I would like to eat a pig

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gads - wish I had seen this earlier. I have scads of pork recipes. I think I eat mostly pork and chicken and seafood, seafood, seafood, a bit of fish and little beef.
this is my go to recipe when I want to impress but you could (and I would) do it just for yourself!
This normally uses 2 tenderloins tied together, but you could do just one. Fold the thin end under to make the whole piece of meat more even.
tenderloin, bacon, garlic, apples, onion, stock
following is rough written so read thru...
Season, chopped sage (or dried), minced garlic, salt, pepper. Spread bacon out as a blanket, lay tenderloin on top, crisscross bacon over the tenderloin in a chevron pattern. Tie it up snug with twine, length wise and crosswise.
Preheat oven - 425
Heat frying pan big enough to hold tenderloin, lightly brown tenderloin on all sides (probably 10 min. or so) Transfer to baking pan with a rack, dump it in the oven for about 30 min. Internal temp should be 145. Onto the cutting board and foil for 10/15 min.
Meanwhile, peel core & slice apple/s and onion.
Using the fat from the frying pan, over medium heat, cook onion 'bout 10 min (brown it) add some flour, 1 minute, add broth, apple slices, simmer 10 or so, till sauce is thickened and apples tender.
Snip off lengthwise string first then the crosswise strings. Slice Serve on apples drizzled with sauce.
And "pig" out with mashers on the side, carrots, etc.

Big ol' plate of crispy fried side pork....
Streakolean.jpg

Yep yep yep. :pig:

Nothing highlights porkiness for me like ribs! If I had been pork deprived for an extended time, the firs two things I would crave would be ribs and/or bacon.

Yup, ribs. I'd do ribs. Himself actually smoked them once, a couple years ago, and had no clue on what he was doing. They were wonderful...

Ribs. Or bacon. Maybe a pulled pork. Wrap individual servings of the leftovers and freeze, and take them for lunch when the urge for pork becomes really strong. That's as long as Beloved Wife isn't adverse to having some pig spirited away in the freezer while she's in the house.

Country-style pork ribs. They can be grilled in a relatively short time. They give you a combination of the lean loin and fattier dark meat of the shoulder and ribs. You can marinate, rub, mop and baste them any way you like and there need be no leftovers.

Country-style pork ribs. They can be grilled in a relatively short time. They give you a combination of the lean loin and fattier dark meat of the shoulder and ribs. You can marinate, rub, mop and baste them any way you like and there need be no leftovers.

A larger package of those and you could make green chili with part of it.

You are all evil people, but I like you. Undermining my wife's heartfelt religious views. But hey they aren't mine...

Thanks for the recipes. I hope you know I adore you all, takes a good friend to provide pork ideas to a Quaker with a Jewish wife away on a trip. Je te adore.

TBS

So....Fox. What porky dish did you end up with while Beloved is away? :)

I was going to suggest pulled pork too, but Cooking Goddess beat me to it, and you did say you didn't want leftovers. Nothing like a pulled pork sammie on a hoagie roll with a side of cole slaw. :yum: Yum. As CG also mentioned, a couple of bags of pulled pork in the freezer would be great for lunches, and be available the next time Beloved has to go on travel. Maybe hidden, stashed way in the back of the freezer...?

Last edited:
If I could only cook pork once and then do without for a long time I'd smoke or just slowly braise a pork butt. That'd leave leftovers though so if I had to eat it all in one sitting I'd grill or pan sear nice thick pork chops. Or maybe a get one of those thick individually shrink-wrapped country ham steaks.

Gosh - Can't seem to get this thread off my mind.

I think if I had to make a choice on a piggy meal, mind you, without a lot of leftovers! - it would really be a toss up between a tenderloin and ribs. If you had tenderloin leftovers - slice thin and pop into a sandwich, and ribs... well, don't think there would be any leftovers - but I have been known to finish last nights supper for breakfast - on more than one occasion :angel: .

C'mon man! We're dying of curiosity here. Whad'ya make!!! She's gonna be home tomorrow!

Last edited:
20 to 30 guests, 150# whole hog, one Caja China, lots of Kirby mojo criollo, black beans and rice, yucca frita, tostones, maduros, plenty of mojitos and you're golden! A nice flan for dessert.:yum:

Deglaze pan with calvados (apple brandy)and reduce heat.
Add apple puree - about 1/2 cup. The best I've found to use is jarred all natural baby food applesauce. It's very smooth and this is important. It's also important to use unsweetened applesauce - you need the acid tang of the apple to offset the cream.
Add cream - about 1/3 C.
Add juice from resting pork back into pan and re-season with salt and pepper.

Arrange pork on a serving platter and pour sauce over.
Garnish with a bit of chopped parsley or fresh minced sage (or both).

EAT.

This is a very interesting to me, and very french recipe. I really like the idea of juice, deglazing, fruit puree and cream. I know Pork and Apples are like Jam and Peanut Butter, but I am thinking of adapting this. I could see this, maybe not with a London Broil, but with a Rump or Flank roast? I'd want, I think, if I did it with beef, some onions in the mix.

One of the things I need to work on is my sauces. To be honest, for my home cooking, I kind of De-prioritized learning sauces. I know about the four mother sauces and variations, but it always seems to have a two step requirement in preparation, but most importantly likes a really consistent heat and temperature with very little margin of error.

I've got the recipes, but when I try them, they often go not good, because I am using an apartment electric stove from 1987, (Swear to god one apartment I rented had as stove/range I am sure they bought from Yugoslavia, landlors were Slavs, and mine is currently) and a lodge skillet as my saucepan. One of these days I will be in a place with a nice gas stove, and man I'll go Julia Child on all you.

So, while I always learn, I have preferred my learning about casseroles and baking. I can keep my oven at 400, within about 10 degrees or so, but haven't been making souffles, so with my casserole, stew, and even bread and baking, which is precise in ingredients, but sometimes forgiving in baking.

Also, my aesthetic in cooking is, well, 'things I could also prepare with a campfire'. I love my pressure cooker, but I tend to think of it as a 'quick campfire' rather than use it well.

So saying, there are some areas I have large blind spots in my cooking knowledge. Sauces are one. I've made them in a restaurant, but it was with a commercial range, and to specific instructions, and frankly, I was a sub for the saucier. I was pretty good on the grill, when I got stressed I just imagined I was at camp, sauce is trouble.

Again, thanks for the recipe, there is some smart thinking here. Love it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kayelle,

I used your sauce, and I violated my own rules.

I hope I didn't imply Pork Festival was secret from my Beloved, She recognizes she has her religion, and I have mine.

Used your sauce and Janet's cooking, and I broke my own rules, as there were leftovers, cool with my wife as long as they are clearly labeled.

Cheers,

TBS

Kayelle,

I used your sauce, and I violated my own rules.

I hope I didn't imply Pork Festival was secret from my Beloved, She recognizes she has her religion, and I have mine.

Used your sauce and Janet's cooking, and I broke my own rules, as there were leftovers, cool with my wife as long as they are clearly labeled.

Cheers,

TBS

I'd love to claim credit, but that recipe was from Janet. It sounds wonderful.

Back
Top Bottom