How Long Could You Go Without Shopping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
Excluding veges, fruits and herbs, as some folks grow them, how long could you make meals from the pantry, freezer and refrigerator? Eggs are an exception as well. No junk or processed foods (baked goods included).

We could probably go 3 weeks.

I have enough meat and starches to feed the three of us for a month or more. Perishables would be the only issue.

Of course, we wouldn't eat "normal" meals as breakfast foods would run out fast.

Being alone... I could go for more than a month. Perhaps even up to two months. I'm low on flour at the moment but I buy it in 20 k bags so I would be good for bread too.

I could go about 1 month Especially since its the 2 of us now.
I do this once or twice a year, won't go till desperate
Cleans out the pantry, freezer, fridge and refreshes everything.
Then take the month of grocery money that wasn't spent and restock
I find there are some items I don't restock as I may not make that dish as often as I use to, then I would buy If I decide to make it.

I'm guessing at least a month. I need to start eating out of the freezer again. Got some deals on pork and chicken a couple weeks ago.

If you're not including eggs or fresh veggies, I could easily go a month, if not two. Hard to tell exactly. I have a lot of roasts in the freezer, and since I live alone, I could probably eat off a single roast for the better part of a week.

At the first of this month, I decided to empty the small freezer in our apt... Matched up freezer items with pantry items and, except for perishables, we have about a month and a half before restocking...

Works well as we have a trip to Missouri scheduled at that time...

Excluding fresh fruits, veggies, milk, and eggs (well, those come from the neighbour's flock, so they get delivered), we could probably go at least three months. I have been struggling to use up as much of the fish, chicken, and ground beef as possible. The problem is, these items go on "special" about every 6-8 weeks, so I can't keep ahead of my Dad's buying habits.

I shop once a month. Whether I need to or not. I use all my food stamps and some cash. Pirate and I don't eat very much now. A lot of times, just one package of Ramen noodles will feed the both of us. My appetite has become a concern of both Winthrop and myself. I keep showing a weight loss, even if it is just a half pound, each month.

So on the first of April I will go shopping and fill up the pantry again. The freezer is half full still from last month's shopping. All meats have been broken down into individual servings. Two sausages, one chicken thigh, etc. If Pirate wants one of the crazy foods that he is so fond of, he has to buy it himself. Foods that I will never eat. He also has to buy any bread. I don't like bread. Sometimes I will make a loaf in the bread maker for him. Because the freezer is half full of meat, I will be buying a lot less on my trip to the Market Basket.

My three biggest buys each month are coffee, sugar and half and half. I need to fill up the pantry this month. Pasta, canned tomatoes, fresh tomatoes. There are only 16 items on my list so far.

About 2 days. I have a pork tenderloin, a bag of shrimp, and a bag of mixed vegetables in the freezer. The pantry is fairly well stocked with various types of rice, dried pasta, canned tomatoes, beans, tuna, olives, salad dressings, etc.

I'm fortunate that within a 3 mile radius there are 4 supermarkets and 2 fish markets. If I increase it to 5 miles I can add a couple more supermarkets, 2 meat stores, a produce market, BJ's warehouse club, Trader Joes, a few bakeries and specialty markets (Asian, Italian, etc.). If I go anywhere in a car I pass by a supermarket. Most of these can be easily and safely reached by bicycle if I don't drive anywhere for a day or two (and it's over 40 F and dry).

I have 3 weeks left of food in my pantry. Yes due to my size of pantry and fridge/ freezer I know how much I have left. We might be able to go 4 weeks but then it would be eating beans and lentils.

Now that I finally have my kitchen pantry as well as my garage pantry stocked with dry goods, not to mention my deep freeze in the garage filled to capacity, I'm figuring we could easily go a month, that's if I'd stop sharing with the neighbors ;)
I took lunch next door for 4. I had 2 servings of leftover Lasagna and 2 servings of leftover Rapini with Sweet Italian Sausage over pasta that HAD to go. Along with that I took them a half sized Triple Chocolate Cake.
My husband will eat leftovers of any dish only twice or as he calls it "round two, then it's gotta go" :stuart:

If SHTF, we could go for more than a month. Might be some odd freezer combinations, but lots of stuff available.

About 2 days. I have a pork tenderloin, a bag of shrimp, and a bag of mixed vegetables in the freezer. The pantry is fairly well stocked with various types of rice, dried pasta, canned tomatoes, beans, tuna, olives, salad dressings, etc.

Sounds like if you had to, you could eat out of the pantry for a few days [emoji2]

The question was how long could I go without shopping. How long I could go without shopping has nothing to do with my well stocked pantries. I NEED to go grocery shopping. This the only shopping I do live; on site; in a brick and mortar building. So knowing that, about 4 days max.

The question was how long could I go without shopping. How long I could go without shopping has nothing to do with my well stocked pantries. I NEED to go grocery shopping. This the only shopping I do live; on site; in a brick and mortar building. So knowing that, about 4 days max.
That was the title, but not exactly the question.

Back
Top Bottom