Help I bought WAY too much celery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

betterthanabox

Senior Cook
I don't know what I was thinking, but I bought WAY too much celery. I got 2 huge bunches, because I forgot I had picked some up the day before. Now I have all this celery and nothing to do with it. I am not a fan of eating it straight up. Do you have any ideas of what I should do?

I really dislike celery and only buy it for recipes where it's cooked.

I end up using as much as I can then freeze the rest. It thaws out a little limp but is OK for recipes where it gets cooked.

Chop it up and cook it till soft with some butter. Add chicken stock then puree till smooth. Add a touch of cream if you like. You can also add some onions and/or garlic while cooking down if you want. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.

Celery makes a nice cooked vegatable. Cook it in some stock and serve it plain or use some of the cooking liquid and some milk to make a cream sauce. The creamed version is nice in a casserole with some buttered crumbs and grated cheese.

Chop it and freeze it to use when you want to fry up some carrot and celery and onion as the base to a stew or soup. Include the leaves, they give a nice flavor too.
Keep the tenderest sweetest pieces near the middle, with their leaves chopped off, in the refrigerator, wrapped in foil to make it last longer (I hear).

When buying celery, I smell it. If it smells bitter, I don't buy it, when it smells sweet, that's the good stuff.

Celery is a running joke around here. I cook dinner for a friend that HATES celery. Everytime he asks about dinner, he says 'what's in it'?', I always reply with 'A cup of celery' (he hates it), 'A cup of jalapenos' (hates those too)....., his eyes grow big, and of course there usually isn't any celery or jalapenos in it......and then we all laugh.

I keep celery in a pitcher with a couple of inches water in the bottom. Then, I cover the top with a clear palstic foodgrade bag. It keeps this way for a few weeks in the fridge. Make sure you change the water every couple of days and give the pitcher a good rinse so things don't get slimy.

I also keep sticks in cold water for my daughter. She doen't like cooked veg, so that is one veg she will eat.

Can't help you with this one, Betterthan.
Stick to buying too much bacon. It's a much easier medium to work with :LOL:

Being part of the "Trinity", time to make da roux fur da gumbo!

Craig

Well here is what I have done so far. I made stewed tomatoes, potato soup, and put a large amount on the stove with some onions, carrots, garlic and some spices and I am making some veggie broth. I still have a lot left over, but should be able to use it up in no time with your suggestions!! Thanks for your help!

I don't know what I was thinking, but I bought WAY too much celery. I got 2 huge bunches, because I forgot I had picked some up the day before. Now I have all this celery and nothing to do with it. I am not a fan of eating it straight up. Do you have any ideas of what I should do?

I got so tired of throwing out half a bunch of celery every time I bought it that I finally decided to prep the celery by:

Keep out the central tenderest parts for salads, egg, chicken, tuna, or regular greens salads. Make plans for using us this wonderful part.

The middle size I chop about 1/2" or so pieces and bag and freeze for adding a handful or two to soups, stews.

The tough outer pieces, I just cut off the ends and freeze in another baggie for broth or stock, where I can add a stalk or two then throw it out later.:chef:

Like many who have suggested already, bbox, you'll be surprised how much celery is required to make a surprisingly small batch of pureed and creamed soup. Mine is thickened with potato, and just finished with a drizzle of cream. It's also curry flavored with the addition of garam masala.

gb's celery soup sounds great! especially with zereh's almonds added. thanks guys, great ideas.

i know it's too late, but for future suggestions to readers of this thread here's mine: ants on a log.

we did this at one of our recent cub scout meetings and it was a success as a healthy snack. it's a fun way of getting the kids involved in preparing food.

have the kids spread peanut butter or cream cheese into the concave portion of the celery, then place raisins along it's length so that it resembles it's name, ants on a log.

You can always cut the celery into pieces, set it on a glass plate in the microwave on high setting and gather anyone nearby to watch the sparks fly. I still can't figure out why that happens.

I found a good explanation for the arcing at Yahoo Answers. Just Google "microwave celery".

Back
Top Bottom