I have a freezer full of bacon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I grew up eating biscuits with bacon gravy for breakfast every Sunday... Wondra flour makes this a cinch...

Another recipe combining bacon with biscuits that looks good, from Williams-Sonoma:

Bacon Biscuit Stuffing

This sounds really good! I bet it would be great to add bacon to any stuffing-can't go wrong!

Thanks for the link, Kur. Printed it out. I like the whole idea of using biscuits for stuffing. Lots of possibilities here.

I know this thread is a bit old, but figure you probably haven't gone through 6lbs of bacon yet...

Chef Michael Smith | food-country | Episode 4> Potato Bacon Cheddar Tart

Michael Smith is one of my fav chefs from Food Network Canada (cooking-style-wise anyhow...he's a bit odd at times, but other than that, it's all good). He's just started this web series called Food Country...here's the extract from the site:

Food Country

Food Country is a weekly web series featuring Chef Michael Smith and the flavours, people and stories of Prince Edward Island.
One week Food Country follows Michael as he explores the island, searching for fresh ingredients. The next week Food Country visits Michael’s home kitchen as he cooks and creates simple healthy food.

Now, I'm not sure what exactly is healthy about a potato bacon cheddar tart, but it looks tasty nonetheless.

I might even try it myself, some day. Looks good.

As an aside - I have no affiliation with Chef Michael Smith, etc etc...I just like his shows and saw that one earlier this week.

Last edited:
Bacon is lovely when fried with a bit of garlic and add seasonal greens such as Kale, the salty bacon and the bitter greens make a great pairing.

Try this. It's really easy and tastes great. It's my own variation of one of many Bisquick Impossibly Easy pie recipes.

Impossibly Easy Bacon and Mushroom Pie

¾ cup bacon, diced
½ cup onion, chopped
1 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
¾ cup Bisquick
1 ½ cups milk, cream, or half and half
4 oz gruyere cheese, grated (you can substitute swiss or other cheese but it won't be as good)
3 large eggs
1 pinch nutmeg, grated
1 pinch cayenne pepper

Preheat oven to 400F. Saute bacon over medium high heat until fairly crisp. Reduce heat to medium, then add onion and mushrooms and continue sauteing until onion is limp and mushrooms have released most of their liquid. Pour off excess grease and liquid, then transfer all to a greased 9 inch deep dish pie plate.

In a mixing bowl, beat remaining ingredients together then pour on top of the bacon, onion and mushrooms. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes, then slice and serve.

I saw Paula Deen making bacon the other day. She mixed brown sugar and chili powder and coated the bacon, then she baked it in the oven. I haven't tried it, but I know it is good wrapped around little sausages and sprinkled with brown sugar, so this has to be as good.

A classic that no one has mentioned yet (I think) is to cook two pieces of your favorite french toast recipe a the same time. Flip one piece over and cover the cooked side with gently crisped bacon, and a great cheese, like Gruyere, Swiss, or Fontina. Ok, you can use American cheese or Velveeta if you like. Top with the cooked side of the second piece of french toast and finish like a grilled cheese sandwich. Serve with syrup as usual. It sounds strange, cheese and syrup, but tastes phenomenal.

Bacon bits are great mixed in with pancake or waffle batter as sell.

In your tortiere, or meat pie, substitute bacon as the meat, again adding some shredded cheese to the cubed potatoes and onion. Season with garlic, pepper and salt.

Roll bacon bits into your next batch of cinnamon rolls for and surprising twist.

Bacon bits over ice cream, anyone?:LOL:

Pigs in the blanket made with fresh sourdough, and gently cooked baon wrapped around a good hot dog or polish sausage, maybe with a little sour kraut throne in.

Add bacon to your chili, to add a smoky flavor.

Add bacon to your boiled dinner, or with fried cabbage.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Holy cow- where to begin? I have a few different recipes, although I don't think ANY of them are particularly healthy, so I hope that's not a factor...(but it's ok bc it's bacon!)
This is one of my all time faves- very tasty and depending on the mayo, not toooo bad for you: Bacon, Lettuce, and Cherry Tomato Salad with Aioli Dressing: Recipe : bonappetit.com
Also, I tried a maple pecan bacon crumble at Xoco in Chicago once and had to try something similar. So I found this: Maple-Pecan Sundaes with Candied Bacon Recipe at Epicurious.com
I made this for a party I threw and everyone loooved it. Hope these help a bit...

Umm. I wish I Had a freezer full of bacon. When I get it on sale I fry it up and break it, and freeze it in ziplocks for caesar salad.

Maple syrup season. Fry bacon to crisp and cover with syrup. Keep warm. Then pour it all over French toast.

You should come to a Québec sugaring off. They serve breakfast with maple syrup on everthing: beans, eggs, homefries, cretons, ...

That's why I don't go to sugaring offs. I love maple syrup, but I really dislike sweet with/on my savoury (with a very few exceptions).

I always "splash" some maple syrup (kinda like others use wine--I use maple syrup--but I don't take a nip or two for every splash) in with ham, bacon...don't do breakfast sausage. But then, I'm just trying to use it all up <g>.

Last edited:
I always "splash" some maple syrup (kinda like others use wine--I use maple syrup--but I don't take a nip or two for every splash) in with ham, bacon...don't do breakfast sausage. But then, I'm just trying to use it all up <g>.

I love syrup with breakfast sausage, I'll bet maple would be divine on it.:LOL:

You should come to a Québec sugaring off. They serve breakfast with maple syrup on everthing: beans, eggs, homefries, cretons, ...

That's why I don't go to sugaring offs. I love maple syrup, but I really dislike sweet with/on my savoury (with a very few exceptions).

My family has a sugar bush in Chrysler, Ont, South of Ottawa near Cornwall. I used to go regularly, but haven't in a while. They are in full swing right now.

It's probably too late for this or it might have already been mentioned but I like to par cook the bacon in 1/2 strips. The when they are cooled I wrap a 1/2 slice around a date and secure it with a tooth pick. then bake til the bacon is crisp. These are a favorite of ours and served at any kind of gathering there are never any left over no matter how many I make. It is one of the few things that I make that my dh"s kids appreciate.

Back
Top Bottom