"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 04-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Smile Garlic & Maple/Brown Sugar

Okay...
So this morning, I prepared my lunch for today at work... During prep, I was mincing garlic, and made my hands have that garlic smell we all love so much... (I really DO love it...)
Then, at work, I had some maple and brown sugar oatmeal for my breakfast.
Now, all I can smell is maple/brown sugar and garlic. It's driving me nuts, and making me SUPER hungry!

Does anyone have a really good recipe for something involving both garlic and maple/brown sugar? A glaze, or some sort of thing? Veggies, meat, doesn't matter...

I know I could find something on a random recipe search, but I'd rather see what some people here can come up with!

Old 04-27-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

nikki, how about rubbing a pork tenderloin in roasted garlic, then wrapping in maple bacon?

grill or roast on fairly high heat until the center of the meat reaches 135, and the bacon is browned.

or, if you dislike bacon (freak!), you can make a maple mustard similar to a honey mustard.
mix an equal amount of maple syrup into wholegrain dijon mustard. brown the pork tenderloin on all sides, then place atop some ringed onions and peeled apple slices tossed in minced garlic in a baking dish. smear the maple mustard on top of the roast, then sprinkle with fennel seeds.

again, bake at high temp until the roast is medium rare to medium in the center.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
Master Chef

Wow! Bucky, I haven't seen you in a long time. Was sadly thinking that you had fallen off of the Earth or something. Welcome back my friend.

As for an answer to the question, try this.

Meat Rub
Ingredients:
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 tbs. granulated garlic powder, or equivalent in crushed garlic
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. liquid smoke seasoning (optional)

Combine all ingredients and massage into pork spare ribs, beef short ribs, country style ribs, cut up chicken, beef brisket, or use with venison or goat meat.

Wrap coated meat tightly in aluminum foil and bake in 350' oven for 3 hours; or place on grill and cover. Grill over low heat for the same amount of time. You could also roast this meat in a smoker, or in a slow oven until the meat temp comes up to 190' or so, basting with juices from a drip pan place under the meat.

This coating, if altered a bit, would also work with firm fish such as fresh tuna, swordfish, or trout.

Of course you can include other herbs and spices in this rub such as celery seed, powdered mustard, dill, etc., to change the flavor profile to your liking.

What I gave you is a pretty basic rub. Play with it and have fun.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post

or, if you dislike bacon (freak!), you can make a maple mustard similar to a honey mustard.
hahahaha I LOVE bacon, but oddly enough I don't like pork roast/chops/etc... Weird, I know... Maybe it would change my tastes though! Thank you! :) I may try something like that... Maybe with beef...
Old 04-27-2010, 03:19 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

leaving out the salt , this can be used on my new diet. also have smucker, sugar free maple syrup , i know it won't be the sames but should be good anyway.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:57 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

That is an awesome flavor combination with acorn squash.
I would stay away from the "fake" maple syrup which is basically just corn syrup and maple flavoring. Try to find some real maple syrup and blend it with the garlic then brush it over your squash (cut in wedges) and sprinkle with brown sugar and kosher salt. Bake in a moderate oven and brush a few times during cooking. More of a fall season item but inspiration knows no season.

If it were me, I would put a bit of orange juice in the sauce along with orange zest sprinkled over with the brown sugar. Didn’t want to intrude on your vision though.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:05 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

I've used roasted garlic in combination with maple syrup, brown sugar or white sugar to flavor baked and pureed butternut squash.

T'he OJ sounds like a good counterpoint.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffey de Chefey View Post
That is an awesome flavor combination with acorn squash.
I would stay away from the "fake" maple syrup which is basically just corn syrup and maple flavoring. Try to find some real maple syrup and blend it with the garlic then brush it over your squash (cut in wedges) and sprinkle with brown sugar and kosher salt. Bake in a moderate oven and brush a few times during cooking. More of a fall season item but inspiration knows no season.

If it were me, I would put a bit of orange juice in the sauce along with orange zest sprinkled over with the brown sugar. Didn’t want to intrude on your vision though.
That sounds lovely, We love acorn squash and will give your idea a try. Thank you.
kadesma
Old 04-27-2010, 09:12 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Unsafe food practice ALERT

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
nikki, how about rubbing a pork tenderloin in roasted garlic, then wrapping in maple bacon?

grill or roast on fairly high heat until the center of the meat reaches 135, and the bacon is browned.

mix an equal amount of maple syrup into wholegrain dijon mustard. brown the pork tenderloin on all sides, then place atop some ringed onions and peeled apple slices tossed in minced garlic in a baking dish. smear the maple mustard on top of the roast, then sprinkle with fennel seeds.

again, bake at high temp until the roast is medium rare to medium in the center.
You should cook pork to 150 degrees to kill any trichinosis that may be present. This will unlikely make most of us sick but children and the elderly have weaker resistance and could prove fatal.

150 will still allow you to have a slightly pink middle and maintain a juicy bite.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Here we go again!

Trichinosos is killed at 137F. I cook it between 135 and 140, then let it rest. The temp will rise a bit, and the pork will be juicy and rosy pink.