Free fat from butcher recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

studentcook

Assistant Cook
My butcher gives me free fat when he is finished for day. What I have been doing is putting the fat into a pot and heating it on a high heat until a large amount of oil is rendered. So, I melt the fat into oil (aka lard). I drain all the lard off and put it away for latter uses. But what do I do with the remaining fat?

So far, what I have done is before removing the lard, I continue to render the lard until the fat is very crispy. (aka chicharon) Then I remove the lard and store it. I then remove the chicharon and store it in the fridge. The way I eat it is to make a breakfast stir-fry with it. In the morning I heat it in the pan with garlic salt, rice, and eggs. Even if I don't fry the fat till it is chicharon I still eat the soft fat like stir-fry in the way I described above.

My question to you all is what are some other ways that I can cook the fat? I am looking for recipes in which I can 1. cook the fat after I finish rendering the lard AND recipes in which I can 2. cook the fat without rendering lard.

I still have a pot full of fat that I used to render lard for two days ago that I have used yet. I need a recipe(s) for it. I am tired of stir-fry.

Also, after I finish eating that, I will not render lard with the next batch of fat I receive from the butcher. This is because I already have a lot of lard. Therefore, I will need a recipe that uses fat in it's raw form and not a recipe that uses leftover fat from rendering lard. Thank you!

-------------
reference:

Everything I have in my house is listed below:

fridge:
eggs, spoiled milk, smart balance butter, “regular” butter, mayonnaise, mustard, quinoa, honey, red pepper paste 고초장, orange 1, anchovy seasoning 멸치다시다, grey poupon sauce, 357 magnum hot sauce (very hot), ketchup, grape jelly, pure maple syrup, sugar pie pumpkin, ginger

freezer:
eel, cheese 4 slices, bile, beef tongue, tripe, Philippine beetles, whole tilapia 1, pork belly, 2 whole ducks, 2 packs of 'bacon ends & pieces', ground pork (50% fat/ 50% meat), a bag of pig hocks,

laying on counter:
beef lard (oil), red wine ‘menage a trois’, organic sugar

cabinet:
baking powder, cornstarch, oats, onion powder, polenta, red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, sesame oil, canned sardines, pine nuts, chicken broth, salsa, tomato sauce 2 cans, garbanzo beans 1 can, coconut milk 1 can, bbq sauce, self rising cornmeal mix, white whole wheat flour, corn masa flour, pure can sugar dark brown (brown sugar), blue corn meal, bourbon, dry gin, chili 15 bean soup dry beans, shrimp bouillon cubes, beef bouillon cubes, chicken bouillon cubes, extra virgin olive oil, course ground malabar black pepper, light corn syrup, pepper supreme (mix of 4 peppers), garlic powder, garlic salt, garam masala, grill mates 5 fiery pepper seasoning, ginisang bagoong, hawaiian kiawe smoke sea salt, gourmet garlic sea salt,

ground ginger, ground red pepper (cayenne pepper), ground turmeric, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground cumin, ground coriander, ground mustard, seasoning salt, thyme, rosemary, whole black peppercorns, whole roasted sesame seeds, steak seasoning, dried red peppers, pure vanilla extract, seasoned salt, sage powder, chili powder, grill mates spicy Montreal steak seasoning, paprika, dill weed, cloves powder, basil leaves, oregano leaves, bay leaves, curry powder, soy sauce, fish sauce, teriyaki souce, white vinegar, liquid aminos braggs, red pepper powder

Last edited:
Ah yes, I will have to make a list of all the cooking equipment I have next. And I do not have a grinder.

use with "thin sliced par boiled potatoes" <- what do you mean here?

I collect fat for sausage, both pork and beef. I'll also render schmaltz and use it for frying potatoes.

Most folks tend to skim off any fat from soups, stews and braises. It is an unwanted by-product in them.

I think you guys are misconstruing what I am saying. I have pieces of fat that I got from my butcher. I don't think I can spread that on toast. It is solid pieces of fat not a liquid. So, I also can not fry other foods in it. I think you all are referring to the rendered fat that I extracted from the pieces of meat.

There has to be some ways to use this fat.

The next batch I get from my butcher though, I could always eat it like prosciutto...

Can you be more specific about the Chunks of Fat?

Beef, pork, chickens?

is skin attached? or just rather pure Back Fat?

some pure chunks are eaten raw, others used for Rendering.

if skins on, that is Chicharone, and is completely different..

Eric, Austin Tx.

OK,
If I'm understanding you right this could be beef fat from around the kibneys?? guessing here, so mince it finely,dust with a little flour to stop it going 'gloopy' and use it to make pastry. I know this as 'SUET'. You can also make wonderful steamed puddingsie. trecle pudding, apple steamed pud etc( google these for recipies using Suet)
If I'm on the right track you have a wonderful by-product here. If I'm wrong, then sorry, can't help

Ok,
Looks like good ol' fashioned " Beef Dripping". Spread on toast, season with pepper and salt and enjoy ( now and again as a TREAT) and worry about the heart attack another day.

Any other ideas you have? I don't have any bread. I would buy some or try to make some but perhaps another day. I rarely eat bread.

But I am glad that what I have has finally been identified. :)

You could use the rendered fat for frying chips or onion rings, add it to lean meats like game and grind it to make burgers, cube the fat and fry till crisp and golden, fry a few cubes of beef and serve on top of mashed potatoes, use the rendered fat to make fried rice for beef strifry etc.
I've got high cholesterol so I wouldn't use it anymore but as a rare treat it's fine.

Any other ideas you have? I don't have any bread. I would buy some or try to make some but perhaps another day. I rarely eat bread.

But I am glad that what I have has finally been identified. :)

As it's being given to you, it's kind of inconvenient. There's a reason the butcher isn't bothering to package it up and sell it to people.

You can use it to fatten very lean meats. If you mix it with breadcrumbs, mashed potatoes, or rice, you can turn it into a kind of meatloaf or meatballs. It'll be really greasy as it cooks.

That being said, rendering it is the best option.

Once you have the rendered fat there's a lot you can do with it, using it in place of butter or oil.

If it's not too piggy/beefy smelling, you can make incredible pastry for desserts (especially pie crust). If it is piggy/beefy smelling, you can make incredible pastry for meat pies :D.

You can mix it with lye and make soap (please learn how to do this before trying it!) If you blend it with wax and a little scent you can use it to moisturise dry skin.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom