Dinner tomorrow - salmon & asparagus - any advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JillyBean

Cook
We do the weekly menu/grocery shop thing and on the menu tomorrow is a salmon fillet, asparagus, and probably leftover potato salad.

Does anyone have any favourite recipes/advice for the salmon and the asparagus?

Make a marinade of olive oil, cajun spice and Durkee's Citrus Shake.
Use it for both the fish and asparagus.
Put in a baking dish, sprinkle sliced shallots or green peppers and garlic on
the fish. Cover it all with a 9 oz bag of fresh spinach.
Cover and bake at 425 for about 15 minutes.
Spinach is optional, LOL!

Marinate the salmon in soy, honey, grated ginger and some garlic. Cook the top side on very high heat to caramelize the honey then flip it and let it cook slowly for a few more minutes (till it's done to your liking). Oven roast the asparagus.

Thank you for that marinade VeraBlue. I sort of hit a salmon bonanza at the grocery store Saturday. I wanted to BBQ some of it last night and I was thinking honey ginger. I could not decide what togo with it to complete the marinade. I guess that if the coals are hot enough, I can reverse your logic and carmelize the bottom.

Anyway JilliBean - I put some Adobo, lightly sprinkled dill, salt, and lemon herb seasoning. As I said, I grilled it. For the Asparagus, I make a mixture of some butter, Adobe and Emerils essence. I brush it on and grill the Asparagus. Works for us.

AC

Salmon and Asparagus... grill food!!!

Using a fish grilling pan, lightly coat the salmon with butter, dill, sea salt. Place on the grill over medium heat. For the asparagus, brush them with olive oil and lay across the grill, roll a couple of times until the begin to brown off.

After the salmon is done, lightly squeeze some lemon juice over the top and serve..

Everyone gave you baked and grilled salmon recipes. Take a shot at poached salmon. It’s delicate, tasty and it doesn’t smell up the house.

Make a vegetable stock in the pan you are going to poach the salmon in.
H2O, white wine, a touch of cider vinegar. Use about 4 to one with the H2O and wine. Add veggies that you like the taste of. I use carrots, onions, bay leaf peppercorns, dry tarragon(1/4 teaspoon) and a touch of salt. Bring this to a boil and let it simmer for about 20- 30 minutes. Don’t let it cook out. You need enough liquid to get at least half way up the salmon, steaks or fillets.

Strain the liquid. Bring it to a light simmer. Put the fish in skin side down. If you like you can put some dill into it now. When you put the fish into the pan it will cool the pan off. Be careful of the heat. Don’t let it come back to a boil or it will break the fish up.

Cover and let it simmer for about 5 minutes. Check to make sure that it’s not over done, after 5 minutes it should be close. Remember that there will be residual cooking when you take it off of the heat.

People try and reduce the liquid for a sauce. I don’t like it. I mix up a bit of mayo and mustard, do it to your taste. Enjoy.

Everything sounds really good...think I'm gonna have to do eenie meenie!

Will let you know what I land on.

Well thank you all for your suggestions...I kinda went another route.

img_633208_0_c0a5f7fb0a12bbabd1aaf536488ea15c.jpg

Salmon and asparagus en papillot - a splash of olive oil on the bottom, salmon fillet, garlic slices, dill fresh from the garden, lemon slices, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, thin slices of butter and asparagus on the side. I guess after all that smoked meat on the weekend I was craving something light(er).

Well thank you all for your suggestions...I kinda went another route.

img_633403_0_c0a5f7fb0a12bbabd1aaf536488ea15c.jpg

Salmon and asparagus en papillot - a splash of olive oil on the bottom, salmon fillet, garlic slices, dill fresh from the garden, lemon slices, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, thin slices of butter and asparagus on the side. I guess after all that smoked meat on the weekend I was craving something light(er).

Ah.. nice..

Back
Top Bottom