Cooking with white wine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

welise86

Cook
I just recently did a chicken recipe that required white wine. the chicken was delicious but now I've got this extra wine leftover....I like to drink it of course, but I was wondering if anyone had any other recipes that used white wine. I really liked the flavor it added to the chicken but I'm not sure what the "rules" are for cooking with white wine.

Everything!

Mussels, clams, srimp, asparagus, mushrooms, haricot verts, sauces, even tomato based sauces, etc.

Or you can freeze it for when you want to cook something else with white wine - and Murphy's Law - there's no white wine in the house.

white wine is wonderful for deglazing just about any pan to make a quickie sauce for whatever you cooked in it! The more you use it, the more things you will find to use it for. :chef:

Honestly, I think a lot of bases have been covered, but if it is a sweet one, you can doctor it up with a little sugar, perhaps some mint or lemon, and make a really refreshing sorbet.

I knew a person that even used white wine on his cereal instead of milk.

LOL - reminds me of a roommate I had in college ... except he used the leftover beer he could find in cans and bottles around the apartment the morning after a party. He did eventually figure out that he should pick out the cigarette butts before eating. :LOL:

I just recently did a chicken recipe that required white wine. .... I was wondering if anyone had any other recipes that used white wine. I really liked the flavor it added to the chicken but I'm not sure what the "rules" are for cooking with white wine.

You can use it as part of the poaching liquid (court bullion) for fish; you can use it in steaming mussels, clams or oysters - or in their prepation where they are baked or broiled; crustaceans such as shrimp, crab, lobster or crayfish ... it can be added to seafood soups/stews.

It can also be used in some pork and veal dishes - like veal piccata.

Last edited:
Beer is for undergraduates. Wine is for graduates! ;)

Well - he wasn't a chemistry major - that's for sure! Although I must admit that it didn't take getting into grad school to figure out:

Boone's Farm Apple wine + Cheerios = Apple Jacks

Strawberry Hill wine + corn flakes = Special K Red Berries

Beer with Cigarette butts + Fruit Loops DOES NOT = Lucky Charms

LOL - reminds me of a roommate I had in college ... except he used the leftover beer he could find in cans and bottles around the apartment the morning after a party. He did eventually figure out that he should pick out the cigarette butts before eating. :LOL:

must be a guy thing....that is so gross!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom