Grilled chicken thighs, sweet/hot sausage ..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
All right Ladies and Germs, let's see what you guys come up with.:chef:

Need some dinner for 4 ideas.

10 grilled chicken thighs
6 each grilled sweet and hot sausage
whole eggplant
a couple zuchinis
3 Jersey tomatoes
green and red bell peppers
onions

I had the chicken and sausage defrosted in the fridge for a coupla days, so I had to cook them before they went bad.

-J

Got any rice and canned tomatoes? Maybe some shrimp? This sounds like the makings of jambalaya to me.

Everything but the shrimp.

I was thinking Jambalaya or Paella, or just grill up some veggies. I'd like to do something different though.

You by chance don't have some kind of binder (cream cheese, shredded cheese, etc) that you could mix with your veggies and sausage do you? You could go ahead and grill your veggies and sausage, chop and combine, stuff your chicken thighs and tie to hold in. Grill or pan sear from there. Salt, pepper, thyme, fennel, garlic for the sausage/veggie seasonong - even some bread crumbs would work too.

OR, just stuff the slightly scooped out eggplant with all the veggies and sausage (including the eggplant of course) and grill/bake. Cheese and/or cream cheese would be ideal but you could always do a bread/egg binder, same type of herbs/spices would work here too.

Last edited:
You don't have to have shrimp or tomatoes to make jambalaya, Jeekinz. You can use any kind of meat you have available, as long as you include a piece of good sausage; and the folks down around Gonzales, La. don't use tomatoes in their jambalaya.

You could make a tasty pasta dish with your ingredients. Chop the chicken in chunks and slice the sausages. Saute the onions, peppers, eggplant and zucchini in EVOO until tender. Stir in meats. Chop the tomatoes, remove the seeds, and add to mixture. Taste and season.
Toss with cooked pasta of your choice and top with freshly grated Parmesan.

If it were me, though, I would do as Iron Chef suggested and make more than one dish. You have a lot of ingredients there, and you don't have to eat it all tonight. In fact, you can even freeze some of your meat, now that it's been cooked.

I picture sausage sandwiches dressed with a sauce made from the sauteed onions, peppers and tomatoes.
Bread and fry sliced zucchini and eggplant to go with.

You can do anything with that cooked chicken. Cut it off the bone, chop, and make chicken salad, or use any any casserole, pasta or rice dish.

If you got any tortilla, toss them on a grill to make them crisp. Julien (slice very thin) 2 red or green bell peppers. Keep the skin on or off, up to you. Fry the peppers, or grill them as a whole then cut them up, and fry up the onions. Put it in a bowl, add some capers and vinegar the capers are sitting in. The sausages and wings are perfect for grilling, so grill them with indirect heating and use some wood chips for a smokey flavour and scent. Put the peppers and onions on the tortillas, cut the sausages up over the peppers and leave the wings on the side.

Use some more onions and peppers, and if you have, any canned beans. Cut them up (leave 1 tomatoe behind), toss it into a pot, heat it then puree it to the desired texture. Cut up the eggplant, grill it then put the sauce on the eggplant. The other tomatoe can be put on the sauce unblended, same with any sausages that are left. The zuchinni can have the same coating and be grilled also.

Add in whatever spices and seasonings you want for everything.

Toss the thighs in a chipotle and butter sauce, serve with
blue cheese dressing.

Get some buns for the sausages, haul out some condiments.

Toss the eggplant in the center of the table for decoration.

Make a salad of the rest, with a tasty dressing.

Instant "picnic"!

All right Ladies and Germs, let's see what you guys come up with.:chef:

Need some dinner for 4 ideas.

whole eggplant
a couple zuchinis
3 Jersey tomatoes
onions

I had the chicken and sausage defrosted in the fridge for a coupla days, so I had to cook them before they went bad.

-J

Eggplant and Tomato sauce over ziti/penne/spaghetti
(You can make the sauce on the stove top or in a CP - add in some chopped zukes, if you like). Saute onions & garlic in evoo, add in chopped EP (& zukes), tomatoes, basil, oregano, s&p - cover & cook down. Add in about 1/4 c o' red wine toward end of cooking time. Serve over pasta.

This one always makes me drool. Serve over pasta w crusty bread & salad.
eggplant_with_tomato_garlic_sauce.aspx

Eggplant Parmesan w spaghetti or on on french/Italian bread.

Cold pasta salad - chopped zukes, tomatoes, 'n onions, oil & vinegar, s&p - combine w rotini or farfalle/butterflies - chill a few in the fridge to marinate. Serve with your chilled thighs -- or shred your thighs and add to the cold pasta salad.

Roll your thighs in teriyaki sauce, heat through. Chop up your peppers n' onions & add to cooked white rice. (Add in chunks of pineapple, if you like.) - Or stir-fry your veggies & serve over rice or a chinese noodle.

Sausage - grill your peppers, onions & tomatoes. Add chopped garlic, if you like. Serve w sausage over pasta.

Zucchini boats - stuffed with sausage.

ETA: Here's an idea for stuffed peppers (w zukes, tomatoes, herbs, & toasted pine nuts) I posted recently. (I often add raisins to the mix & season the ground beef w a pinch of cinnamon, and a dab of tomato paste.):

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showpost.php?p=470879&postcount=12

You could do a Paella. Omit the shrimp, add the chicken & sausage, and add (canned - in a pinch) clams:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/PaellaShrimp.htm

Last edited:
Left over list

Hey Jeekinz,
Since you probably have already used the ingredients you listed, I will just tell you what I came up with. Just for grins!
I thought jambalaya with a grilled or stir fry of the eggplant and zuchini on the side. If you need a good recipe that can be tamed down for heat, reply back and I will provide!
Sorry I responded so late.

Sausage and pepper stuffed chicken thighs....
whole eggplant
a couple zucchinis
3 Jersey tomatoes
onions

Use the sausage, peppers, and peppers, onions add a few bread crumbs and an egg for moisture. (if no egg, water will work) and make a stuffing mixture.

Cut a slit in the thighs and pack with the mixture. Slice the Eggplant thin and lay over the top of the thighs, brush with olive oil, sprinkle more bread crumbs over the top and bake.

In a bowl, slice up the zucchini thin and large dice the tomatoes. Add to them vinegar, sugar, water to make a pickled zucchini/tomato salad....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom