How to use left over mashed potatoes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
We have a lot of mashed potatoes left over from dinner last night.. Any great ideas to use em up?

Toss in an egg and some flour and make potato pancakes.

You could make a modified shepherds pie using that crumbly tofu stuff for the "meat" portion.

Or...send them to me so I don't have to peel potatoes for dinner tonight!

We have a lot of mashed potatoes left over from dinner last night.. Any great ideas to use em up?
Janet,
my mom used to do this..Add an egg to the potatoes, then if she had left over meat. she would along with finely diced onion and a little garlic, dice the meat as well, she made two patties one a little bigger for the bottom then put on some of the meat mix, top with our favorite cheese, seal it with the other patty. Brush the whole thing with an egg wash sprinkle with parm and bake til beated through and golden..I would try frying them if it were me but that was her way...
kadesma:)

Make a mashed potato gratin. Preheat the oven to 400F. Com bine the mashed potatoes with an egg or three (based on quantity) and shredded cheese of your choice in a FP. Season with salt and pepper. Put the mixture into a buttered gratin dish (baking dish) and sprinkle more cheese on top. Bake for 30-40 minutes until the cheese on top is melted and the top starts to brown.

All good ideas. Keep em coming - I have a lot. The potatoes have some of the skin in them and are a combo of Idaho and red potatoes. They already have garlic added and I have about 4 - 5 cups left over.

Was planning on serving some salmon fillets for dinner so the shepards pie thing prolly wouldn't work out, but the gratin might or some sort of pancake, croquette thing...

:shifty:How about potato soup tomorrow nite? Heck, you might even have some leftover salmon by then, and it could evolve to chowder!!
Actually I love to make potato soup with leftover mashed taters... Fry up some bacon and onions, add mashed taters and more milk. I like lots of cheese in mine too please. YUMMM

very good binder with egg for meatballs, crab or salmon cakes, topping for shepherds pie or make a dish of colcannon (mash with kale).

Thought you might like to know that I made potato / mushroom soup. It was yummy but I only used about half the left overs... thinking about trying my hand at perogies tomorrow...

You can prepare potato pakora.

add a pinch of red chilli powder, dhania powder, asafoetida, salt according to taste, finely chopped onions, garlics, coriander leaves and a handful gram flour with the mashed potatoes. Mix all the ingredients (mixture should be tight enough for preparing balls). Heat oil in a pan, make small balls of the mixture and deep fry. you can serve potato pakoras with dhania chutney or simply tomato sauce.

If you have some cooked meat, doesn't matter what kind, grind it, add some flour and egg to potato form a pancake in your hand put a table spoon of ground meat put inside fold it, pinch the ends together make it some waht oblong and flat, fry on both sides.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom