"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 09-27-2010, 12:50 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Most any cookware is OK in the oven to 350-375 F. I don't even think about it anymore.

Where the OP said it was such a small roast, I figured it would fit the skillet. However, using a foil lid if necessary is a good idea.
I was thinking of the exception, Revere Ware. The plastic handles don't work well in an oven. I have nothing that won't go from the stove top to the oven

Old 09-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

From the Revereware website:

Revere Copper Clad 7 pc Cookware set includes 1 each: 1-quart covered saucepan, 1-1/2-quart covered saucepan, 4-1/2-quart covered dutch oven, 9-inch open skillet
Soft, ergonomic, "pistol grip" stay-cool handles ensure a confident, comfortable hold
Stainless-steel covers offer straining and steaming positions plus stay-cool, soft-grip knobs for safe, easy lid removal
Dishwasher Safe
Can be used in the oven up to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
25 Year Limited Warranty

Old 10-05-2010, 11:21 PM   #13
Head Chef

Since you are just starting out you might try braising the meat and veggies in the rectangular pan in the oven covered with tin foil. Also, for about $20.00 you can get some servicable used pots and pans from a Salvation Army store to tide you over until you can afford better stuff. Best wishes.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #14
Head Chef

Buying used is the best way to stock a kitchen on a budget. Generally cheap and of better quality than new. Nearlyall of my pots and pans were purchased used.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #15
Half Baked

My wife and I when first married bought most of our unique seving diahes and ware used at flea markets and garage sales.
We had a bigger collection that anyone we knew.Two,three and four compartment trays,egg servers and relish sets.We used to throw a lot of parties.Kids changed all that!

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:56 AM   #16
Mr. Greenjeans

Craig's list!
Old 10-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #17
Master Chef

Sam's club had sets of fine bone china, we got, it was like a 1/10 of the price in stores like Macy's. Same exact stuff. No need to buy old junk. Just have to look for. In Nemen Markus they have clearance flor where they sell a lot of stuff too. We got a huge set silverewhere there for $99. Original price was around $600.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:09 PM   #18
Mr. Greenjeans

Um just so you know. I just bought a 7 quart crock pot at Walmart this weekend for $19. Sure its not a "great" one but it worked!!!
Old 10-12-2010, 05:37 PM   #19
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Good Eats did an episode called "A chuck for Chuck" where AB used several layers of heavy-duty aluminum foil to make a pouch to cook the roast in.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

OP took me back in time - just starting out and without every kitchen utensil and pot and pan. But, as my hubby (who is in construction) says: For every job there is a tool :0) So, invest in good kitchen equipment as you go along in life. It will pay for itself a hundredfold - IF YOU COOK AT HOME. Good for you - cooking at home instead of eating out or doing the 'instant' route. I applaud you!