"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative
Old 03-30-2013, 12:17 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
How do YOU make your stuffed peppers?

i was thinking of making stuffed peppers today and just thought i'd ask everyone how they make theirs. is there anything special that you do? any special techniques?

i have some nice orange, red, and green bell peppers to use up, as well as a pound and a third of ground turkey.

i was just going to go the usual route with rice, garlic, onions, and tomatoes, but i'm looking for inspiration.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:17 AM   #2
Master Chef
Mine are usually pretty standard.

I make my standard meatball mix and add rice, then I bake them in sauce covered for about an hour to an hour and a half at 350 degrees.

If you want to shake it up a little throw in some cinnamon, raisins and pine nuts or almonds.

Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:51 AM   #3
Master Chef
I never use rice in the peppers, it' the side dish.
I add breadcrumbs to the meatmix, along with onions, carrots and celery
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:12 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
I blanch the peppers first. Use a combination of wild rice and brown rice, grated cheese, and the usual re: meat and seasoning. I have also used chopped chickpeas/black beans instead of the rice.
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:56 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
I used to make them for my kids. The standard meat and rice filling with mushrooms, celery and onion. But instead of a tomato sauce, I would open a couple of McCormick brown gravy mix and pour that over the stuffed peppers. The kids liked it better. A couple of times I made a typical bread stuffing with leftover chicken and sage dressing. The kids thought that was cool. They love stuffing. Chicken gravy for that one. But I think my weirdest stuffing was leftover pasta with a meatball on the bottom. Standard leftover tomato based gravy for that one. Leftovers in the fridge made it into stuffed pepper quite often.
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:55 AM   #6
Executive Chef
Fresh Mexican "chorizo" made with the turkey and rice. Make a red chili sauce to either bake them in, serve on the side or both. Refried beans and corn tortillas to complete. Got to have cheese too.
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
Head Chef
I make mine with ground meat(Italian sausage or Hamburger or ground turkey) with onions, garlic, chopped tomatoes and lately I have been using Orzo instead of the rice. Everyone really likes that. I put them in a casserole dish with a little chicken or beef stock cover and bake. I really like them with the Italian sausage, gives them a nice spice to them.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching
letscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:49 AM   #8
Master Chef
I fill mine with a thick béchamel mixed with lots of cheese and some chopped and fried bacon and onions. Season to taste. Top with more grated cheese and breadcrumbs and bake. I use them as a side, not a main meal.
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #9
Master Chef
I don't! DH hates green peppers so it would not benefit me to try to make them even though I myself love them! I can occasionally get him to eat some if I chop them fine and add them to a dip or chili or something like that but if he can identify them as green peppers he'll refuse to eat them!
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
Head Chef
I add rice to the mince, to make it lighter, and I choose lamb mince usually. I also tend to use a lot of middle eastern or North African sort of flavours, so some dried fruit,..apricots, prunes perhaps, ras al hangout or perhaps just some cumin and cinnamon. I also love peppers stuffed with nut roast type stuffing.

I use the same sort of flavours stuffing marrows. That middle eastern sort of flavour never gets tired for me.

Tomato on the other hand, I stuff that very differently.....

In omnibus amor et iustum
lulu is offline   Reply With Quote