"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 05-14-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Question Ground pork patties?

someone recently gave me this 10lb bag of frozen ground pork patties.
I have never even seen them before! I tossed them in my freezer
beccause I haven't a clue what to do with them. any ideas, besides
grilling them? they are small, not even a hamburger size anyway.
I am at a loss.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

You could make Asian flavored meatballs. and serve them with a dipping sauce.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
Head Chef

If they are the same as the ones I have, they are pre-cooked, and are not much different from regular breakfast pork sausage. I use them to make homemade Egg McMuffins -- English Muffin, sausage patty, poached egg, cheese slice -- assembled and frozen and then popped in the microwave for a minute or two to reheat.

You can crumble them up and use in scrambled eggs or just about any recipe that would use sausage pieces. Remember, they are precooked so its quite flexible on what you can use them for -- even just on a bun with tomato and lettuce for a burger.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:04 PM   #4
Master Chef

One of our daughters and her family live in a small German farming community north of here, where the land is flat and the dirt is black. There's a fellow up there who has a little meat market, and he makes seasoned ground pork patties. They are about the size of a McYuck's quarter pounder after they're cooked, and they make a really good sandwich. If left in the box, they do get freezer burn awful bad, so I'd recommend that you seal up what you're not going to cook right away.

We loved the ones we had. We fried them up like a burger and served with mustard, lettuce and tomato.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:40 PM   #5
Head Chef

Mostly, I have 1 lb bags of ground pork in the freezer, I combine with the lean ground venison.
Last night I cooked up a 1 lb bag of ground pork, w/ celery, onion, cauliflower, red beans, asparagus and some tomato sauce for a soup with cheese garlic bread.
Sometimes I season the thawed pork and make little sausage patties to go with eggs.
You can mix it with veggies cut small and rice, and wrap in cabbage or grape leaves and cook in a lemon chicken broth.
It's very versatile.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:46 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Agree with Andy. Assuming it's unseasoned ground pork.

I make a batch of pork meatballs about twice a month. Just a regular meatball recipe, except using soy sauce and ginger instead of worchestershire. I have half of them in a ramen soup and the other half reheated with some kind of sauce and served with rice. Barbecue sauce or garlic-chile sauce are my favs for that.

On edit: at the Pinoy market where I do most of my shopping, ground pork is $1.39 a pound while ground beef is $2.39 a pound. I use ground pork a fair bit. :)

SRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:02 PM   #7
Head Chef

Uncooked Ground pork is a little different from the already formed and cooked pork patties.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:36 PM   #8
Senior Cook

If they are uncooked patties, you could smash some together to make bigger ones fairly easy, right?

If they are precooked I'd make spaghetti and toss in some defrosted patties with the pasta sauce!

mini pork sandwiches with barbeque sauce?
Old 05-16-2009, 06:02 PM   #9
Senior Cook

I love ground pork for Italian meatballs for about any red sauce, but you should probably mix it with beef or veal (or both!) since it's usually pretty spicy. I made pork-veal-beef meatballs for the first time early last year and fell in love with the combo.

Ground pork can also be a good mixer with beef in making lasagna, ravioli, or about any stuffed pasta.

I like the idea of Asian meatballs mentioned earlier, yum!
Old 05-17-2009, 02:49 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

How about chopping them up and adding them to chili? Even if they are seasoned they will probably be very tasty.
You can make breakfast tacos using flour tortillas. Make an egg omelet with the chopped, browned pork patties, saute onion, green bell pepper, chili peppers hot or sweet or both a nice chunk or slice of melting Monterey Jack cheese. Place all inside the warmed flour tortilla and wrap it up like a 'baby in a blanket'. To make it even easier to handle you can wrap the whole taco in wax paper and/or aluminum foil just to keep it neat and warm. Peel back to eat. I just made myself hungry.