"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 08-20-2016, 12:30 AM   #31
Master Chef

So....Fox. What porky dish did you end up with while Beloved is away?

I was going to suggest pulled pork too, but Cooking Goddess beat me to it, and you did say you didn't want leftovers. Nothing like a pulled pork sammie on a hoagie roll with a side of cole slaw. Yum. As CG also mentioned, a couple of bags of pulled pork in the freezer would be great for lunches, and be available the next time Beloved has to go on travel. Maybe hidden, stashed way in the back of the freezer...?

Old 08-20-2016, 01:05 AM   #32
Head Chef

Cheesh, we are the cult of bacon and pork. lol

Old 08-20-2016, 03:55 PM   #33
Head Chef

If I could only cook pork once and then do without for a long time I'd smoke or just slowly braise a pork butt. That'd leave leftovers though so if I had to eat it all in one sitting I'd grill or pan sear nice thick pork chops. Or maybe a get one of those thick individually shrink-wrapped country ham steaks.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:12 PM   #34
Head Chef

Gosh - Can't seem to get this thread off my mind.

I think if I had to make a choice on a piggy meal, mind you, without a lot of leftovers! - it would really be a toss up between a tenderloin and ribs. If you had tenderloin leftovers - slice thin and pop into a sandwich, and ribs... well, don't think there would be any leftovers - but I have been known to finish last nights supper for breakfast - on more than one occasion .

C'mon man! We're dying of curiosity here. Whad'ya make!!! She's gonna be home tomorrow!
Old 08-20-2016, 04:22 PM   #35
Executive Chef

20 to 30 guests, 150# whole hog, one Caja China, lots of Kirby mojo criollo, black beans and rice, yucca frita, tostones, maduros, plenty of mojitos and you're golden! A nice flan for dessert.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:32 PM   #36
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
20 to 30 guests, 150# whole hog,:
Wha!!! You trying to get the poor guy into divorce court?

Because there ain't NO way she ain't gonna find out!
Old 08-22-2016, 05:02 PM   #37
Senior Cook

Quote:
Deglaze pan with calvados (apple brandy)and reduce heat.
Add apple puree - about 1/2 cup. The best I've found to use is jarred all natural baby food applesauce. It's very smooth and this is important. It's also important to use unsweetened applesauce - you need the acid tang of the apple to offset the cream.
Add cream - about 1/3 C.
Add juice from resting pork back into pan and re-season with salt and pepper.

Arrange pork on a serving platter and pour sauce over.
Garnish with a bit of chopped parsley or fresh minced sage (or both).

EAT.
This is a very interesting to me, and very french recipe. I really like the idea of juice, deglazing, fruit puree and cream. I know Pork and Apples are like Jam and Peanut Butter, but I am thinking of adapting this. I could see this, maybe not with a London Broil, but with a Rump or Flank roast? I'd want, I think, if I did it with beef, some onions in the mix.

One of the things I need to work on is my sauces. To be honest, for my home cooking, I kind of De-prioritized learning sauces. I know about the four mother sauces and variations, but it always seems to have a two step requirement in preparation, but most importantly likes a really consistent heat and temperature with very little margin of error.

I've got the recipes, but when I try them, they often go not good, because I am using an apartment electric stove from 1987, (Swear to god one apartment I rented had as stove/range I am sure they bought from Yugoslavia, landlors were Slavs, and mine is currently) and a lodge skillet as my saucepan. One of these days I will be in a place with a nice gas stove, and man I'll go Julia Child on all you.

So, while I always learn, I have preferred my learning about casseroles and baking. I can keep my oven at 400, within about 10 degrees or so, but haven't been making souffles, so with my casserole, stew, and even bread and baking, which is precise in ingredients, but sometimes forgiving in baking.

Also, my aesthetic in cooking is, well, 'things I could also prepare with a campfire'. I love my pressure cooker, but I tend to think of it as a 'quick campfire' rather than use it well.

So saying, there are some areas I have large blind spots in my cooking knowledge. Sauces are one. I've made them in a restaurant, but it was with a commercial range, and to specific instructions, and frankly, I was a sub for the saucier. I was pretty good on the grill, when I got stressed I just imagined I was at camp, sauce is trouble.

Again, thanks for the recipe, there is some smart thinking here. Love it.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:10 PM   #38
Master Chef

Good grief man, give it up....what did you cook and did she smell pig on your breath??

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:57 PM   #39
Senior Cook

Kayelle,

I used your sauce, and I violated my own rules.

I hope I didn't imply Pork Festival was secret from my Beloved, She recognizes she has her religion, and I have mine.

Used your sauce and Janet's cooking, and I broke my own rules, as there were leftovers, cool with my wife as long as they are clearly labeled.

Cheers,

TBS
Old 08-22-2016, 06:23 PM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
Kayelle,

I used your sauce, and I violated my own rules.

I hope I didn't imply Pork Festival was secret from my Beloved, She recognizes she has her religion, and I have mine.

Used your sauce and Janet's cooking, and I broke my own rules, as there were leftovers, cool with my wife as long as they are clearly labeled.

Cheers,

TBS
I'd love to claim credit, but that recipe was from Janet. It sounds wonderful.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote