Coconut Milk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagut

Head Chef
While spelunking in the pantry I found a can of "Lite Coconut Milk" I bought for a recipe I can't remember and obviously never made.

What can I do with it besides tossing it?

I've never used it before and am interested in any ideas you good folk can suggest.

Maybe I can use it in a batch of chili since almost anything works in the many variations of chili known to mankind. ;)

Tom Kha soup! You can put chicken or shrimp in it, or not. I didn't have galangal (need to find some) but ginger works.

Thinking. Chicken broth, some chopped green onions, I used grated frozen gingerroot, along with your coconut milk and a bit of lime juice, or kaffir lime leaves. Lemongrass.

Some good recipes online.

I could bathe in the stuff.

Last edited:
Curry. Rice pudding.

Dawg, most oriental markets have galangal in the freezer section.

Last edited:
I make a Burmese dish ( similar to the Tom Kha soup above).
Fry up some garlic/ oil ( a clove or two)

Dump in the following:
1 can coconut milk
Equal amount of chicken broth ( I use veg chicken broth )
My Friend added chicken, and hard boiled quail eggs ( I didnt I add other vegetarian crap)

Cook linguini ( or an Asian-type noodle) and drain.

When pasta is done , put a portioned amount in a soup-like bowl
Add on top of the pasta:
-Some fried garlic
-Some chopped cilantro
-A squeeze of lime
-A few shakes of hot pepper flakes if you desire

Then ladle the coconut soup on top.

Thats it.
(requires both fork and spoon to eat)

My son loves it.

Curry. Rice pudding.

Dawg, most oriental markets have galangal in the freezer section.

Good point. Our nearest oriental market is 45 minutes away, but I'm putting it on the list for the next time I drive by.

Eta: GG beat me to this as I was typing, but here's my recipe.

If you happen to have a curry powder, how about a quick coconut curry chicken?

Place 2 tbsps of peanut or veggie oil in a wok or deep fry pan over medium/high heat, then add 2 tbsps curry powder and stir in for a minute or two.
Cut a medium onion into quarters and then into thin slices, and saute it in the curry oil for a few minutes with 4 minced cloves of garlic and just a 1/4 tsp of minced ginger.

Turn down the heat to medium and add 2 lbs of cubed chicken breast. Stir fry until almost cooked through, then add a can(15 oz?) of crushed or diced tomatoes, and a small can of tomato paste that's been thinned down with a little water. Stir, then add the coconut milk (14 oz can) and 3 or 4 tbsps of sugar. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, then uncover and stir as it thickens until the desired consistency.

If you like spicy curries, add sambal olek or sriracha to taste when you add the sugar.

Serve over white rice. Start to finish, you should be able to make this in about 30 minutes.

Hth.

Last edited:
Or how about a dessert?

Pour the coconut milk into a saucepan over low heat. Dissolve 3 or 4 tbsps of sugar in a little water and add to the coconut milk. If you have them, toss in a few cardamom pods. Stir as the sweetened coconut milk reduces into a syrup like consistency.

As the coconut milk reduces, prepare some short grain (sushi) rice, and let it cool.

Peel and slice a ripe mango into wedges, place next to rice, and pour the warm, sweetened coconut milk over top, removing the cardamom pods if you added them.

Oooh! Coconut ice cream! I don't have a recipe, but it's a staple in Mexico.

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

I've got a feeling this can will be gone this week. :chef:

So far Tom Kha soup in on the list.

After all it is the soup time of year.

I found these here.
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/tom-ka-gai-16762-2.html

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/today-menu-is-tom-kha-gai-thai-coconut-chicken-soup-66144.html

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/thai-coconut-milk-soup-with-chicken-36776.html

And Mr. Google has more to say. :wacko:

Curry is a wonderful suggestion but I'm always stymied by the number of different curries available and there difference in taste.
I need a curry for dummies book. :LOL:

Still don't know what dish I bought it for but I at least now have a dish to use it in thanks to you nice folks.

One of my fave ways to use coconut milk is in butternut squash soup, especially this time of year. Lovely with a slice or two of toasted garlic bread. :yum: If you can grab a butternut squash at your grocers, have a can or two of chicken broth on hand and a few simple spices, it makes up a great soup.

You could just use a teaspoon or two of McCormicks yellow curry powder - easy to find and it would be just fine. :)

Here's a couple of recipes if you're interested:

Coconut Butternut Squash Soup Recipe - NYT Cooking

Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Last edited:
While spelunking in the pantry I found a can of "Lite Coconut Milk" I bought for a recipe I can't remember and obviously never made.

What can I do with it besides tossing it?

I've never used it before and am interested in any ideas you good folk can suggest.

Maybe I can use it in a batch of chili since almost anything works in the many variations of chili known to mankind. ;)
I put canned coconut milk in the refrigerator until it turns to cream then I add some Truvia and beat it with a mixer until it forms peaks. It's good on pies. Try it.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Just wanted to thank you all again for the wonderful suggestions. :)

I was going to make Tom Kha soup because it sounds really good but I found this http://plan.safeway.com/Recipes/Categories/Soups/36/Hot-Soups/93/West-African-Chicken-Soup/60404 and had all the ingredients on hand except the sweet taters.

It turned out really good and I suggest you give it a try. ;)

I didn't use canned black-eyed peas as I had dried.

I assume my chicken stock was gluten free but it was what I'd made and had in the freezer. :wacko:

Sorry but I like chunky so the peanut butter wasn't creamy. :eek:

And the thyme was dried and not fresh so the amount was adjusted. :chef:

But now I have a bigger problem. :mad:

I really want to try some of the recipe's you guys have posted so now I've got to go out and buy more coconut milk. :LOL:

See what happens when you dig too deep into the pantry. :bash:

Zagut, At first with coconut milk bought in a carton (1/2 gal) in the refrigerator, I thought it would go bad quickly like milk, but it doesn't. It lasts weeks in the refrigerator (if not months). It's great to have on hand, for smoothies to curries. When you buy it, check out the expiration date.

Blissful this was a canned product.
Is there "fresh" coconut milk on the market?
Haven't seen it here but I never really looked for it.

And I'm one of those who doesn't call it an expiration date.
I use the term "best by" date.
The quality may diminish but there is no magic number that makes it go bad.

Zagut, it is in the refrigerated section near the soy milk, almond milk, etc. In 1/2 gallon containers, of coconut milk (not sure how fresh that makes it), it goes on sale periodically for $2.49 per half gallon, usually much more. Since it lasts so long, I just buy it on sale. I really like it and it can be used for so many things.

Now that's just not fair Steve.
Adding another great looking recipe into the mix when I've only just begun.
And thanks for a curry recipe that doesn't say "curry powder".
Way to many variations of them to mean much as far as what it will taste like.

Zagut, it is in the refrigerated section near the soy milk, almond milk, etc. In 1/2 gallon containers, of coconut milk (not sure how fresh that makes it), it goes on sale periodically for $2.49 per half gallon, usually much more. Since it lasts so long, I just buy it on sale. I really like it and it can be used for so many things.

Looks like I'll need to pay more attention when I go shopping.
Good to know.
Thanks.

I use it to make a Vietnamese recipe I "borrowed" from the Ana Mandara restaurant in San Francisco called Maha-Mahi in coconut caramel sauce. Ana Mandara is no lonmger open, so I now claim this recipe as my own.

Mahi-Mahi in Coconut Caramel Sauce

Ingredients:

4 mahi-mahi fillets, 6oz each
½ cup all-purpose flour

Marinade

¼ cup sesame oil
¼ cup lemon juice
¼ cup lite soy sauce
¼ cup hoi sin sauce
2 tsp turbinado or demerara sugar
1 Tbs chili garlic sauce
2 tsp Chinese five spice
1 tsp ground ginger

Sauce

2 cups turbinado or demerara sugar
1½ cups coconut milk
3 Tbs Asian fish sauce
¼ cup minced shallots
1 Tbs minced fresh ginger
1 tsp garlic, minced
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
Fresh ground black pepper
2 scallions, white and green parts, sliced very thin

Instructions:

In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the marinade ingredients together. Put the mahi-mahi fillets into a large zippered plastic bag. Pour in the marinade, squeeze out the air, zip the bag closed and allow the mahi-mahi to marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 4 hours. Remove the mahi-mahi from the bag, pat it dry with paper towels and discard the marinade.
Dredge the fillets in flour and grill them, turning once, until they flake easily with a fork.
Place the sugar in a 10-inch frying pan over medium heat. Whisk the sugar until it is melted and dark amber colored, 3 to 5 minutes. Add ½ cup coconut milk to the melted sugar; the mixture will bubble vigorously. Stir the mixture over medium heat until the caramelized sugar is completely dissolved. Add the fish sauce, shallots, ginger, garlic, and remaining coconut milk and stir over medium-high heat until the sauce is the desired thickness. Pour the sauce over the plated fish fillets, then garnish each one with green onions and add fresh ground black pepper to taste.

Back
Top Bottom