"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 10-16-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Corn, Fresh Frozen

This is an ongoing issue with me. We grow and freeze way too much corn for us to reasonably use. I find myself not using it because we have frozen hundreds of one quart bags over the years and I simply am out of ideas of how to prepare it.

What would you do with one quart of corn, please

Old 10-16-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Corn chowder?
The only other thought is to defrost it, dry it and use it for popcorn.

Sudden thought , I have seen corn pancakes before, but enough for a quart of sweetcorn would be over whelming.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
Master Chef

It might help if you let us know what you usually do with it so we don't go listing all these things and you sit there saying "been there done that!"
Personally, corn can be added to a lot of recipes. Mix some in your chicken salad or tuna salad. Add it to chili or taco meat. Dump some in a casserole. Corn pudding, corn fritters, corn bread, corn cakes, corn chowder. Add it to veggie soup or chicken noodle soup for something different. Use it on your lettuce salads. Put it in your salsa. Use it in a chutney.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:09 PM   #4
Master Chef

You can make fried corn fritters, corn pudding (doctored up cornbread), chicken corn chowder, crab corn chowder, corn relish, corn salsa, corn salad, add it to casseroles, etc.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:12 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I only do two things; corn chowder and a side of corn with butter, s&p. I did try corn pancakes and it used very little corn, about one cup for 8 pancakes.

I would like to see any TNT corn pudding recipes. Have tried one in the past and it was bland. What are corn cakes? And adding corn to corn bread, really? Wouldn't that make it too soupy to bake? Thanks jabbur for the suggestions. I was thinking I do so little with corn that any suggestions would be helpful!
Old 10-16-2008, 12:14 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
You can make fried corn fritters, corn pudding (doctored up cornbread), chicken corn chowder, crab corn chowder, corn relish, corn salsa, corn salad, add it to casseroles, etc.
Connie, the only corn pudding I tried was not doctored up cornbread, it was corn, eggs, butter, s&p and baked like a casserole. I'll look into salsa!
Old 10-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Biofuel
Old 10-16-2008, 01:25 PM   #8
Master Chef

Corn recipes

Corn Pudding

1 can creamed corn
1 can whole corn
1/4 tsp salt
pepper to taste
3 eggs beaten
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. milk
2 tsp butter softened or melted
2 Tbs. flour

Mix together and pour into a greased 2 quart baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

This recipe uses canned corn but you can sub fresh frozen volume-wise
You can make your own creamed corn by running the whole corn through the food processor. You may want to add a bit of liquid like milk to get the right consistency. I usually use Lawry's seasoned salt.

Corn Fritters

1 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
1 egg
1/2 c milk
1 Tbs melted butter
12 oz. corn

Combine dry ingredients - beat together egg, milk, butter and add to dry ingredients. Stir in corn. Drop by spoonfuls into hot oil and fry until golden. Drain on paper towels.

Special Creamed Corn

1/3 c butter
1/3 c flour
1 c. whipping cream (or half and half)
1 c. milk
1/4 c sugar
1tsp salt
5 c. frozen corn
1/4 c. Parmesan Cheese

melt butter and stir in flour until smooth - add cream, milk, sugar, salt - bring to a boil and stir for 2 mins. Add corn and heat through. Transfer to a 1-1/2 qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil for 3-5 mins until light brown and bubbly.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
could you put some in
corn bread?
Add some to veggie soup?

Cabbage-Corn Medley Recipe @ CDKitchen.com :: it's what's cooking online! I've done this one. Left out the pimento though. I don't see why you couldn't use frozen corn.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:04 PM   #10
Head Chef

I love making Corn Relish. There are recipes available both quick & simple refrigerator versions to the more complex cooked & canned version.