Ideas for side using couscous and onion soup mix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prettyblueyes

Assistant Cook
I am on a pantry, freezer cleaning out kick right now. I am looking for an idea for a side dish to make with couscous and onion soup mix. It will accompany a grilled chicken and broccoli.

I like to saute or grill onions and peppers and add to couscous. When you make the couscous, you could add 1 tbsp. or so of the onion soup mix to the water or broth and when it's done, stir in the onions and peppers. Sprinkle with some chopped nuts or pine nuts if you have any. HTH.

You could make soup using the soup mix and use that as the liquid for your couscous instead of using plain water.

How many servings does a packet make? I don't use onion soup mix, so I was concerned about the flavor being too strong if the entire packet was used. Might be making a whole lot of couscous :)

The soup packet tells you how much water to use. So does the couscous box. You use the amount of couscous that calls for that amount of water needed for the soup.

Thanks for all the replies. I think that packet makes 4 cups of soup. I am needing 2 cups of liquid for the couscous, so I think that I will mix 1/2 the packet in the water.

The grilled onions sound interesting too, might have to throw some on the grill to stir into it too!

I did not end up grilling the onions. It was pretty bland actually. I used 1/2 packet to make 2 cups of "soup" and then stirred in enough couscous for the 2 cups. I think I should have used the whole packet, but I was worried that it would be too salty. Oh well, it was edible...kids liked it.

Back
Top Bottom