"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 07-18-2015, 08:48 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Packages go into my freezer with a date as well as identifying the contents.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:52 PM   #12
Master Chef

Same as Andy. I keep a black Sharpie in the drawer next to the fridge and write the date on the bag and what's in it. I've had too many surprises in the past by not doing that , now it's just habit.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:34 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I also keep a list using a white board marker on the freezer. Since I have more than one freezer, I don't go digging in the wrong spot for the treasure I seek.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:47 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I label contents and date and sometimes even intended use. I am not organized enough to use a white board, though it sounds like a good idea.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:07 AM   #15
Master Chef

How was your deer steak, Zagut? Probably yummy, since you said you were using bacon. Mmmm, bacon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Packages go into my freezer with a date as well as identifying the contents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Same as Andy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I label contents and date and sometimes even intended use...
What, no sense of adventure? Actually, fresh foods do get labeled and dated most of the time. Leftovers? Not always, hence every excavation has the potential for a new surprise.

Back in the early days when Himself was still feigning "helpful", he would label the packages. "Pork Butt" became an image of a pig's hiney. He was then relieved of his duties.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:25 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
What, no sense of adventure? Actually, fresh foods do get labeled and dated most of the time. Leftovers? Not always, hence every excavation has the potential for a new surprise.
Sure, sometimes the labels become illegible.
Quote:
Back in the early days when Himself was still feigning "helpful", he would label the packages. "Pork Butt" became an image of a pig's hiney. He was then relieved of his duties.
I love the idea of that kind of graphics. I'm reminded of the time a friend of Stirling's added things to his shopping list. One of the items was "norkfronters". Stirling's mum came over while he was at work. She took the list and bought everything on it. She left a note that the norkfronters were in the crisper. He found a bag of grapes labelled "norkfronters" in the crisper.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:32 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
I label contents and date and sometimes even intended use. I am not organized enough to use a white board, though it sounds like a good idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
How was your deer steak, Zagut? Probably yummy, since you said you were using bacon. Mmmm, bacon.

The Deer steaks wonderful CG.
Even had the leftovers as a steak sandwich today for lunch.
I'm glad to see you call it an excavation because that's what it is sometimes.
Surprises are a good thing. These Bambi steaks were a great find.

And things can get lost in the depths of the freezer only to see the light of day when uncovered by something else's use.

That's what I was looking for when I asked for lost stories.

I usually label and date what goes in but sometimes things are missed.
I knew what these steaks were I just didn't know the date.

I also couldn't use a whiteboard. I'd forget to add or subtract and soon wouldn't have a clue to what was in there.

Oh and I love the pig's hiney idea. If I had any drawing ability at all I be using that method to label my freezer contents.

Quote:
Sure, sometimes the labels become illegible.
I love the idea of that kind of graphics. I'm reminded of the time a friend of Stirling's added things to his shopping list. One of the items was "norkfronters". Stirling's mum came over while he was at work. She took the list and bought everything on it. She left a note that the norkfronters were in the crisper. He found a bag of grapes labelled "norkfronters" in the crisper.
I just had to google norkfronters.

Only 1 result.
https://www.google.com/#q=norkfronters

Your on to something TL.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:57 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
...I'm reminded of the time a friend of Stirling's added things to his shopping list. One of the items was "norkfronters". Stirling's mum came over while he was at work. She took the list and bought everything on it. She left a note that the norkfronters were in the crisper. He found a bag of grapes labelled "norkfronters" in the crisper.
Dictating the grocery list to Himself while I did other things was an adventure too. Heaven forbid I lose one while in the store, only to be found by another shopper wondering what "poot berries"* or "bees' knees and mosquito knuckles"** were. There are jobs I just don't ask him to do anymore!

*mushrooms
**long grain and wild rice mix
Old 07-21-2015, 07:39 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

I have on the front of my fridge a magnetic pencil holder from the days of my granddaughter's H.S. days. I bought it for her to place inside her locker so she could keep a supply of pens and pencils. Well, her oldest child is now old enough to go off to college in a month or two. I keep a supply of small scissors in it as well as well as markers and pens. I try to cut out the labels of the meats when I am repackaging them for the freezer. The labels go just inside the last wrap and are visible through the freezer zippy bag. If I do not have enough room for all of the meats in one zippy bag, then I use the marker for the next package. But cutting out those labels has all the info I need and look for when I am buying and well as preparing the meats for the freeze.

Now if I could only figure out a way of placing the meats in the freezer so I can just reach in and find what I want on the first try. Of course, I want to make a hamburger and the ground meat is right at the very bottom and way in back. I start out with all the good intentions. It just doesn't say that way after my first foray into the depths of the freezer. It is so much easier at the end of the month when it is almost empty.

Oh yeah. My GD every so often will send me an email asking me if I still have that pencil holder and am I using it. I ignore her email.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:07 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Sometimes I cut of the labels and put them in the freezer bag too.

Tags
freezer