"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 09-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Love the suggestions but the chicken breasts are being roasted as is with some cajun seasoning and with the intent of the leftovers being served cold at a picnic tomorrow. I'm actually cooking a whole pile of these tonight and so basically just want to serve these as is tonight.

I'm considering a small corn custard (corn, eggs, milk, cheese) and a side plate sliced tomatoes but think it's still a weird menu. I need to start cooking soon-ish...
Roasted chicken parts
Steamed artichokes w/ lemon butter
Crusty bread
Corn casserole/souffle thing (can cook with chicken and satisfies vegetarian in house)
Sliced garden tomatoes on rocket
Has anyone ever chopped up capers in artichoke butter before? Molly annes post got me craving capers....
Capers in butter sounds great!

Old 09-23-2012, 10:59 PM   #12
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
If it weren't for the need for leftover, I would say why not just kind of stew the bird with the artichokes and what not. Brown the bird, add garlic, onion, brown some more, add artichokes, maybe shaved fennel, capers, and sun dried(as mentioned) deglaze with canned chicken stock, and maybe other stuff(wine)/ liquid to cover, stew done and serve with rice/pasta and boom. done. One pot meal.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:04 AM   #13
Wine Guy

This doesn't help you tonight, but one of our favorite combos with steamed artichokes is steak fondue. The two go together perfectly. While you're sitting there waiting for your steak chunk to cook in the fondue pot, it allows you time to pull a number of leaves off the artichokes and eat them.

I even use the same horseradish and sour cream dip for both the steak and the 'chokes.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:03 AM   #14
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
This doesn't help you tonight, but one of our favorite combos with steamed artichokes is steak fondue. The two go together perfectly. While you're sitting there waiting for your steak chunk to cook in the fondue pot, it allows you time to pull a number of leaves off the artichokes and eat them.

I even use the same horseradish and sour cream dip for both the steak and the 'chokes.
Man, while I am not a huge fondue fan, this sounds like a nice combo, and way to spend some time with friends.

Too bad shabu shabu and artichoke just doesn't have that great a ring to it, but I like the idea.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:14 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to Richard Bishop
Sorry Im late

I apologize for being late but maybe you can use this for later or future reference.
The way I'd round out the menu would be as follows:
Make an orange soy chicken with steamed artichokes and gnocchi. The gnocchi will give a different texture and flavor and when combined with the flavors of a nice artichoke and orange soy chicken it would be a well rounded meal. Hope this helps.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:26 AM   #16
Senior Cook

I'm too late as well, but I like them as a starter, either with melted butter or a vinaigrette dip. Dipping the leaves and using your teeth to scrape out the succulent flesh at the base of each leaf is great fun and then the lovely heart under the choke, delicious.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm so simple--I like artichokes steamed, drizzled with lemon juice, S&P, and dipped in homemade mayo. You guys are so much more creative re: how to eat artichokes than I am. I just like artichokes as artichokes. But, I am making an artichoke tapenade tomorrow...
Old 09-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerbicacid View Post
I'm too late as well, but I like them as a starter, either with melted butter or a vinaigrette dip. Dipping the leaves and using your teeth to scrape out the succulent flesh at the base of each leaf is great fun and then the lovely heart under the choke, delicious.

That's basically how I eat them. I'm just not creative when it comes to artichokes.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #19
Master Chef

Just so's ya knows, that yummy part of the artichoke that everyone, yes and that includes me, raves about, the heart, well that's the head of stem, where it meats the "flower". If you can find an artichoke with a stem left on it, don't cut it off and throw it away. It has the same texture and flavor as the heart.

So too it is with cauliflower and broccoli stems. They are great when cut into rounds and steamed with the heads.

Favorite way to have arichokes, steamed and eaten, leaf by leaf, dipped in drawn butter, remove the choke, and eat the heart. I like to have lobster tail with the artichoke, so as to have some good protein to dip into the drawn butter as well. Soooo good. Sooooo expensive. Served rarely in our home, like for the wedding anniversary every year. Not sure what desert would work for this meal combo, maybe some fresh cantalope. ar macadamia nut, white chocolate chip cookies.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #20
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Bishop View Post
I apologize for being late but maybe you can use this for later or future reference.
The way I'd round out the menu would be as follows:
Make an orange soy chicken with steamed artichokes and gnocchi. The gnocchi will give a different texture and flavor and when combined with the flavors of a nice artichoke and orange soy chicken it would be a well rounded meal. Hope this helps.

This would have been perfect! Gnocchi is generally not on my radar so thanks for the suggestion :)