Help!! Cooking Beef ArmRoast....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookingnovice

Assistant Cook
I need help! I so desire to be an excellent cook for myself and my boyfriend, but am lacking in supplies! We definately have to cook on a budget, especially this week. My parents recently bought 1/2 a cow and so graciously gave us quite an ample supply of different cuts of meat. I want to cook the Beef ArmRoast tomorrow and I need recipes!!! I love a great Roast, potatoes, carrots and celery in a slow cooker....just don't know what I need to prepare this and lack the creativity and confidence to just go for it. I also have some beef stew meat I would love to use....I am open to trying anything so post your best!
Thanks everyone!!!!

I'd love to help, but I don't know what an arm roast is! LOL! Are you looking to use the slow cooker or can you use an oven and a covered pot?

I wouldprefer to use a slow cooker, put can use my oven too. My understanding was I could cook like a regular roast, it's 3 lbs. I appreciate any help you can offer :):chef:

Well when I do a pot roast, I cut up potatoes, onions, celery and carrots and then I rest the roast on top of that. I usually make a "sludge" with some red wine (1c), a tablespoon of brown sugar, a tbsp of beef boullion powder, some oil (1/2c), salt, pepper (healthy shake of each) and maybe some thyme (tsp). I pour that over the whole shebang and set it on low to go for about 6-8 hours. Is that helpful?

Lipton's dry onion soup mix is your friend. They have a nice pot roast recipe. If your roast is 3 lb, I would cut it in half and freeze half, and crockpot a smaller portion since it's only the two of you. Google slow cooker pot roast, there are so many recipes. I usually wing it. Fling in any veg, onions, whatever, veg on the bottom. Sprinkle with onion soup mix and any kind of liquid, as Alix suggested. Cook until it falls apart.

Last edited:
I would do the whole thing in the crockpot--leftovers freeze really nicely, and reheat well in liquid in the microwave.

You could use the shredded beef for bbq sandwiches, tacos, casseroles, hot beef sandwiches, etc.

I'd guess an arm roast is chuck or similar. It would need to be braised (slow cooker) to be tender.

Arm roast is down from the chuck and a little less tender, but slow moist cooking, such as in a slow cooker, works great. A beer + an envelope of dry onion soup mix will be delicious. An alternative that is also delicious and makes it's own gravy, is the dry onion soup mix + a can of cream of mushroom soup.

When I was a young mother, I became an expert on feeding my family well on a budget.

Well when I do a pot roast, I cut up potatoes, onions, celery and carrots and then I rest the roast on top of that. I usually make a "sludge" with some red wine (1c), a tablespoon of brown sugar, a tbsp of beef boullion powder, some oil (1/2c), salt, pepper (healthy shake of each) and maybe some thyme (tsp). I pour that over the whole shebang and set it on low to go for about 6-8 hours. Is that helpful?

Thank you so much! I made my shopping list and I am excited to try this recipe tomorrow! I am excited to see how the wine/brown sugar/and beef boullion come together! Thanks for the tips!

Lipton's dry onion soup mix is your friend. They have a nice pot roast recipe. If your roast is 3 lb, I would cut it in half and freeze half, and crockpot a smaller portion since it's only the two of you. Google slow cooker pot roast, there are so many recipes. I usually wing it. Fling in any veg, onions, whatever, veg on the bottom. Sprinkle with onion soup mix and any kind of liquid, as Alix suggested. Cook until it falls apart.

I love onion soup! That is such a wonderful idea! Should I brown the roast before I place it in the crock pot or is it good to go straight from the fridge?
Thanks!!

I would do the whole thing in the crockpot--leftovers freeze really nicely, and reheat well in liquid in the microwave.

You could use the shredded beef for bbq sandwiches, tacos, casseroles, hot beef sandwiches, etc.

Love the leftovers ideas! My boyfriend enjoys bbq sandwiches and such, I would love to learn how to do a pork roast for pulled pork sandwiches....is it the same basic idea?
Any seasoning suggestions??
Also, does the beer leave much of a taste on the meat? I am not a big beer drinker but have heard from several people to use it for slow cooking meats.

Arm roast is down from the chuck and a little less tender, but slow moist cooking, such as in a slow cooker, works great. A beer + an envelope of dry onion soup mix will be delicious. An alternative that is also delicious and makes it's own gravy, is the dry onion soup mix + a can of cream of mushroom soup.

When I was a young mother, I became an expert on feeding my family well on a budget.

That sounds like a wonderful idea! I am excited to have some extra meat to play around with (without having to break the bank)! I am too nervous to experiment, especially with a picky eater in the house. One plus, the dogs always seem to love my cooking!!!

cookingnovice said:
I love onion soup! That is such a wonderful idea! Should I brown the roast before I place it in the crock pot or is it good to go straight from the fridge?
Thanks!!

Different opinions, probably. I just put mine right in the crock pot, no browning, though you certainly can brown it on all sides. I might brown the beef stew chunks, as there's more surface area and the brown stuff wouldn't disappear as much.

Have fun, it will turn out better than you think!

Last edited:
Different opinions, probably. I just put mine right in the crock pot, no browning, though you certainly can brown it on all sides. I might brown the beef stew chunks, as there's more surface area and the brown stuff wouldn't disappear as much.

Have fun, it will turn out better than you think!

I don't bother to brown mine either, but if you want to take the time, it would make the sauce/gravy a richer color and taste.

Back
Top Bottom