"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative
Old 03-28-2009, 07:28 AM   #1
Sous Chef
Ideas for Leftover Rice, Chicken and Okra?

I have a ton of leftover rice from Thai takeout. I also have chicken thighs de-boned, okra sliced and soaked overnight in milk, miscl leftover and fresh veggies and mushrooms, country ham and a full pantry. Any ideas on what to make for a few meals?

JGDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:34 AM   #2
Senior Cook
Well, here's a recipe for leftover rice and veggies. Maybe cube the ham and add it to the casserole and serve the chicken (roasted) on the side?

Rice Vegetable Cheese Casserole
Serves 4 to 6

I’ve made this so many times, but have never measured or written it down.
It’s delicious every time and doesn’t really need specific quantities.
Just put in what you like or have and leave out what you don’t. The only “musts” are the rice, butter, cheese and liquid. Here’s what I put in mine, but you can make it your own with your favorite ingredients.

3-4 cups cooked rice.
4-6 TB. butter or margarine
11/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2-3 cups sliced tomatoes, white or yellow onion slices, sliced mushrooms, broccoli and/or zucchini or any veggies of your choice.
1 cup liquid. It can be chicken or vegetable broth or white wine or a combination.
Water is OK too.

Spread a cup of cooked rice on the bottom of a greased casserole dish. Layer
veggies on top of the rice. Dot with 1-2 TB butter, divided so that you have 5 or 6 “dots”.
Sprinkle with ¼ to 1/3 cup of the cheese. Repeat until you run out of rice and vegetables.
It doesn’t matter what ends up on top, but some cheese is nice. Pour the 1 cup of liquid over the whole thing. Cover and pop into a 350 degree oven for about 45-50 minutes or until it’s piping hot in the center. Serve with crusty French bread and a fruit salad.
Tastes even better the second day!

"First we eat, then we do everything else." M.F.K. Fisher
Laury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:37 AM   #3
Sous Chef
That sounds good and easy. Thanks much!
Old 03-28-2009, 08:11 AM   #4
Assistant Cook
oh.. what a great recipe.. hats off dude.. its always a feast in my home using all the recipes over here..... thanks dude...
112inky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:28 AM   #5
Senior Cook
With the rice and the chicken thighs, I would suggest orange chicken, general tso's chicken, or just "house special" (lol-your house) fried rice. The ham and okra could be made into a gumbo with a little topper of some fried okra. I've seen the okra topper done before, but I don't remember where, maybe Bobby Flay.
Cooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
Sous Chef
I haven't made fried rice in awhile. Mine is OK - my SIL's was so excellent it was even good cold!