Game Hen, other stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TeonW

Assistant Cook
Ok Samurai, i come seeking wisdom.

I've got Two cornish hens
my seasonings include:
Parsley (Fresh and dried ^.^)
Peppercorn
Dill weed
Oregano
Red pepper
Basil
S&P
some other things I am totally ecstatic to say that I have but cant remember.
I also have a few lemons, limes, celery, onions, carrots, potatoes, and the roomie has some cherry tomatoes (or the ones that are slightly bigger)

anyone have any recipes? Domo Arigato Gozaimasu

Ganbatte kudasai!

i would split each one in half. rub with a mix of the all the spices except the dill.

cook potatoes the way you like em best. steam the celery, carrots, onion together and use the dill on them. tomatoes will just a little drip of olive oil dressing on them as a side salad or you could put basil on them and not the carrots.
hope this helps a little

I have a plastic colander, I'm not sure of its parts, so I'm not wanting to risk contamination, but if I use it over a pot of boiling water, do you think it would do the trick?

HONEY-MUSTARD CORNISH HEN 2 Cornish hens
1 can chicken broth
Poultry seasoning
Celery salt
Paprika
Parsley (fresh)
1 onion
2 ribs celery
2 carrots
Molly McButter

SAUCE:
1/2 c. honey
1/4 c. Dijon mustard
4 tbsp. butter
2 tsp. soy sauce

Stuff Cornish hens with onions, celery, and carrots. Sprinkle hens with Molly McButter, parsley, paprika, celery salt and poultry seasoning. Add chicken broth to pan and bake at 475 degrees for 50 minutes basting every 10 to 15 minutes. Heat sauce and pour over hens or serve on the side

Last edited:
Could you explain that a little more, I'm having trouble picturing it

mix all of seasoning except dill, together. cut hen in half through the backbone. so they will lay flat on pan (will cook faster ) and are easier to serve. rub seasoning all over the bird. put in a low sided pan and roast at 350 for about 40 min. turning them once.

the vegs can be steamed either in microwave or on the stove. i do micro faster and less water needed.

slice tomatoes in half , drizzle italian dressing , and put small amount of dill sprinkled on them.

hope that is clearer.

I always put Cornish hens in a casserole or roaster along with a box or two of Uncle Ben's long grain and wild rice, along with the liquid called for, cover and cook in oven at 325-350 until rice is all is hens are falling off the bone tender and rice is cooked. Put the baby carrots, chopped celery and thinly sliced onions in with the rice, along with a can of 'shrooms, if you have any. If you have any frozen peas or broccoli, stir them in with the rice about the last 20 minutes.

You could probably do it with plain long grain rice, but I've never tried that. You'll need to add seasonings, but you have plenty of those. Just use every thing you have, light on the red pepper. Don't forget the S&P.

If you want to use the potatoes too, scalloped or au gratin potatoes would be good. All they take is butter, chopped onion, S&P, some of your parsley, a can of crm. of 'shroom soup, and cheese, if you have it. Layer sliced potatoes with the other ingredients, cover and bake at 350 until tender. Remove cover, toss a little cheese on top if you have it, and continue cooking until top is browned or cheese is melted and bubbly.

Back
Top Bottom