Ground Turkey Enchiladas
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon good quality chili
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup corn
- 5 canned whole green chilies, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 4 canned chipotle chilies, seeded and minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 16 corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups enchilada sauce, canned
- 1 cup Cheddar and/or Jack cheese
- Garnish: chopped cilantro leaves, chopped scallions, sour cream, chopped tomatoes
Coat large saute pan with oil. Season ground turkey with salt and pepper. Brown over medium heat. Stir in cumin, garlic powder and ground chili. Remove ground turkey and allow to cool.
Saute onion and garlic in butter until tender. Add corn and chilies. Stir well to combine. Add canned tomatoes, saute 1 minute.
Add ground turkey to saute pan, combine with vegetables. Dust the mixture with flour to help set.
Microwave tortillas on high for 30 seconds. This softens them and makes them more pliable. Coat the bottom of 2 (13 by 9-inch) pans with a ladle of enchilada sauce. Using a large shallow bowl, dip each tortilla in enchilada sauce to lightly coat. Spoon 1/4 cup turkey mixture in each tortilla. Fold over filling, place 8 enchiladas in each pan with seam side down. Top with remaining enchilada sauce and cheese.
Bake for 15 minutes in a preheated 350 degree F oven until cheese melts. Garnish with cilantro, scallion, sour cream and chopped tomatoes before serving. Serve with Spanish rice and beans.
Makes 16 enchiladas.