Coconut Milk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Butternut squash soup

Boil cubed butternut squash in milk.

Purée

Add the can of coconut milk to the puréed squash

Season to taste and add some of the cooking milk to it if it needs to thin out

I buy a 4-cup Tetra Pak of So Delicious Coconut milk to keep on hand. I never need to use all four cups, so what isn't needed when I open the carton goes into a Tupperware container and into the freezer. Works just fine in the next recipe.

Coconut cake. I saw a recipe recently but can't remember where. Should be on-line if you Google

I use it to make a Vietnamese recipe I "borrowed" from the Ana Mandara restaurant in San Francisco called Maha-Mahi in coconut caramel sauce. Ana Mandara is no lonmger open, so I now claim this recipe as my own.

Mahi-Mahi in Coconut Caramel Sauce

Ingredients:

4 mahi-mahi fillets, 6oz each
½ cup all-purpose flour

Marinade

¼ cup sesame oil
¼ cup lemon juice
¼ cup lite soy sauce
¼ cup hoi sin sauce
2 tsp turbinado or demerara sugar
1 Tbs chili garlic sauce
2 tsp Chinese five spice
1 tsp ground ginger

Sauce

2 cups turbinado or demerara sugar
1½ cups coconut milk
3 Tbs Asian fish sauce
¼ cup minced shallots
1 Tbs minced fresh ginger
1 tsp garlic, minced
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
Fresh ground black pepper
2 scallions, white and green parts, sliced very thin

Instructions:

In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the marinade ingredients together. Put the mahi-mahi fillets into a large zippered plastic bag. Pour in the marinade, squeeze out the air, zip the bag closed and allow the mahi-mahi to marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 4 hours. Remove the mahi-mahi from the bag, pat it dry with paper towels and discard the marinade.
Dredge the fillets in flour and grill them, turning once, until they flake easily with a fork.
Place the sugar in a 10-inch frying pan over medium heat. Whisk the sugar until it is melted and dark amber colored, 3 to 5 minutes. Add ½ cup coconut milk to the melted sugar; the mixture will bubble vigorously. Stir the mixture over medium heat until the caramelized sugar is completely dissolved. Add the fish sauce, shallots, ginger, garlic, and remaining coconut milk and stir over medium-high heat until the sauce is the desired thickness. Pour the sauce over the plated fish fillets, then garnish each one with green onions and add fresh ground black pepper to taste.

Butternut squash soup

Boil cubed butternut squash in milk.

Purée

Add the can of coconut milk to the puréed squash

Season to taste and add some of the cooking milk to it if it needs to thin out

Now here I was thinking you all were nice folks. :(

You've only given me many, many ways to use coconut milk and ways to procure it.

Now I'll need to experiment with all the different recipe's and uses suggested.

See what 1 stray can in the pantry can do. :mad:

SLOB that sauce looks like it could be used on much more then fish. :yum:

jennyema, Another soup I need to experience. :rolleyes:

And Mad Cook, You just had to bring cake into it. :ermm:

CG. looks like I need to find a source for fresh CM as it seems I'm going to be playing with it more and more. :chef:

Here are two Thai curry paste recipes. They are time consuming, but the results are well worth the effort as no jarred paste can compare, IMO. When you actually make a curry with them, coconut milk is usually the first ingredient called for. You scoop out the thick cream into the pot, reserving the thinner milk. The curry paste gets added to the heated cream.

Thai Yellow Curry Paste

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/thai-yellow-curry-paste-96033.html

Thai Red Curry Paste
scroll down the page to find the recipe

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f8/how-to-make-smooth-curry-paste-95669.html

These pastes are not "hot". To kick up the heat level you can add Thai chilis, serranos or habs to your liking.

Last edited:
I just made the most delicious rice w using coconut milk & a little bit of water. From now on will only be using that to make any type of chinese or thai dish. But thats an idea, very simple. You pour can into pot with rice little bit of water and simmer on low for 30 mins. Makes it nice and creamy and just really moist.

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

I've got a feeling this can will be gone this week. :chef:

So far Tom Kha soup in on the list.

After all it is the soup time of year.

I found these here.
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/tom-ka-gai-16762-2.html

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/today-menu-is-tom-kha-gai-thai-coconut-chicken-soup-66144.html

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/thai-coconut-milk-soup-with-chicken-36776.html

And Mr. Google has more to say. :wacko:

Curry is a wonderful suggestion but I'm always stymied by the number of different curries available and there difference in taste.
I need a curry for dummies book. :LOL:

Still don't know what dish I bought it for but I at least now have a dish to use it in thanks to you nice folks.
Funny you should mention Indian cookbooks for “dummies.” I was just enjoying two books books that are perfect for both novices and experts. Both are available in digital format for Kindle on Amazon.

The first, and my favorite, is Made in India by Meera Sodha. Ms. Sodha covers everything from samosas to lahti, and has comprehensive lists of of all those unfamiliar ingredients, how they taste, what goes with them, how to prepare and cook them, and, as an added bonus, some very beautiful pictures, which is rare in an ebook!

An Invitation to Indian Cooking by Madhur Jaffrey is also very good, although Ms. Jaffrey tends to be a bit more geared towards people who have some inkling of what they’re doing. There is a very nice chapter on meal planning and sample menus, which was very helpful to me.

Indian cooking doesn’t have to be complicated, difficult, or ingredient heavy. Some lentils, a few spices, some onions and cooked basmati rice or an easily made Indian flat bread and boom! There’s lunch or dinner!

Zagut, it is in the refrigerated section near the soy milk, almond milk, etc. In 1/2 gallon containers, of coconut milk (not sure how fresh that makes it), it goes on sale periodically for $2.49 per half gallon, usually much more. Since it lasts so long, I just buy it on sale. I really like it and it can be used for so many things.
I’ve never bought the stuff, although I’ve seen it on the shelf. It’s sold as a milk substitute, so I figured it really didn’t taste “coconutty.” Does it?

Are some of us confusing coconut milk with coconut milk?

There's coconut milk that comes in a half-gallon carton in the dairy section that's meant as a substitute for cow's milk. It's similar to soy, almond and rice milk.

Then there's coconut milk in a 10-12 ounce can that's thick and creamy and is meant for cooking curries and other yummy stuff.

THIS is the stuff we cook with:

Attachments

• Unknown.jpg
    Unknown.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 83

There's coconut milk that comes in a half-gallon carton in the dairy section that's meant as a substitute for cow's milk. It's similar to soy, almond and rice milk.

Then there's coconut milk in a 10-12 ounce can that's thick and creamy and is meant for cooking curries and other yummy stuff.

Each product should have a distinct name, perhaps.

The coconut milk that is sold as a milk substitute is used in cooking though. It’s a milk substitute, so it’s used when a recipe calls for “milk.”

Each product should have a distinct name, perhaps.

The coconut milk that is sold as a milk substitute is used in cooking though. It’s a milk substitute, so it’s used when a recipe calls for “milk.”

I'm annoyed by the whole alternative milk thing. It shouldn't be allowed to be called milk unless it came from a mammal's udders.

I'm annoyed by the whole alternative milk thing. It shouldn't be allowed to be called milk unless it came from a mammal's udders.
Well, for most of these “milks,” ya gotta squeeze something to make it ;)
Humans make milk too, and I don’t think the women on this forum would appreciate their breasts being called “udders!”

Last edited:

Exactly!
We actually dont have dairy coconut milk here i drink almomd milk unsweetened and have yet to see that here yet!
Only way ill make rice from now on is with that canned light coconut milk. Num!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom