I have a pound of bay scallops...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bacon. Fry the bacon, then gently do the scallops in some of the bacon drippings. (I find wrapping those little beasties is a pain in the butt and you can have just as much flavour the easy way.)

Toss with a bit of cream and pasta if you like, but I'd eat 'em just as is. Enjoy.

Baked Scallops (serves 8)
My recipe that I made up after eating a lot of seafood cassolets in Boston. My father really learned to eat seafood in Boston and Maine.

Ingredients:
2 pounds bay or sea scallops, rinsed and patted dry, sea ones quartered
salt and pepper
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup dy white wine
sherry to taste, optional
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup cream
1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs

Directions:
Put the scallops into a large mixing bowl, salt and pepper to taste. Then add the lemon juice, wine and sherry. Toss together. Generously butter a shallow 12 x 16-inch baking dish. Using a rubber spatula, scrape the scallop mixture and all of its liquid into the baking dish, then add the cream. Sprinkle the top evenly with the bread crumbs. Bake 400 degrees for 12-14 minutes, or until bread crumbs are pale gold.

DH makes them either baked in a little cream and butter with thin sliced onion or he lightly sautes them and makes a citrus sauce / reduction with butter, honey and OJ.

The other suggestions look yummy too though!

how about bay scallops linguini?

boil and drain a half pound of linguini so it's al dente.

put 2 tbsps of evoo in a large skillet over medium heat, add 4 lengthwise sliced cloves of garlic, toast for just a minute, then add 2 minced large sections of shallot. sweat the shallots for 1 minute.
dump in a small can of diced tomatoes, turn up heat to high and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, until it reduces so it's not watery. chuck in scallops and a handful of chopped fresh basil, and a little chopped fresh parsley. cover, reduce heat to low, stir after a minute or so, turn off the heat, stir, and cover again. let sit for about 5 minutes, until the scallops are barely cooked/opaque. serve over the linguini with crusty semolina bread and peppered evoo for dipping.

Any recipe for "Coquille St. Jacques", which is basically lightly sauteed bay scallops, mushrooms, & sometimes a bit of minced red bell pepper for color, in a white-wine cream sauce, topped with a bit of grated parmesan or gruyere cheese, & baked in scallop shells or ramekins.

Back
Top Bottom