How Long Could You Go Without Shopping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been ORDERED not to buy any more food, irony is I don't do the shopping--I get into "town" once every 10-14 days. It is Dad who buys all the groceries and I can't use what you buys up fast enough. I could feed a family of six out of the freezer for at least 6 months. Instead, I am cooking for two seniors who don't eat a lot...unless you count the sugar my Dad eats. STOP buying stuff on sale--the grocery "specials" cycle every 14 weeks. Give me time to cook the proteins you have bought!

Great question, Craigsy.

As Dawg mentioned, in a SHTF scenario, we could go months. Maybe 8 months or more with rationing. I could append that by simply sitting on my deck with a compound bow and arrows. We have more food walking through my back yard than you can imagine. Plus, there would be a lot of foraging. There's a field of wild rasperries and blackberries on the back of my property, hence the wildlife.

My biggest problem would be water. There's not a lot on tje top of a mountain. I'd have to haul it from about 3/4 of a mile away from a decent stream that's clean enough.

But for just a eat what you already have scenario, no disasters or breakdown of society, I'm guessing 3 months.

Last edited:
Funny you mentioned being up high Bucky.. I am higher than most in my immediate area. Everything slopes away from me... but without my sump pump - my basement floods in heavy rain and the spring. My well is not that deep, 'bout 120 ft only (last place I lived it was over 450 ft).

I may be at the top of a hill, but that hill is on top of a spring!

I hate to say it, dragn, if you have water issues on a hill, the engineer and builder of your house didn't grade it properly, or test for proper drainage and percolation. It doesn't take much to create a puddle which is a basement even on the side of a hill.

High water tables are rare in mountainous areas.

We passed on a few houses we loved when looking for a new one for exactly this reason.

Last edited:
I have been ORDERED not to buy any more food, irony is I don't do the shopping--I get into "town" once every 10-14 days. It is Dad who buys all the groceries and I can't use what you buys up fast enough. I could feed a family of six out of the freezer for at least 6 months. Instead, I am cooking for two seniors who don't eat a lot...unless you count the sugar my Dad eats. STOP buying stuff on sale--the grocery "specials" cycle every 14 weeks. Give me time to cook the proteins you have bought!

From my frozen stash and dried goods? At least a month, maybe a couple of weeks longer. However, even though we aren't vegetarian, we go through a LOT of fresh produce, bulky fresh produce. Today's cart had the entire front half full of produce. I passed on collard greens today because I knew by buying fluffy things like Swiss chard and escarole, I wouldn't have space for collards, too. After I puzzled all my refrigerated food in, though, I would have had room. *sigh*

Now, maybe I should have commented on each of these in its own reply box, but I figured why pad my post count! :LOL:
...I'm fortunate that within a 3 mile radius there are 4 supermarkets and 2 fish markets. If I increase it to 5 miles I can add a couple more supermarkets, 2 meat stores, a produce market, BJ's warehouse club, Trader Joes, a few bakeries and specialty markets (Asian, Italian, etc.)...
OMG, you live in heaven? :angel: I would be in heaven if I had that kind of selection by us. We have a small, 3-store chain shop at the bottom of our development, but any other store I shop frequently is 8 miles or more away...

If SHTF, we could go for more than a month. Might be some odd freezer combinations, but lots of stuff available.
You don't need StoHTF, you come up with weird combinations already!

...How long I could go without shopping has nothing to do with my well stocked pantries. I NEED to go grocery shopping. This the only shopping I do live... So knowing that, about 4 days max.
Is this an "Ohio thing", beth? I never go more than a week without hitting a grocery store, but since I shop in two (or three) different directions each week I often shop every 3rd-4th day.

...I consider myself to be very frugal also but I can't really say that keeping three weeks food on hand is truly frugal for a single person in my situation. I can walk to the market or stop at a local market while I'm out doing other errands and buy what I need every couple of days...Keeping a supply makes sense to me if you have limited transportation, garden, can/preserve, hunt, fish, etc...
Some of us are planning in the event of a Zombie Apocalypse, AB. ;) Everyone's situation, needs, and patterns are different. If I wanted to walk to the nearest (and only) store in town, it's 3/4 of a mile...downhill. That means I'm bringing my purchases uphill for 3/4 of a mile, hardly a pleasant thought with a hip that barks, knees that buckle every now and then, and sore ankles. So I drive. Once I'm in the car I'll head to the store with a bigger selection and smaller prices.

As far as pantry items go, I figure why buy a box of pasta when I need it when I can take advantage of a sale. That 89 cents a box looks good, even better when I buy four boxes so I can use a $1 off coupon. Beats buying one at the regular $1.29 (or more) price.

Also, when we're back home in OH I can take advantage of an Amish bulk store that is near our daughter's. Instead of buying perfectly fine King Arthur flour at the grocery store for $4 a 5# bag I can get however much I want of heritage wheat flour for 80 cents a pound. The same kind of flour bought online would cost me about $10 for a 2# bag. Plus shipping.

...I also have the constraint of a spouse who does not tolerate shopping and people look at me funny when I make him wear a leash so he doesn't wander off.
I put bells on Himself's shoelaces so I can find where he ran away...

...if you have water issues on a hill, the engineer and builder of your house didn't grade it properly...
bt, you're right about the slope of the land. Our yard slopes down back-to-front. Our bulkhead door is on the back wall of the basement. Every spring melt, and every heavy rain, water leaked in under the man door. People suggested everything from sump pump to digging around the foundation and laying in drainage tiles. We decided to have the yard re-graded from what the builder mucked up, had a slight swale trenched about 10-12 feet away from the foundation, and haven't had any problems in the decade+ since (fingers crossed).

My mom, when she lived in her old house, literally we could have gone 6 months or longer. She had 2 full size fridges and 2 full sized ( bigger than the fridges) freezers, packed to the point that when you opened it, something big hard and frozen fell on your foot. We learned never to open that freezer without wearing shoes to avoid toe fractures. In addition to that , they turned a full sized room into a pantry. The room was long and narrow, but one whole wall of it ( about 20 feet long, 8 feet high) consisted of shelves ( about 1 1/2 feet deep) of all kinds of crap.

Her problem was, she was an impulsive 'sale shopper' and ' coupon user'. There is nothing wrong with taking advantage of sales or coupons, but to me, the purpose of using either is to save money. If your going to go into a store every week, and buy more than you need each week ( therefore spending more than you normally do) and stuff on sale, then you're never saving money. Maybe you have a lot of stuff at discounted prices, but actually spending more money. Only way this pays off ,is if she takes a break for awhile and lives off what she has. I mean she had so much toilet paper, it was beyond belief. that being said, by the way she cooked, all that toilet paper came in handy ( she wasn't a great cook).

After a series of storms, we got the tail end of hurricane in 2003. Because the ground was saturated, there was widespread flooding (our pumping station was flooded so they turned it off) and we lost water for five days and power for about a week. Some people I worked with didn't get power back for two or three weeks.

I am now on medication that requires refrigeration, so we have a gas-powered generator in case it happens again. We also have a gas stove and water heater, so as long as we still have gas service, we can cook in the house and take hot showers.

Living in hurricane country, we are accustomed to stocking up each year on non-perishable food, water, batteries, etc.

Folks, I meant everyday normal life. If we have advanced notice about an impending situation, don't we all "stock up", even if we are loaded to the gills?:ROFLMAO:

BTW... my house was built 200 years ago and didn't have a basement ;). I don't know when the basement was dug out but you can see the 5 original logs that it was built across.

I knew when I bought that the basement flooded but until I experienced two springs I didn't realize in what way. First year I had eaves troughing installed. The next year I had what we call a 'french drain' installed across the front and down one side of the house. No more flooding. Sump pump runs in the spring a lot and my ears are attuned to it going on and off. When I don't hear it I panic and run to the trap door to check and see if I'm floating. :rolleyes:

My nearest "corner store" in the village is 2.5 miles, the nearest grocery is 12.5 one direction, 15.5 in another direction, 18.5 in another.

For those oddball disaster occurrences, I have 20 Tidy Cat litter buckets, ten with potable water, 10 with dish washing/showering/flush the toilet water. I didn't even consider breaking into emergency stores (3 months) when I first answered the question.

Just for the fun of it, looking back at my childhood, almost every neighbor had a Victory Garden. We swapped fresh produce with them. Meat was rationed. Most folks still had an ice box. No freezers. What we kids brought home from the beach each day in the summer by digging clams, was often our evening meal. That allowed our mothers to hoard their meat stamps. And after a Nor'easter storm, we kids would run to the beach to collect as many lobsters as we could.

What produce from the gardens not eaten was canned. In kitchens without air conditioning. There were no giant 36 checkout supermarkets then. Only the corner grocery store that would add up your purchases in pencil on the paper bag. Never more than you could carry home. Kids often had to run to the store for something Mom forgot.

When I entered my teens, a First National store opened up just seconds from where we lived. My mother gave me ten dollars and the list for the weeks groceries. There were kids with their Radio Flyer wagons outside waiting to carry the bags to our house. We always gave them a dime tip. Produce was bought from Pushcart Joe just three doors from where we lived.

Could I go back to live like that if I had to? Nah. I need my air conditioning. And I don't look so great in a bathing suit anymore. Forget running anywhere. I am lucky if I can walk some days.

Interesting memories Addie...
I married at 19.. My weekly take home pay was $52.. We were city folks and we budgeted pretty tightly... My wife did the cooking and we ate meat and potatoes most every day.. I, distinctly, remember that our meat budget was $10 for 2 weeks... Like my pay, things were cheap back then... :rolleyes:

I only grocery shop once a month. And I hate it from the minute I sit down to work on the list 'til I have all the groceries put away. Shopping on line is so much easier. I manage to talk myself out of so many items I think I need.

This thread is amazing! I don't even remember the original question but the variety in answers is terrific....

Somehow I think of an apocalypse... how would I fare? again it depends... perhaps not an apocalypse but other emergency situation such as... no power?... or what? car broke down? (remember I live in the country) out of cash/credit? (oops there goes the internet! by-bye DC lol) 15 'long-lost' relatives just 'dropped' in for a week? :ohmy:(now that's an extreme apocalypse)

if you lose power... better cook up all that 'reserve' in the freezer! (or hope it is winter and you can throw the stuff outside? - I was about 22 days without power in that ice-storm of .. umm.. 199??)

and the list goes on... it's mind boggling.

My parents live in hurricane country, on the North side of Houston. In Houston, the forth largest city in America, there is no way to evacuate everyone, so people on the South side are evacuated, and those on the North side are asked to stay put.

My dad has a gas-powered generator that he maintains, and when Ike came through, he lost power for about five days. The generator kept their refrigerator and freezer running, and a couple of small lamps. He also had his car to charge cell phones and such.

When a big one is heading that way, the stores quickly run out of bottled water and staple foods. So, it is good to have a decent supply of certain things all the time. My dad has empty gallon jugs stockpiled that he can fill up with tap water if a hurricane threat arrises. Canned goods are good to have, too.

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom