"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 03-24-2011, 02:56 PM   #61
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
It's probably too late for this or it might have already been mentioned but I like to par cook the bacon in 1/2 strips. The when they are cooled I wrap a 1/2 slice around a date and secure it with a tooth pick. then bake til the bacon is crisp. These are a favorite of ours and served at any kind of gathering there are never any left over no matter how many I make. It is one of the few things that I make that my dh"s kids appreciate.
Nice one. Never thought of dates. I have tried pineapple chunks, smoked oysters/mussels, water chesnuts, to name a few...
It is usually expensive around here, so when it does go on sale for half price, I usually buy about 10 lbs.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:54 PM   #62
Senior Cook

send some to me!!

Old 03-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #63
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterthanabox View Post
I got a gift basket for Christmas that had about 6 pounds of bacon. I am just about out of ideas for ways to use it and am hoping for some help. Besides frying some up what can I do with it? I have a lot of odds and ends around my house, so any ideas would be well appreciated!

Something I enjoyed making at the restaurant is bacon wrapped shrimp. Thaw some medium/large shrimp, cut your bacon strip into 1/3s, wrap a chunk of bacon around the head-end, shove a toothpick through it all, toss in bread crumbs, and fry em up!

they take around 1 minute in a deep fryer/fry daddy type cooker. The end result is a nice light breading and an interesting flavor mix. nice for party snacks/cocktail munchies/poker game.

tips: goes better with cocktail sauce than tartar
precooked shrimp will remain the same size through the frying process, and because the bacon cooks so quickly, precooked shrimp alleviates the worry of trying to cook the shrimp completely while not burning the bacon :)

I season my breadcrumbs with lemon pepper, a bit of cayenne, chili powder, season salt, garlic/onion powder.

Please drop some feedback if you decide to try this (although I know shrimp is spendy right now so most of us are avoiding it)
Old 03-26-2011, 03:05 AM   #64
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I'm glad I still have a few pounds of bacon in my freezer. They said on the news tonight that the price of bacon is about to go way up.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:32 AM   #65
Executive Chef

I wish I had a belly full of bacon.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:00 PM   #66
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
My family has a sugar bush in Chrysler, Ont, South of Ottawa near Cornwall. I used to go regularly, but haven't in a while. They are in full swing right now.
IS that part of Aunt Betty's?

Chrysler (although I think it is Crysler--we go there to launch the canoe in the summer) is about 8 minutes "down the road" from me! We have had a spell of cold weather, so the sap wasn't running yesterday and not a lot on Thursday. Should be back in full swing by Monday.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I'm glad I still have a few pounds of bacon in my freezer. They said on the news tonight that the price of bacon is about to go way up.
Did they give a reason why bacon is going up (I would imagine pork prices would be going up if bacon is)?
Old 04-03-2011, 02:23 AM   #68
Assistant Cook

Soup! Yes bacon is great in soups! You could do a _____ and bacon chowder. I use potatoes, but you can use your creativity here. The flavor of the crisped bacon basically spreads in the soup and gives it a great complementary flavor to the _____.

I've got the full recipe on my blog, but it's basically stir-fry the bacon with your chosen ______ until the bacon is crisp. YOu can add garlic or onion as well, then add water and fresh milk. Bring to a boil, season to taste, and then thicken with cornstarch or something.

It's amazing how bacon can enhance the flavor or soup!
Old 04-03-2011, 03:12 AM   #69
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Did they give a reason why bacon is going up (I would imagine pork prices would be going up if bacon is)?
They just said that pork belly futures had more than doubled and that bacon should be way up in the next few weeks.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:09 AM   #70
Senior Cook

All these ideas are great and sound delicious, but I agree with you that there should be a dish with bacon as the main ingredient.

What about mini bacon french toast bites. Take bread and dip it in the regular batter for french toast and then cut them into medium or large size dice. Wrap them in bacon and put a tooth pick in them. Deep fry and finish with a maple syrup glaze.

Ok, I just thought of this off the top of my head so I have no idea what this would taste like, but you said you wanted bacon as the main ingredient so here it goes. Bacon lasagna. No pasta in the dish, use bacon in place of the lasagna noodles. I think layers of a traditional bechamel sauce and bacon would work. Not sure what kind of cheese to add in-between the layers of bacon and sauce, but mozzarella would work or ricotta salata would also be a good choice.

You could also try a bacon meatball. In the meatball the only meat would be ground up bacon.

Bacon flavored ice cream with a bacon flavored ganache and bacon chocolate and crispy bacon bits as garnish. That is kind of more of an ice cream, but it is very heavy on the bacon.

I am sure there are many other great ideas and if I think of some I will post them. Hope you make many more great bacon dishes.

Tags
bacon, freezer