Chicken salads?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oogmonster

Assistant Cook
I have mixed baby greens, red cabbage, apples, crazins & canned chicken. Seems easy enough to make some kind of salad, but i'm hesitant- not sure if these really "go" together. Generally I don't love sweets in with the salads, but was thinking maybe something could be added to make it work-any help is greatly apreciated!:ermm:

I have mixed baby greens, red cabbage, apples, crazins & canned chicken. Seems easy enough to make some kind of salad, but i'm hesitant- not sure if these really "go" together. Generally I don't love sweets in with the salads, but was thinking maybe something could be added to make it work-any help is greatly apreciated!:ermm:
If you have a small amount of red onion you can dice it and add to the chicken, shred your cabbage and add to the greens, dice up the apples add to chicken throw in some of the crazins as well add a little mayo to bind the chicken and other thing together and put on top of the cabbage and lettuce that you've dressed with a tiny bit of evoo and rice wine or red wine vinegar...Serve chilled with crackers or a roll enjoy.
You don't have to put a lot of the sweet things but my famiy finds them refreshing in chicken,tuna or turkey salads.
kadesma:)

Like kadesma, I would shred your cabbage and toss with your greens and divide among your plates. Then, I would slice the apple thin and put on the cabbage and greens along with your drained and rinsed chicken and a half a handful of craisins to each salad. I would find something savory to add to off set the craisins, though, like blue cheese or some toasted walnuts or pecans. If you have a raspberry vinaigrette ,that would be a good dressing or poppyseed perhaps or just vinegar and EVOO.

If you are looking for a chicken salad for a sandwich, I would go with what kadesma suggested ... mix your chicken, chopped apple and craisins with a little mayo. I put dijon mustard and cashews in ours as well.

Do yourself a big favor & do a "search" here on "chicken salad". There's a long thread currently running on favorite chicken salad recipes, & there have been many others in the past.

If you have some onion, chicken broth celery.. you could make a chicken based cabbage soup.. save the crazins for munchies..

This one I've personally tried and is probably from foodnetwork; though I don't remember good .. but I can guess :)
Ingredients

• 4 cups diced poached chicken, recipe follows
  • 1 stalk celery, cut into 1/4-inch dice
  • 4 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced or 1/4 cup sweet onion cut into 1/4-inch dice
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh tarragon or fresh dill
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
  • 1 cup prepared or homemade mayonnaise
  • 2 teaspoons strained freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
Directions

In a mixing bowl, toss together the chicken, celery, scallions and herbs. Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, mustard, salt and pepper to taste. Add to the chicken and mix gently until combined. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Cook's Note: Serve on a bed of lettuce with sliced tomatoes, in half an avocado or in a chicken club sandwich made with artisanal bread, crispy smoked bacon, vine-ripened tomatoes and lettuce.
  • POACHED CHICKEN FOR SALADS
  • 10 sprigs parsley
  • 2 sprigs fresh thyme
  • 1 small onion, halved
  • 1 small carrot, halved
  • 1 stalk celery, halved
  • 3 pounds chicken breasts halves, on the bone and fat trimmed
  • 5 to 6 cups chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium canned
Put the parsley, thyme, onion, carrot, celery, and chicken breasts in a medium saucepan. Cover with the broth, and bring just to a boil. Lower the heat to very low and cover. Poach the chicken for 20 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove the pan from the heat, uncover, cool the chicken in the liquid for 30 minutes.
Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and reserve the liquid. Bone and skin the chicken and cut the meat into 1 inch cubes. Discard the bones and skin.
Strain the broth and store, covered, in the refrigerator for 3 days or freeze for later use. Remove any fat from the surface of the broth before using. Yield: 4 cups cubed chicken or 4 to 6 servings

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom