Chicken pot pie came out way toooo thick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lucyric

Assistant Cook
Hi. I made a chicken pot pie with frozen pie crusts, which came out fine, excpt there was no liquid, it was way too thick. It called for 1/2 c flour and 3 c chicken broth. Since last time I had same problem, I increased broth to 4c, and it was still too thick. Perhaps use less flour? Any thoughts??

I cook my broth, chicken and vegetables to the thickness and flavor I want before pouring it into the pie crust. The baking is just for the crust, not the filling. That way there are no surprises.

I do the same as Selkie, cook the filling first then pour it in the shell and bake.

You can pre-bake the bottom crust first that way it is firmer and doesn't get to soft from absorbing the liquid. I've done is that way before.

If you turn your pies on their sides, and suspend them from wires, will they stop arrows? If so, they'd make dandy archery targets.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm sorry. I couldn't resist. And truly, I wasn't making fun of you. I just pictured a very thick pot pie suspended from wires, in my twisted little mind's eye, and I mean little mind, and got a chuckle.

To be useful though, I do have some advice. AS was stated by constance, the uncooked pie shell might become soggy if broth and flour are added to it. To avoid this, try pre-coking the filling in a pot until the desired results are reached. This will also allow you to correct the seasoning. Blind bake the bottom crust after brushing with egg wash. The egg wash will seal the crust against the moisture and keep it flaky and tender. Then, just add the filling, place the top crust on and poke a few vent holes in it, and bake at high heat to lightly brown and cook the top crust (I'd say 425' F. should work nicely).

Another thing I've done is to use bullion instead of salt in my pie crust, to add extra flavor to the pie.

Keep trying. You will nail this dish with a bit of practice.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

LIke Selkie, I only use a top crust, and if you cook the filling completely, you won't have that problem. You can thin it out during the cooking process.

I bake the puff pastry or biscuit topping separately and set it on before serving.

i used to cook the filling first and put the crust only on top...but now i'm listening to.... "Goodweed of the North". thanks chef!

i used to cook the filling first and put the crust only on top...but now i'm listening to.... "Goodweed of the North". thanks chef!

You're very welcome. To be clear thoough, I'm only a chef of my own, household kitchen. In my house, I am chief of the kitchen, and that's what chef means. I do love to cook though, and have been doing it for about 40 years (I'm 54 now,) I've been head of the kitchen since I go married. My kids, all grown up now, and with families of their own, are all great cooks as well. Only one of them cooks professionally though.

I hope your pot pies come out great.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

To make a decent Veloute you can figure about 1 cup of stock and use one ounce of flour and one ounce of butter to make a thickening roux. It is basically a chicken gravy and if you have a good recipe for that then I would use it.

Back
Top Bottom