Chocolate screw-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thetramp

Assistant Cook
I was following a two-part recipe for hand-dipped chocolates and messed up. I was left over with this combination: 2¼ cups sugar, one pound of melted chocolate chips and a five-oz can of evaporate milk. I'm not enough of a cook to turn this into anything so I would appreciate any suggestions. I hat to throw this away.

Thanks much,

The tramp

I thought of that but the way the ingredients are combined didn't make sense. But I'm not a cook by any means and I may try that if I don't see any other suggestions. I was wondering if I could turn it into a cake but it seems like it might be very sweet.

Is this already mixed up? Would it work as a chocolate sauce to pour over ice cream?

That's a great idea. Also, it might work as a chocolate frosting, mixed in the stand mixer with some softened or melted butter.

Unless the sugar is melted in the chocolate and milk, it would be an awfully grainy chocolate frosting if you tried to add it to beaten sweet butter.

That is really your problem. You don't want to burn the chocolate and milk but you don't want to feel the sugar granules in an icing or a chocolate sauce or a mousse.

The way you test for that is by taking a little and rubbing between your fingers, if it is smooth, go ahead, if not and it is grainy, you need to somehow melt the sugar.

It is why it might be best to make more batches of the recipe.

Yes, you can turn it into a frosting without it being "grainy".... There are a number of frostings/icings which are made without heating some ingredient to "melt" or to "dissolve" the sugar. You're looking at quite a bit of frosting with the quantity of ingredients you listed. Do you have an immediate use for this? This probably wouldn't be the best sugestion for that reason alone.

You can also make the chocolate cake you thought of, though it would be either a larger cake or you would have several. If you don't mind freezing a cake, that could also be a use for your ingredients. I have some "scratch" recipes if you need any. Also, chocolate pound cake or chocolate "bread", made without yeast is another option.

How about a fudge sauce for ice cream or other desserts? You may also make a chocolate pudding, using about half of your left over ingredients and using the other half for something else.

What about making some fudge? how about some truffles? Truffles are easier than you think..... And with the holidays, either of these sweets would be a welcomed treat!

If you need recipes for anything, just post the request.

Idea.. put it multiple containers and freeze. You can then pull out some.. maybe make a mole' sauce for something.
How about using as the flavoring in chocolate mouse,
Slowly bring it to a boil making it "fudge like" serve over ice cream.

use as a filling in a truffle. Get some mascarpone cheese and mix with it, pipe into cannoli..

Idea.. put it multiple containers and freeze. You can then pull out some.. maybe make a mole' sauce for something.
How about using as the flavoring in chocolate mouse,
Slowly bring it to a boil making it "fudge like" serve over ice cream.

use as a filling in a truffle. Get some mascarpone cheese and mix with it, pipe into cannoli..

Listen to Queen Guinevere. She's a Pastry Person par Excellence!

as for mole..... I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want a sugary mole. sounds kinda awful..... :wacko:

Back
Top Bottom