Green cabbage and ground beef...what to make?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
I have onions, garlic, spices and other stuff for flavor. I need suggestions on what to make with my green cabbage and ground beef. Thanks.

mmm stuffed cabbage....
I will bring down my favorite recipe...
what time did you say we eat???
:)

I think of cabbage stew, but seems crazy being so warm out. Cabbage, beef, onions, potatoes, garlic and a can of stewed tomatoes in water or beef stock. I like the other suggestions better.

I like the taste of raw cabbage, and so far, the red cabbage has been my favorite, If I could subsitute it with red cabbage would it change the taste? and how does it taste with the cream...

I know this thread is a bit old, but I just noticed it when TeonW resurrected it....

This Carpathian cabbage looks a lot like the Lazy Golumpki recipe Dave posted a while back except it has a little vinegar in it and uses tomato soup instead of stewed tomatoes. And you serve it over rice instead of cook the rice with it.
I'm not sure what I want to know.... I guess, why the tomato soup instead of stewed tomatoes or another canned tomato product? Is it just another variation of golumpki that's not rolled or stuffed? Is it more "souplike" because it uses soup instead of stewed tomatoes? I wish a pic had been posted....

A friend used to make a sort of lasagna but using chopped cabbage instead of the lasagna sheets. Use the ground meat to make the sauce and layer it with the cabbage. Top with bechamel and bake.

I didn't start eating cooked cabbage until recently, Constance. I didn't know what I was missing all these years.
I decided to stick with the one pot lazy golumpki tonight until I know more about what the tomato soup does in the Carpathian recipes. Plus I don't have any tomato soup :LOL:
Just about cooked down :)

Attachments

• one pot golumpki.jpg
    one pot golumpki.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 963
When I make my Polish golumpki I use tomato soup. It's a smoother gravy. I think it takes on the taste of the cabbage. It's the way my grandmother made it. I don't like the taste of stewed tomatoes in my cabbage rolls. I guess it's just the way I've always made them. I also don't like saurkraut in my golumpki. It just isn't the same to me.

Barb

Thanks, Barb.
I like to cook mine down to thicken any gravy or juices and I like it chunky (as you can see). I think I'll stick with the canned tomatoes. I was never a big fan of tomato soup anyway.

I was going to say stuffed cabbage, also. My family uses an old Swedish favorite, Kaldolmar..... that is just stuffed cabbage.
-Preheat oven to 300 F.
-First, wilt cabbage in hot water, then fill (with ground pork and beef, egg, rice, cooked potato, allspice, sugar, salt-n-pepper ....) Secure these with toothpicks if they don't hold together. Brown in large, heavy saucepan.
-After browning, place in a large, flat baking dish.
-Bake for 1 1/2 hours, basting with 2 tbsp melted butter.
-Remove to a warm platter.
-Mix cream and flour with pan drippings to make a nice gravy/sauce over low/med heat.

That's it... If you want the detailed recipe, let me know :)

I think of this as "Stuffed Cabbage Casserole"
Cajun Cabbage
1 pound ground beef
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
10 ounces diced tomatoes and green chilies
8 ounces tomato sauce
1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 drops hot sauce
1 small head cabbage, chopped
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

In a skillet, cook the beef, green pepper, onion and garlic until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, rice and seasonings. Spread into an ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Top with the cabbage and cheese. Cover and bake at 350º for 65 to 75 minutes or until the rice is tender.

Back
Top Bottom