"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 05-16-2011, 12:00 PM   #11
Head Chef

Depends on whether the ground pork is loin, or another cut. I wish the "Pork Council" would at least start labeling fat percentage like the "Beef Society" has adopted.

I, too, like Asian dishes with minced pig. In general, it makes a good wet gravy and dry hash. Like spicy Chinese ma-bo tofu over rice, and tangy Thai larb in butter lettuce wrap. Or, biscuit gravy and breakfast scramble.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:44 PM   #12
Senior Cook

What awesome suggestions...and that wonton soup looks amazing!
I have never had dirty rice with ground pork in it (that I know of) but I don't see why not...chicken liver ought to be cheap too.
Sparrowgrass--I can manage finding chili sauce, but oddly enough I can't get eggroll wrapper or rice noodles. I think I'm gonna try that green bean recipe this week, I haven't had anything with ginger in it in forever.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texherp View Post
What awesome suggestions...and that wonton soup looks amazing!
I have never had dirty rice with ground pork in it (that I know of) but I don't see why not...chicken liver ought to be cheap too.
Sparrowgrass--I can manage finding chili sauce, but oddly enough I can't get eggroll wrapper or rice noodles. I think I'm gonna try that green bean recipe this week, I haven't had anything with ginger in it in forever.
Thank you TH! It was amazing how quick and easy it was to make.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #14
Head Chef

Make a very thin pattie of the seasoned pork. Plop (a culinary term) a dollop of stuffing in the middle of it and wrap the pork around the stuffing. Bake until pork is done. Or put in a baking dish with a gravy of your own choosing and bake until pork is done.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:47 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texherp View Post
It's usually a mixture of ground pork, chicken livers and gizzards. I personally prefer to leave out the gizzards and use just a little more livers and g. pork.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:20 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
It's usually a mixture of ground pork, chicken livers and gizzards. I personally prefer to leave out the gizzards and use just a little more livers and g. pork.
OK, didn't know! That has been on my list of things to try out for a long time. I got a few bell peppers coming in on my plants too. Do you have a recipe you wouldn't mind sharing?
Old 05-17-2011, 12:21 AM   #17
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Homemade wontons & soup was quick, easy and tasted better than the restaurants. I used Swanson chicken broth this time but next time I will time it so I have homemade chicken stock. Better than ANY take out!! Start to finish it took maybe 1/2 hour.

Ingredients/Prep

Finished Soup

Wow!!!!! Totally cool. Great idea.

I was going to suggest Pork Gyozas but then that is getting a little fancy I suppose. Still... one of the many things one can do if they have too much ground pork on their hands! Could also simply stuff a Red Pepper and roast it. But I love these Asian suggestions.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:10 AM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitecookbook View Post
Wow!!!!! Totally cool. Great idea.

I was going to suggest Pork Gyozas but then that is getting a little fancy I suppose. Still... one of the many things one can do if they have too much ground pork on their hands! Could also simply stuff a Red Pepper and roast it. But I love these Asian suggestions.
Couple of people here do make Gyozas, and make Bento Lunches, etc. So, it's not totally out there.

MsMofet though, she is a plating artiste. And is always making us stick forks in the computer screen.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:29 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this thread: FATTY: It's what's for breakfast!!!!
Old 05-17-2011, 01:30 AM   #20
Cook

Little Ms Mofet of curds and whey fame? Yes, I have to agree with you. She has some great stuff. A fork or a chopstick though? Guess it doesn't matter. Except fork rhymes with pork... (like how I got back on topic?)

Another idea (sorry if mentioned and I missed it), pork tacos with corn tortillas, cilantro, onions and a little salsa.

Tags
pork