Food to use up before I go home for xmas (total cooking newbie here, eek!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nashgrove123

Assistant Cook
Hi all,

Be gentle with me as I only know the very basics about cooking and have a very basic kitchen to use but I want to learn how to cook. However In the mean time I have some food to use up before I leave university for a month for my xmas vacation.

I've gotta use up some food before I go away or else it will go off. I like to eat healthy so don't mind too much if what I make is a bit bland, the lower kcals the better but I suppose I could make a few treats for my flat mates as well.

I have left to use before I break up in just under 2 weeks...

- Bottle of egg whites (could just stick this in the freezer until I get back though)
- 6 whole eggs
- Loads of rolled oats that are just about to out of date - loads of this!
- Whole wheat bread
- Sweet potato
- Skimmed Milk
- Salsa
- Onions and various vegetables
- Apples
- Loads of greek and natural yogurt!

That's the stuff that is going to out of date soon but I have some other stuff I could use to use as well but not vital as it's not going out of date anytime soon.

- Strawberry Jam
- Branston Pickle
- Chicken and beef
- Chicken stock cubes
- More salsa
- Rice cakes
- Shredded wheat cereal, haha

I've listed literally all I have, I'm a student so money is always tight hence why I don't have much food in stock :( Just looking to get some ideas.

--> Stuff I can freeze is always a major plus as well!!! <--

Much thanks in advance

You could make oatmeal muffins or cookies, but you need flour for that.
Stir fry would use up alot of what you have.
Scrambled eggs, egg white omelette with all the fixings. You can even put salsa on the omelette or eggs.
If you had peanut butter I would say rice cakes with PB and apples?
Sweet potato fries... Mmmm.

Food to use up before leaving for vaca

I agree with Saphellae; make an omelette or two. Add the salsa.
You could have a fried egg sandwich with salsa.
Have your shredded wheat cereal with milk. If it's sealed shut and hasn't been opened, don't open it unless you think you can finish it before your break.
Apples just plain or in your rolled oats for breakfast. Maybe add some jam for sweetness.
I would add the strawberry jam to the yogurt and eat it.
Stir fry with the veggies like Saphellae said.

You can freeze the left over rolled oats -- they will keep nicely in the freezer til you get back. You could try freezing the yogurt.

Whatever you can't use and would go bad while your gone; see if you can donate it to a food shelter or church. They may take it or another starving student who is hanging around for break.

Have a nice holiday!

Thanks for the replies,

I don't think I really have the best ingredients to make anything too creative haha. I never knew I could freeze rolled oats so that's a big plus since I didn't really want to eat them twice a day to use them all up haha.

I had over half a liter of eggs whites left and the packet said 'consume within 3 days once opened' and it has been almost a week so thought I better use them up today I just made a HUGE egg white omelette, chucked some onions and mushrooms in and it was great : )

thanks for the sharing... i now know that i should not go to grocery shopping if i'm going away for a long time... and there is always PIZZA!

Back
Top Bottom