"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2018, 05:40 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Escargot and then...???

A friend was coming for lunch. We had decided on a very fancy dish of escargot. I had opened the can - rinsed them and was soaking them (as per instructions) when I received a text that she couldn't come! AWK!

According to most sites googled - I have three days leeway before I must use them.

LOL - she and I are special in our delights - we were making it the entree, but now - I could invite my neighbours for supper but then... should it just be an appetizer? What would be a good menu to compliment?

They are HUGE. I was originally going to serve them stuffed into mushroom caps - 3 caps with an escargot inside each would be a knife and fork meal! (That's how big they are).

Even if I stick with the escargot as the main entree, what else would I serve? - my mind is completely blank. Obviously the prerequisite bread/baguette for the butter. A green vegie (asparagus?) Just a salad? Then a sorbet to cut the richness?

Old 07-13-2018, 07:50 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Escargot is also regularly served with garlic bread. Had them once as a kid at a restaurant, not too bad.

Caslon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:16 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Caslon, you should have them more often... but in a good restaurant that knows how to serve them! LOL Done right they are tender and wonderful. Overcooked they are the same as overcooked calamari - chewy, rubbery, no taste and blechh!

Yes, I serve with a baguette to soak up all the garlic butter that the escargot are served in. I make my butter with shallots, garlic (lots) and parsley.

YUMMM!
Old 07-13-2018, 08:38 PM   #4
Sous Chef

The first thing that comes to mind, besides the bread of course, is a classic Caesar salad. If you want a veggie, maybe roasted Brussels sprouts with a lemon vinaigrette?
Old 07-13-2018, 10:33 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I have had escargot twice, the first time was in Barcelona, and they were unbelievably good. I don't remember where I had them the second time -- psychological injury is probably blocking my memory. They were rather nasty.

Escargot is on my cooking bucket list. But, they scare me a bit... well actually a lot, as a cook.

I hope to learn something from this thread that will help me take that dive into the escargot deep end. LOL

CD
“It was curious to think that the sky was the same for everybody, in Eurasia or Eastasia as well as here -- people ignorant of one another’s existence, held apart by walls of hatred and lies, and yet almost exactly the same.” -- George Orwell, 1984
caseydog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:09 AM   #6
Master Chef

I eat them quite a bit..we do them in seasoned butter and sometimes cheese..I've also had them in wine/cream sauce on toast and on pizza..I would have something acidic like tomato salad, to help counter the fat of the butter and cheese, and cleanse your pallet..ice cold white wine never hurts either..or something sparkling..

Little story: when I first moved to Italy my in laws used to pick them off the garden vegetable plants after it rained..we collected a huge pot and cooked them in tomato sauce with lots of garlic..I ate so many that day I was literally sick of them and didn't touch them for a few years..
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:25 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Escargot and garlic bread, that's how it was served. I'm glad there was garlic bread.
Caslon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:19 AM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Caslon, you should have them more often... but in a good restaurant that knows how to serve them! LOL Done right they are tender and wonderful. Overcooked they are the same as overcooked calamari - chewy, rubbery, no taste and blechh!

Yes, I serve with a baguette to soak up all the garlic butter that the escargot are served in. I make my butter with shallots, garlic (lots) and parsley.

YUMMM!
If they are canned, they are already cooked, no?
Old 07-15-2018, 08:26 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Escargot and garlic bread, that's how it was served. I'm glad there was garlic bread.
Garlic bread is essential to soak up the butter and help counter the texture of the snails..just like steamed mussels need bread of some kind..
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:13 AM   #10
Executive Chef

jennyema, yes, they are already cooked.

And therein lies the tricky part. You need to reheat them all the way thru so they are nice and hot but without actually starting to overcook them.

Often the garlic/shallot butter is quite thick while assembling them. If you are using shells, you stuff a bit of butter in, then an escargot, then more butter on top. Sprinkle with cheese, if using, and heat them in the oven till the butter is bubbling (and the cheese melted).

I guess I should mention, you heat them the same as you do French Onion Souup. Once the plates are filled with your goodies, the plates should be put on a sheet then into the oven. When you remove them, same thing. Put the heated plates on another plate with padding so you don't crack them.

I use a couple of white paper towels to put between the escargot plate and the bottom plate.

I'll hopefully remember to take my pictures! and post!

I don't have the curved cup-like tongs that are available to grab the shells (remember Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman?) nor the forks. I use dessert fondue forks, LOL. and hope I don't burn my fingers on the cheese or shells if I need to grab them.

ps! the paper towels come in handy for wiping your fingers from all the garlicky butter bread you sopped up!