"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative
Old 01-04-2009, 02:43 AM   #1
Senior Cook

I was just rummaging through my pantry and I found two boxes of dates (imported from Iran) set to expire in April. Yes, it a bit away but honestly have no idea what to do with them. Does anyone here use dates in recipes? Any good idea? I bought them to dip in honey and roll in coconut but I can only eat so many prepared that way. ;)

whole milk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:46 AM   #2
Executive Chef
You can chop them and add them to muffins or cakes.

We once made gifts with them. Took the stone out and stuffed them with chocolate mix and them dipped them in chocolate.

"For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others." - Nelson Mandela
miniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:08 AM   #3
Sous Chef
My mother made some really good oatmeal date bars at Christmas time each year. Unfortunately I no longer have the recipe.
simplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:52 AM   #4
Master Chef
how about date nut bread ?
LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:44 AM   #5
Head Chef
Oh my goodness, date are real treasures to us, and I ALWAYS make date bars when I can find them. Hubby is crazy about them, and we have a good friend who would commit a crime in order to get his hands on them...here's the recipe:

1 pound dates, pitted and chopped
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 teaspoons orange zest
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup chopped (lightly toasted) walnuts
1 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup confectioners' sugar for dusting
In a medium saucepan bring the dates, sugar, water, lemon zest and orange zest to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly, then remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
In a medium bowl, stir together the rolled oats, flour, baking soda, brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir in the walnuts and melted butter. Mixture will be somewhat crumbly. Press half of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread the date filling evenly over the crust. Crumble the rest of the crust mixture over the filling, and pat down slightly.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Cut into bars while warm. Dust with confectioners' sugar when cooled.
Saludos, Karen
MexicoKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:54 AM   #6
Senior Cook
Those date bars sound delicious! Orange and lemon with the cinnamon -- no doubt that's really nice. Thank you for sharing. I think I found my first recipe.

whole milk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:17 AM   #7
Senior Cook
You could soak the pitted dates in sherry and wrap in a little piece of bacon and broil...or... you can fill the pitted dates with cream cheese w/herbs and wrap in bacon and broil.
anni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:25 AM   #8
Head Chef
One of my favorites is date pudding. Here is a url for a recipe..

Cooks.com - Recipe - Date Pudding
Jeff G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:39 AM   #9
I love date bars. There is a great recipe in the More-With-Less Cookbook, but it calls for rolled dates (which have sugar and cornstarch), so I don't think that would work. I have enjoyed dates chopped up poached and spiced with cinnamon and cajun seasonings, sweetened with a touch of honey and spread over a chicken breast with a little melted brie cheese. I ran it at my restaurant in 2007 and called it Christmas chicken. To my delight, it got rave reviews.
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work. - Aristotle
chefnaterock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:48 AM   #10
Chief Eating Officer
Dates hardly ever last around me long enough to be used in a recipe. I just eat them as is as fast as I can get them in my mouth.

There are some great suggestions above. Another idea is charoset which is a traditional Passover food, but can be made and enjoyed any time. There are a million different recipes for it, some with dates and some without, but this is one of those things you can make up as you go along so if you find a recipe that looks good, but does not have dates then chances are you can just add them in and it will work. Just Google charoset recipes and you will find a ton I am sure.

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote