College Recipes I'm starving!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TeonW

Assistant Cook
So I made the istake of leaving some ingredients in the general Fridge. I'm reduced to:

All purpose flour
Olive oil
Soy sauce
Butter (2 Sticks)
Heavy cream
A very Large bag of oatmeal
A Habenaero pepper marinade mix (must have been too spicy for them to eat)
Sugar

And various spices from Parsley to Dill and Cinnimon etc.

I need something to eat!

I was thinking of making dumplings but I lack the broth and/or animal fat

I didn't see baking powder listed but maybe you can get some...

You have NO other ingredients...??:ermm:

Indian Fry Bread
Fry bread is a staple in the diet of most Indian tribes. Although the recipe may vary slightly among tribes, this particular recipe is from the Navajo Tribe. The bread is excellent for serving with stew, beans, honey, or any other food. Can also coat it with cinnamon and sugar mixture when taken out of the oil (takes like a churro!)

Ingredients
2 cups unsifted flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
Pour ingredients into mixing bowl. Add warm water and stir until dough is consistency of bread. Let dough set for 30 minutes before rolling or patting out with hands.
Tear off balls of dough and roll or pat out with hand into pieces 6 to 8 inches in diameter and 1/4 inch thick. If rolled out on board, dust lightly with flour or cornmeal. Punch a hole in the center of each piece to make it cook more evenly and not burst due to air bubbles.
Fry one piece at a time in hot oil (400 degrees and about 2 to 3 inches deep) until light brown on both sides. Drain on absorbent paper and serve,or
Sprinkle with sugar mixture for a dessert!:chef:

Baking powder I can get from the liquer store hopefully...Just an idea of how the Store shortage is. I'll run up there, in this storm...for baking powder... excellent recipe!

where are you located??
While you are at the store grab a couple more ingredients!!;)

I'm in Frostburg Md, I've only got like 5 bux to my name... It's supposed to be for the thanksgiving fund but I figure we'll need Baking Powder anyway!

As too the spicy oatmeal... mmmmaybe after I exhausted my other resources, that sauce is verrry spicy

I tend to burn through rice, and ramen in this place, I'd get like 3 packs before It's ripped to shreds, besides It's near a campus so like a single pack of ramen is like 50 cents. I have some beans, So I may make a soup of some sort with it, then maybe it'll last a while

Keep some bouillon on hand and hide it in your closet so you can have chicken broth whenever you want.

Hmm... $5..

Buy 1lb hamburger if its on sale,
1 loaf of bread
bag of potatoes.

You can live for a week on that...
If you have enough left.. buy milk. Make Hamburger Gravy.
one person, you should have enough gravy for at least 2 meals if not more.
Simply fry up the hamburger. When its done remove most but not all the grease. Sprinkle with 2-3 tbls of flour. Let that brown a bit, add milk and water(to stretch the milk out further, make it last longer) and stir. Bring that to a boil and let it thicken. Season with Salt and pepper. serve over the bread.

The potatoes you can bake or slice and fry. Fried potatoes makes a good solid meal. Simply fry in the olive oil. If desired a bit of the habanero on it might be good.

You have oatmeal for breakfast....

When I was just starting out I lived on almost nothing for food. Hamburger, potatoes, beans, cheap ham flavoring pieces became my staples. A 5lb bag of potatoes provides a lot of food for the cost.

Thanks for that indian fry bread recipe, since then I've made about three batches (once I made a batch and shared it people were happy to by me more ingredients!) I've made a butter garlic and herb cover for it and have been eating it with beans, peans and other cheap lentils. I'll try the potato one to, because I love cooking stews! and fried potatoes are good for breakfast too!

I didn't see baking powder listed but maybe you can get some...

You have NO other ingredients...??:ermm:

Indian Fry Bread
Fry bread is a staple in the diet of most Indian tribes. Although the recipe may vary slightly among tribes, this particular recipe is from the Navajo Tribe. The bread is excellent for serving with stew, beans, honey, or any other food. Can also coat it with cinnamon and sugar mixture when taken out of the oil (takes like a churro!)

Ingredients
2 cups unsifted flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
Pour ingredients into mixing bowl. Add warm water and stir until dough is consistency of bread. Let dough set for 30 minutes before rolling or patting out with hands.
Tear off balls of dough and roll or pat out with hand into pieces 6 to 8 inches in diameter and 1/4 inch thick. If rolled out on board, dust lightly with flour or cornmeal. Punch a hole in the center of each piece to make it cook more evenly and not burst due to air bubbles.
Fry one piece at a time in hot oil (400 degrees and about 2 to 3 inches deep) until light brown on both sides. Drain on absorbent paper and serve,or
Sprinkle with sugar mixture for a dessert!:chef:

Do you think this would work with gluten-free flour? Actually, I'm going to try it anyway, maybe I'll do it right now.

Uh,yeah. You can't roll out gluten-free fry bread. At least, not how I made it. It does work if you put oil on your hands, roll a small ball and smash it flat in your hands. So we had mini-fry bread and it tasted okay. I recommend putting some garlic powder or a pinch of cardamom to help disguise the flavor of the gluten-free flour.

Back
Top Bottom