"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 04-08-2008, 07:11 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Why not make a peperonata salad, all roasted of course.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:35 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to petey
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoHambre View Post
well today at the market holland peppers were on special 4 for a dollar... so I bought 8

Now I need to figure out what to do with them as they were really not part of my plans.

I was going to just roast em but then I bought the bacon to break in the cast iron DO (see other posting) and so I figured maybe I could comine the two....

So Holland Peppers & fancy Bacon

In the house is Brown Rice, Cheddar and Jack cheeses a variety of spices from latin to asian and some basic veggies potato, onion, celery etc

IDEAS?

edit to add: ideally something that could keep for a bit and re-heat well I like to leave food for family memebers to eat on thier crazy schedules not always together.... maybe something that could be modified to eliminate bacon (we have a vegetarian).... maybe make a nice side to the bowl of chilli I was planning on eating tonight.
Here's what i would recommend doing:

Cook the brown rice with the celery and onions and use chicken boullion and garlic powder to season along with black pepper and paprika.

Cook the bacon in your Dutch Oven or whatever pot/pan you desire. Then after to remove the bacon do a quick sautee in with some cut up potatoes in the bacon grease for about 5 minutes. Then add the potatoes to a rectangular baking pan.

Meanwhile, after your rice has cooled off ....fluff it with a fork and and the shredded cheddar cheese to it and mix. Then stuff it into your peppers, lay the pepper atop the potatoes in the baking pan and cook at 350 for 40 minutes or until done.

Whatever you choose to do i hope it comes out well,, let us know

Old 04-12-2008, 08:41 PM   #13
Senior Cook

I like to put the peppers in a pasta salad. They keep for a long time in the pasta salad and add a lot of flavor. It is a quick easy snack since everyone eats seperately and also makes a good lunch item.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:39 PM   #14
Head Chef

Well, if you can take advantage of that fabulous deal AGAIN, maybe you can try kadesma's easy chile rellenos, and use pepperjack cheese for the heat.

I haven't tried these yet, but I'm sure going to!

Lee

Here's kadesma's post that I copied and pasted:

Chile Rellenos, kadesma (cj)

I cheat when I make relleno's I just buy Italian long green chiles, cut them in half the long way and take out the seeds I use a box of tempura batter mix and dip the cut chiles in that and place them on a large baking sheet sprayed with pam...I put them so the hollow insides are facing up and then I just lay strips of pepper jack cheese on top. I bake them in a 400 oven til the cheese melts and gets bubbly and starts to get golden. That is all I do..You can use any pepper of choice, but I would recommend the pepper jack cheese to fill the peppers, as I find other cheeses are lacking in taste..