"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-09-2008, 03:10 PM   #21
Assistant Cook
 
vegetarian_bri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Coolest city in America!
Posts: 33
hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
cheddar cheese bisquits?
parmesan cheese bisquits?
(you'd need some milk)
egg drop type soup
(you'd need some chicken broth or bouillion)
(veggies would be nice)
I cant use chicken broth or bouillon because I am a vegetarian. I have no idea what egg drop type soup is though.
__________________

__________________
vegetarian_bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:50 PM   #22
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: central Ohio
Posts: 3,131
I cannot for the life of me remember where I found this recipe!?! Maybe someone on here???


Mushroom Rolls
1/2 C chopped onion
1/2 lb chopped mushrooms
1/4 C butter or margarine
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1 loaf - white sandwhich bread (square style loaf is better)
melted butter or margarine for brushing

Saute the mushrooms, onions and butter in frying pan until soft and onions are clear
Add cream cheese in chunks. Add next 4 ingredients. stir until cream cheese is melted. Let cool.
Remove crusts from bread and roll each piece with a roliing pin. spread mushroom mixture on each slice and roll up like a jelly roll. brush with melted butter. (you can freeze them at this point if you wish) Cut each roll in three pieces and arrange on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 400 F for 10 to 1
__________________

__________________
"Many people have eaten my cooking & gone on to lead Normal lives."

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:15 PM   #23
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: central Ohio
Posts: 3,131
Here instructions for an Egg Drop Soup recipe Super fast and very comforting!

How to Make Egg Drop Soup - Mahalo
__________________
"Many people have eaten my cooking & gone on to lead Normal lives."

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:12 PM   #24
Assistant Cook
 
vegetarian_bri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Coolest city in America!
Posts: 33
Sounds good but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deelady View Post
I cannot for the life of me remember where I found this recipe!?! Maybe someone on here???


Mushroom Rolls
1/2 C chopped onion
1/2 lb chopped mushrooms
1/4 C butter or margarine
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1 loaf - white sandwhich bread (square style loaf is better)
melted butter or margarine for brushing

Saute the mushrooms, onions and butter in frying pan until soft and onions are clear
Add cream cheese in chunks. Add next 4 ingredients. stir until cream cheese is melted. Let cool.
Remove crusts from bread and roll each piece with a roliing pin. spread mushroom mixture on each slice and roll up like a jelly roll. brush with melted butter. (you can freeze them at this point if you wish) Cut each roll in three pieces and arrange on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 400 F for 10 to 1
My family doesnt buy white bread because it is bad for you, nor cream cheese. It is too fatty, normally i wouldnt care but....

My mom has chronic pancreatitis....she can only have 25 grams of fat a day...my dad doesnt let me make things terrible fatty unless she is gone.
__________________
vegetarian_bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:49 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegetarian_bri View Post
My family doesnt buy white bread because it is bad for you, nor cream cheese. It is too fatty, normally i wouldnt care but....

My mom has chronic pancreatitis....she can only have 25 grams of fat a day...my dad doesnt let me make things terrible fatty unless she is gone.
You might check into making your own bread so you can use recipes like this one. We haven't purchased commercial bread in our house for almost 20 years. I make all of our bread products.

Also, see if there's a replacement for the cream cheese your mom can tolerate. I'm not well-versed in this area of food so, perhaps, someone else will come along and assist.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:24 AM   #26
Assistant Cook
 
vegetarian_bri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Coolest city in America!
Posts: 33
there is a replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
You might check into making your own bread so you can use recipes like this one. We haven't purchased commercial bread in our house for almost 20 years. I make all of our bread products.

Also, see if there's a replacement for the cream cheese your mom can tolerate. I'm not well-versed in this area of food so, perhaps, someone else will come along and assist.
We have bought replacement cream cheese but it was disgusting, and almost entirely wax. Thank you though.
__________________
vegetarian_bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:43 AM   #27
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,119
To replace cream cheese, make some skim milk into yogurt, then strain for 12 hours through a cheese cloth, and you'll get something a little tarter than cream cheese and not so much fat. Mix in herb and a little salt for flavor.
__________________
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:13 PM   #28
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: central Ohio
Posts: 3,131
also for anything such as egg drop soup or any other recipe you can just use vegetable stock in place of the chicken stock, it will be just as good.
__________________

__________________
"Many people have eaten my cooking & gone on to lead Normal lives."

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ingredients, lunch, pasta, spices

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.