Ground Turkey and Sharp Cheddar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I have a block of 7+ year aged sharp cheddar which is delicious. I have ground turkey. Give me some ideas on how I can combine the two into a quick dinner for tonight. Anything I do not have on hand I can pick up on the way home so I do not have to be terribly limited by ingredients. It needs to be something that I can have on the table in no more than about 30 minutes though. What do you have for me?

Mac & cheese with browned turkey and onion with a handful of frozen broccoli. Or, to be honest I like my cheese sauce better with egg noodles.

Both great suggestions. They had broccoli cheddar soup last night for dinner and mac and cheese the night before :LOL:

Turkey cheeseburgers.

Turkey tacos with cheese

Flatbread (store bought) with cheese and seasoned sauteed turkey.

Then, cheeseburgers, or was that the night before :)?

Maybe just take a break from the cheese. If it's aged 7 years, a day or two more won't matter.

Oh the cheese will last. I just want to use it :)

Andy, I like the taco idea. That would get veggies into them and would be quick to make and fun too because they can assemble their own taco.

if you want super easy, you could make a sort of hamburger casserole, incorporating everything you like on your burgers....brown the meat, saute some onions and garlic, maybe thrown in a can of diced tomatoes (to mimic ketchup?), whatever herbs and spices you like....mix it all up, top with a cheese and breadcrumb mixture then bake to brown the top? sort of seems like a waste of such good cheese, though

that might be too simple and similar to hambrger helper, but im hungry right now and a big bowl of meat and cheese sounds good to me right now

I have actually done that before, just without the breadcrumbs and using beef instead of turkey. It is always something the kids enjoy.

I have never made enchilladas before. Got a recipe or general walkthrough on how you would do it Selkie?

Ground Turkey Enchiladas

Ingredients

• 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 teaspoons cumin powder
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon good quality chili
  • 1 red onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup corn
  • 5 canned whole green chilies, seeded and coarsely chopped
  • 4 canned chipotle chilies, seeded and minced
  • 1 (28-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
  • 1/2 teaspoon all-purpose flour
  • 16 corn tortillas
  • 1 1/2 cups enchilada sauce, canned
  • 1 cup Cheddar and/or Jack cheese
  • Garnish: chopped cilantro leaves, chopped scallions, sour cream, chopped tomatoes
Directions

Coat large saute pan with oil. Season ground turkey with salt and pepper. Brown over medium heat. Stir in cumin, garlic powder and ground chili. Remove ground turkey and allow to cool.
Saute onion and garlic in butter until tender. Add corn and chilies. Stir well to combine. Add canned tomatoes, saute 1 minute.
Add ground turkey to saute pan, combine with vegetables. Dust the mixture with flour to help set.
Microwave tortillas on high for 30 seconds. This softens them and makes them more pliable. Coat the bottom of 2 (13 by 9-inch) pans with a ladle of enchilada sauce. Using a large shallow bowl, dip each tortilla in enchilada sauce to lightly coat. Spoon 1/4 cup turkey mixture in each tortilla. Fold over filling, place 8 enchiladas in each pan with seam side down. Top with remaining enchilada sauce and cheese.
Bake for 15 minutes in a preheated 350 degree F oven until cheese melts. Garnish with cilantro, scallion, sour cream and chopped tomatoes before serving. Serve with Spanish rice and beans.

Makes 16 enchiladas.

Enjoy! :chef:

Last edited:
I too use ground turkey... for health reasons. Not my favorite choice. I prefer greasy ground chuck, but I make due with strong flavors and sauces... and just a pat of butter. (sigh!)

Back
Top Bottom