Chopped Basket...new game

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
Okay, imagine you are a contestant on Chopped and these are the ingredients in the basket:

1 eggplant
3 tomatoes
16 oz of chickpeas
1 haberno (sp) pepper
1 onion
3 cloves garlic
1 lb firm tofu

Access to the limited pantry. Fruit: lime, lemon, dried fruit (figs, apricots, cranberries, raisins, currents, dates), greens (Swiss Chard, Kale, Spinach), grains (barley, brown rice, cous-cous, buglar wheat), fresh herbs, various vinegars and oils. Sardines, canned salmon, smoked oysters. Cheeses: parm, moteray (sp) jack, cheddar, swiss, ricotta, and cream cheese.

What would you make for a main, how would you prep it, and what would you grab from the pantry? Remember, you have 30 minutes.

Once you have presented your idea of what to do with these ingredients, challenge us with another basket.

Last edited:
With these ingredients I would saute the eggplant, tomatoes, onion and garlic. Then, I would add it to cooked bulger along with the chickpeas. I would season with herbs and olive oil.

With the tofu, I would press it, marinate it, and then grill it so it is crunchy on the outside. The marinade would be maple syrup, habenaro, S&P, olive oil, and perhaps some more garlic. The maple syrup would caramalize and get the outside nice and crunchy.

To plate, I'd place a pile of the bulgar mix in a bowl and top with the grilled tofu and some microgreens that had been tossed in the marinade. :)

I think this would be delicious!!!

- - -

NEXT BASKET:

This would be for an appetizer course. Your mystery ingredients would be fish sauce, oranges, and frozen french fries. (I'm making this HARD! LOL)

Pantry would be similar to above.

I am thinking about it...I don't have frozen fries, but can make fresh ones. I also don't have any oranges at the moment...the only thing that comes to mind is an asian-inspired poutine...

Back
Top Bottom