Ground pork patties?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellakav

Sous Chef
someone recently gave me this 10lb bag of frozen ground pork patties.
I have never even seen them before! I tossed them in my freezer
beccause I haven't a clue what to do with them. any ideas, besides
grilling them? they are small, not even a hamburger size anyway.
I am at a loss.

If they are the same as the ones I have, they are pre-cooked, and are not much different from regular breakfast pork sausage. I use them to make homemade Egg McMuffins -- English Muffin, sausage patty, poached egg, cheese slice -- assembled and frozen and then popped in the microwave for a minute or two to reheat.

You can crumble them up and use in scrambled eggs or just about any recipe that would use sausage pieces. Remember, they are precooked so its quite flexible on what you can use them for -- even just on a bun with tomato and lettuce for a burger.

One of our daughters and her family live in a small German farming community north of here, where the land is flat and the dirt is black. There's a fellow up there who has a little meat market, and he makes seasoned ground pork patties. They are about the size of a McYuck's quarter pounder after they're cooked, and they make a really good sandwich. If left in the box, they do get freezer burn awful bad, so I'd recommend that you seal up what you're not going to cook right away.

We loved the ones we had. We fried them up like a burger and served with mustard, lettuce and tomato.

Mostly, I have 1 lb bags of ground pork in the freezer, I combine with the lean ground venison.
Last night I cooked up a 1 lb bag of ground pork, w/ celery, onion, cauliflower, red beans, asparagus and some tomato sauce for a soup with cheese garlic bread.
Sometimes I season the thawed pork and make little sausage patties to go with eggs.
You can mix it with veggies cut small and rice, and wrap in cabbage or grape leaves and cook in a lemon chicken broth.
It's very versatile.

Agree with Andy. Assuming it's unseasoned ground pork.

I make a batch of pork meatballs about twice a month. Just a regular meatball recipe, except using soy sauce and ginger instead of worchestershire. I have half of them in a ramen soup and the other half reheated with some kind of sauce and served with rice. Barbecue sauce or garlic-chile sauce are my favs for that.

On edit: at the Pinoy market where I do most of my shopping, ground pork is $1.39 a pound while ground beef is $2.39 a pound. I use ground pork a fair bit. :)

If they are uncooked patties, you could smash some together to make bigger ones fairly easy, right?

If they are precooked I'd make spaghetti and toss in some defrosted patties with the pasta sauce!

mini pork sandwiches with barbeque sauce?

I love ground pork for Italian meatballs for about any red sauce, but you should probably mix it with beef or veal (or both!) since it's usually pretty spicy. I made pork-veal-beef meatballs for the first time early last year and fell in love with the combo.

Ground pork can also be a good mixer with beef in making lasagna, ravioli, or about any stuffed pasta.

I like the idea of Asian meatballs mentioned earlier, yum!

How about chopping them up and adding them to chili? Even if they are seasoned they will probably be very tasty.
You can make breakfast tacos using flour tortillas. Make an egg omelet with the chopped, browned pork patties, saute onion, green bell pepper, chili peppers hot or sweet or both a nice chunk or slice of melting Monterey Jack cheese. Place all inside the warmed flour tortilla and wrap it up like a 'baby in a blanket'. To make it even easier to handle you can wrap the whole taco in wax paper and/or aluminum foil just to keep it neat and warm. Peel back to eat. I just made myself hungry.

If they are pre-cooked and seasoned, thaw and brown a bit and serve on top of scalloped potatoes, mac and cheese, with rice and veggies, in a pasta sauce, little sandwiches, chop up in a burrito, sounds like a real windfall to me!

I think the whole thing here is we have to wait for the OP, ellakav, to let us know whether they are cooked patties or not and how big they are (meatball or burger sized). My assumption is they are burger sized uncooked, but I am only guessing.

I love ground pork for Italian meatballs for about any red sauce, but you should probably mix it with beef or veal (or both!) since it's usually pretty spicy. I made pork-veal-beef meatballs for the first time early last year and fell in love with the combo.

Ground pork can also be a good mixer with beef in making lasagna, ravioli, or about any stuffed pasta.

I like the idea of Asian meatballs mentioned earlier, yum!

If it is spicy then it is sasuage. Ground pork is not spicy at all. :confused:

As a matter of fact, after looking up the definition of sausage, it is encased. By saying that by simply spicing meat makes it sausage says that as soon as you put spice in ground beef it becomes sausage. What you might be looking for then, is what is termed as "Sausage Meat" and not just sausage.

Totally off track of the thread which is about COOKED pork "patties".

I don't know where you keep getting the COOKED part. They just asked about frozen ground pork patties and said they don't know what to do beyond grilling them, which implies to me they are raw. :-p ROFL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom