Help me get rid of roasted red peppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

velochic

Sous Chef
I have a really large jar of roasted red peppers that I need to get rid of soon. I actually bought this from the online Turkish grocery because they are so inexpensive there, but unfortunately, when I got them, they were already close to expiry.

Any ideas for any dishes would be greatly appreciated. I am using them today in a potato hash dish, and once these are opened, I'm going to need to use them up quickly.

We like just about anything... we're not picky.

I put them on salads most of the time. I also like to chop them up and put them on focaccia, along with chopped marinated artichoke hearts - get a refrigerated pizza dough (or make your own), rub with olive oil and sprinkle with grated Parmesan, bake for about 10 minutes. Add peppers and artichokes, bake another 6-8 minutes.

I make a roasted red pepper jus for lamb.

Dice red peppers, onions and a cloves of garlic to taste. Sautee with evoo for a coupla minutes. Puree in a blender and drain through a seive. Add S&P to taste.

You could add some to a tomato sauce. Or make chicken breasts with roasted red peppers, mozzarella cheese and basil. Top with a couple calamotta olives, evoo S&P.

Pizza toppings
Omellette fillings
a sauteed chicken with diced chicken, pepperoni, roasted red bells, olives, onions, mushrooms, tomato sauce, and some penne pasta
Topping for focaccia
Make a sandwich with a grilled chicken breast, some sauteed onions, roasted red bells, pesto mayo, on a hoagie or ciabatta.

Katie E said:
You have been away, velochic. EVOO is extra-virgin olive oil.
Oh, okay, thanks. "ee-voo" sounded quite exotic! I tried to search on it here and couldn't figure it out. They have that in Germany, too. ;)

I lost touch with a lot when I moved to Germany.

You could make an appetizer dip with them. Or if you are already grilling pork tenderloin, chicken, etc then throw them on the grill to heat through. I also like a veggie sandwich with roasted peppers, onion and mushrooms.

I think everyone gave you pretty much anything I would have said! I like to grill baguette slices, top with goat cheese, pesto, and then slivers of roasted red pepper. I add to veggie paninis - and well, everyone has mentioned my favorite things already!

KitchenElf, I actually have everything you mention on hand, and in addition, chicken. I was thinking of trying Jeekins' suggestion tonight, but I think I'll combine your suggestion with it to try something new.

I'm also going to make a dip with the peppers and some cream cheese (along with some fresh basil from my Community-Supported Argriculture (CSA) box this week.

I'll let you guys know how it all turns out. Thanks again for all of the suggestions!

use them for a direct replacement of Tomatoes, I do this with Onions too.

drain them all and blitz them in a blender add you salt and spices and heat on the stove to make a very thick sauce.

I use this instead of Tomato base on a pizza, and as I said, you can do the same with Onion too. no one ever said that it Must ne Tomato as the base :)

it`s also nice as a sauce for Pasta as well.

I love this recipe with pasta
1/2 cup pureed roasted red peppers
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste

Jeekinz said:
I make a roasted red pepper jus for lamb.

Dice red peppers, onions and a cloves of garlic to taste. Sautee with evoo for a coupla minutes. Puree in a blender and drain through a seive. Add S&P to taste.

I do something like that but I use it to spread on toasted baguette, condiment for sandwiches (roast beef is good) or mix with hummus.

Lots of great meals I've read so far in this thread. However, none have mentioned the following:

Spanish Tortilla Pizza w/ Moroccan Red Bean Soup/Dip.

I say soup/dip since the actual recipe calls for tomato paste, however, I use one large 18oz can of diced tomatos, alongside the rest of the needed ingrediants. Spanish tortilla pizza needs at least 2 whole peppers julienned. So, here is how they're made. The bean dip is from a weight-watchers cook-book and spanish tortilla pizza is from a book called "Grill It!", also with the weight-watchers. It's best if the bean dip is dribbled on the pizza, or just on the side. Adding in the diced tomatos to make it more "soupy" allows it to taste just as good, although I would recommend blending it so it's not full of chunks.

Spanish Tortilla Pizza (6 servings):

2 large red bell peppers (I like BBQing them whole then peeling off the skin then julienning it, otherwise known as julienned pimento peppers, however, if it's already in a jar, peeling them will be rather tenious).

In a bowl combine,
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/8 teaspon of saffron
1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
1 teaspoon capers (I add in 2 teaspoons then some of the oil the capers are in)
S&P
I also like to add in some crushed Basil and tumeric, about a pinch of each.

Once this is ready, add in the peppers and mix them around. This can be stored if you're going to be eating late for dinner or the next day.

Once you're ready to eat, spray your BBQ grill, let it heat then take 3 or 4 (or more) 10inch regular tortillas and put it on the grill once it reaches about 300F. Bubbles form quickly and it hardens, darkening around the edges. It burns very fast and cools fast, so it's best to eat it right away. Flip it and do the same to the other side. Use either tongs or a spatula, but they get crisp and hard enough that using tongs hasn't ever had them break on me.

Also, lightly grill some serrano, or some sort of ham (I like black forest). Flip it then on the other side, put some shredded cheese. Put all that ontop of the peppers and spinkle more cheese over everything. The cheese melts fairly fast but if you're in a hurry or the peppers are cold, microwave for 45 seconds or until cheese is bubbling.

Moroccan Red Bean Dip/Soup (4 servings):

In a skillet, put 1tsp of olive oil and saute 1/2 chopped red onion. Add in some garlic if you like garilic. Saute for 3 or so minutes. Add 1 can tomato puree**, 1 tbsp golden raisins, 3 dried (or fresh) chopped and pitted apricots and 1 tbsp of orange juice. Simmer for 3 or so minutes. Add in can of red kidney beans, 1/4 tsp cumin, 1/8 tsp cinammon, 1/8 tsp ground cloves, 1/8 tsp curry, 1/8 tsp chili powder, S&P. Mix for a little then blend it. I find adding some fresh lemon zest is very nice.

* = tomato puree is equivelant to tomato paste
** = for the dip, use tomato paste, for the soup use 1 can of 18oz diced tomatoes with the juice, some water/vegetable broth and 1/4 tsp of curry, cinammon & chili.

Serve the moroccan bean dip/soup on the side. It's also good to have a salad with vinagrette dressing and some moroccan bean dip/soup on it.

I know it may sound horrible to some, but trust me, serving this at parties, for lunch or dinner is amazing. Everyone who I've served it to said it's amazing and asked for seconds and even thirds. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom