepper is really tasty.

I agree with jkath, either or. But in your title you said garlic salt, but in your post you said garlic powder.
Big difference. I never use garlic salt, because I may want more garlic but then you get more salt too. That's not always good. I'd rather be the one to regulate my salt and garlic seperate.
In your chicken, garlic powder w/lemon pepper sounds good. I would sprinkle on both, rub in on all sides and let sit for 30 minutes minimum to 1 hour before cooking.
Good luck, and enjoy.

Unless you have issues with sodium, you should also salt your meat before cooking it. It makes a huge difference in taste.

I use my Forman grill for breasts too. I just pound them so they're on the thin side, sprinkle with Mrs. Dash's original seasoning, grill for about 5 or 6 minutes then add a few drops of Frank's Hot Sauce or Tabasco, or any one of your favorite spicy sauces. This doesn't really make it hot as much as it kicks up the flavor tremendously.

If you use Mrs. Dash's you don't need to add salt. This is a salt-free seasoning but no salt is needed. I have to agree with Jennyema - generally, meat should always be salted. It brings out the flavor of any food.

I love Lawry's Garlic salt on my chicken breasts/steaks/porkchops.
I always use garlic salt and lemon pepper, can't go wrong with those! They are staples in my house :)

Garlic is absolutely one of my favorite ingredients, and I too prefer powder vs salt the for the same reasons mentioned. I would also recommend adding pepper and paprika to enhance the flavor of the garlic , also if you have an acid such as worchestishire sauce or lime (I prefer lime over lemon) add those and let marinate in fridge for 30 min before grilling. Use both and you have a quasi tex mex fajita marinade.

Why don't you brine the chicken breasts first, then sprinkle with lemon juice and some dried rosemary? Brine solution = 1 qt warm Water, 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar, 1/4 C Salt (Kosher is best, but who's counting?). Soak for 1 hour in Fridge, rinse off, add your seasonings (NO Salt) and George them. Check for salt, etc. at the table when you serve them. (bet you won't need any!) You'll find your chicken comes out jucier, sweeter and all 'round gooder. (P.S.: if you want garlic, crush a clove or two and put it in with brining solution)

No, it is an old wive's tale. Besides, we are talking about brining before cooking. SO wash chicken before (always) and after brining. As I said, you probably won't need to add any more salt at the table. Try it, you'll like it!

I heard you shouldn't salt meat before cooking because it dries it out... is this true?
Salt does draw moisture out, but if you salt just before cooking then the salt will not have enough time to do that. The other side of the coin is that if you salt and leave it for a while then it will draw moisture out, but then leave it a little longer and it will actually suck that salty liquid back into the eat. This is known as dry brining and is a great technique. Bottom line is meat should be salted before cooking for best flavor if you are able to do so.

Back
Top Bottom