"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 03-10-2008, 08:28 AM   #21
Head Chef

Pizza burgers! make 2 thin hamburger patties. (you can mix in sausage if you want). a layer of sauce and mozzarella cheese then the second patty. Seal around the edges and grill/fry. Tasty...

Old 03-10-2008, 08:57 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Put it in baked ziti with peppers, onions and Italian sausage.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:44 AM   #23
Master Chef

How about veal or chicken cutlet parmesan? Serve with the sauce over the meat and top with mozzarella and bake.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:00 AM   #24
Master Chef

Spaghetti sauce can be used as a base for Manhattan Clam chowder (with tweaking of course, or add musscles and clams to it to make it a true marinara sauce. You can also use it as a condiment. Or, add some peppers, some chili powder, a little cumin and coriander, and you've turned your spaghetti sauce into an enchilada sauce. It can also be the base for a vegatable juice cocktail.

Just a couple of ideas.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:25 AM   #25
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Okay, I should have worded this differently. I have sauce. I have sauce up the ying yang. I thought this was the "I only have X ingredient" section so my X ingredient is spaghetti sauce. I need alternatives for something other than just pouring it over pasta.
Reduce some of it and use it as pizza sauce.
Use it as a sauce for mussels
My sister cooks cabbage and peppers in spaghetti sauce. add a couple of hot peppers. You have a tasty veggie dish. Sprinkle with grated cheese, if you like.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:27 AM   #26
Sous Chef

For a quick snack or lazy meal English Muffin Pizza is fun and easy and can be made in a toaster oven if you are feeling super lazy.

I also like to cook vegetables like Zucchini and Broccoli with red sauce just chop em up and thow them in a dutch oven or simmer on the stove and you have a nice side dish or something to serve over rice for a healthy meal (you could also add chicken or tuna for a protein)

you could also probably make a modified Steak Pizziaola substituting the sauce for the tomatoes and paste.

I also use red sauce to make an italian turkeyloaf I mix some into the meat and use some to form a crust around the loaf painting it on as it cooks. add some grated parm to the mix too.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

You could use some of your sauce, mixed with red or green curry paste (your preference), some lemongrass and a few thai chilis. Take a couple dungeness crabs, cleaned, break them up and crack the shells and cook them in a wok with your sauce until the crabs are just cooked through. It should be an interesting version of chili crabs.
Shucks....now I am hungry!!!
Old 03-10-2008, 05:40 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff G. View Post
Pizza burgers! make 2 thin hamburger patties. (you can mix in sausage if you want). a layer of sauce and mozzarella cheese then the second patty. Seal around the edges and grill/fry. Tasty...
OMG this one sounds good and I have a bunch of hamburger.

I love all the other ideas too and thanks for changing my title.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:22 PM   #29
Executive Chef

What, no chicken or veal or pork parmasan? What about an omelet with choirizo, chopped peppers and sharp shredded cheddar, topped with some lightly sauted chopped onions added to alittle sauce and poured over the omelet?
Shrimp marinara, or clams, or any fish stew. Use it as the base adding the fish liquor or stock to it with some diced potatoes and celery and diced red or green pepper. You can add ped pepper flakes to spice any of the above up.

What do you think?
quicksilver
Old 04-11-2008, 02:26 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Mix with browned ground meat and other cooked veggies. Put in an ovenproof dish and cover with mashed potato - cottage pie.