half & half...what to do with it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennifer75

Senior Cook
I bought a quart to make some chowder, now I'm left with a little more than a cup of it. I want to use it, but how? I've also got some sour cream that I must use soon. In the freezer I've got some marinated pork (al pastor style) and a little bit of chicken quarters. Suggestions?

With the half and half you can make a white sauce. That can be served with your pork or chicken or with pasta.

To make a white sauce, chop some garlic finely. Add 2 tbsp of olive oil/butter in a pan, when it's hot, add garlic and saute it for a minute. Then add 2 tbsp of flour and let it roast in the oil and with the garlic on low heat for atleast 10 minutes or so. Add the half and half and some water if you want to thin it out a bit more.

You can serve it as a gravy with some freshly chopped parsley added to it or you can stir in some pasta in it and top it with parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice and some parmesean cheese. It's simple but delicious.

With the sour cream. You can make a marinade for the chicken. You can add the sour cream to a bowl, stir in some cumin powder, corrainder powder, chili powder, freshly chopped cilantro, some lime juice, salt and leave it for a couple of hours.

Put the chicken, sauce and all in a pan and let it cook until the chicken is done. It will have a nice gravy. Chop some more fresh cilantro and add it at the last minute and serve.

Wow Miss Yakuta!! I was gonna say put the Half n Half In coffee...The sour cream on a baked potato..:ermm: -- Now you've got me running out to buy Sour Cream, Half and Half, and chicken to follow your ideas!!! :chef:

You can use the sour cream and the half and half both in your mashed potatoes. You could also add it to some frozen chopped spinach that has been drained along with some garlic and parmesan cheese for some creamed spinach.

Yes it will just make it a little richer than with milk. You can sub half and half for milk in just about any cooking recipe. I wouldn't try it with baking things.

I agree - you could add some water to thin it out - I still say go for the drink :angel:

I'd go with either pouring it over pasta (with meat or mushrooms or both), or making pancakes or blintzes. The advantage of making the latter is that it is OK to use if it is a little past its sell by date.

With the half and half you can make a white sauce. That can be served with your pork or chicken or with pasta.

To make a white sauce, chop some garlic finely. Add 2 tbsp of olive oil/butter in a pan, when it's hot, add garlic and saute it for a minute. Then add 2 tbsp of flour and let it roast in the oil and with the garlic on low heat for atleast 10 minutes or so. Add the half and half and some water if you want to thin it out a bit more.

You can serve it as a gravy with some freshly chopped parsley added to it or you can stir in some pasta in it and top it with parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice and some parmesean cheese. It's simple but delicious.

With the sour cream. You can make a marinade for the chicken. You can add the sour cream to a bowl, stir in some cumin powder, corrainder powder, chili powder, freshly chopped cilantro, some lime juice, salt and leave it for a couple of hours.

Put the chicken, sauce and all in a pan and let it cook until the chicken is done. It will have a nice gravy. Chop some more fresh cilantro and add it at the last minute and serve.
Yakuta,
sound great. I love new ideas and I'm sure my family will love your recipe. Thank you
kadesma

I always have half-&-half in the fridge since I like it in my coffee & it "keeps" longer than lower-fat milk products. So that's what I always use when I need "milk" for a recipe. If necessary, I just thin it a little with water or broth. I also always have sour cream in the fridge as well, as it keeps a long time & I find it very handy to have on hand for adding to sauces; topping chili, tacos, enchiladas; etc., etc.

I've never been stymied on how to use either one since I consider them fridge "staples".

Sorry lost track of this thread. I was also going to suggest add it to coffee or use it for a milk shake - I mean the half and half but was not sure from the question if she was looking to make something with the pork and chicken so I gave her some more time consuming recipes :).

I do love to make a white sauce with half and half and it never fails me. My kids love it with pasta and so do we. Hope you try it and like it.

I'd go with either pouring it over pasta (with meat or mushrooms or both), or making pancakes or blintzes. The advantage of making the latter is that it is OK to use if it is a little past its sell by date.

Half and half instead of milk in my Pancake batter? Same quantity?

When I was a little girl, my grandma used to give it to me to drink, trying to fatten me up.

It's really good with Kahlua...even though I don't like coffee. It could also be used in clam chowder, potato soup or "cream of" soup. I like the bread pudding idea, though.
Ooh...or eggnog! Hot Chocolate!

The sour cream is easy...make a dip, make a salad dressing, top a potato, top some soup, serve with tacos, add to a cake mix, use in a Jello dessert, etc.

believe it or not, when you make chicken riggies, half and half is better to use than heavy cream, if your leaning toward a pasta dish.

Back
Top Bottom