Ideas for turkey wings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I almost bought some T'wings on Friday for smoking. I have made drumsticks in the crockpot, but the DH said he'd prefer T'wings instead of chicken wings because T'wings are bigger...hmmm...

I've used the smoked turkey wings in beans and they added a very "hamlike" flavor, if you didn't tell anyone they would assume it was ham.

That's a perfect way to use them. I've also broken them with my kitchen vice-grips and just made stock of them. It's excellent as a soup base. Lightly smoke them first until about half cooked and then make the stock. It's fabulous!

Bony pieces like turkey wings (necks, drumsticks) are wonderful to make into a broth. It adds a lot of strong turkey flavor and the meat cooked this way is tender and rich tasting.

Take our the wings when they are done, cool and strip the bones. Use the meat in a favorite chicken dish for a different flavor.

Throw the skin and bones back in the stock and simmer away (covered).

Last edited:
Bony pieces like turkey wings (necks, drumsticks) are wonderful to make into a broth. It adds a lot of strong turkey flavor and the meat cooked this way is tender and rich tasting.

Take our the wings when they are done, cool and strip the bones. Use the meat in a favorite chicken dish for a different flavor.

Throw the skin and bones back in the stock and simmer away (covered).

Your description made my mouth go crazy! I'm drooling! Ha!

I love thin soups that are mostly broth. Sometimes, in the morning, instead of coffee, I have a cup or two of spiced broth. I watch for what I call "Broth Cuts" at the market. Inexpensive cuts on sale that are about 50/50 bone and meat.

I do just as you do, except sometimes I half-cook the meat in the smoker first to add that flavor.

I've never tried breaking them with vicegrips and making soup out of them, I'll have to give that a shot the next time I'm in the mood for them.

I've never tried breaking them with vicegrips and making soup out of them, I'll have to give that a shot the next time I'm in the mood for them.

I have a pair of vice-grips that I took apart and cleaned completely and they are used only for food.

They are washed and dried by hand, after each use, just like any other kitchen tool. Wonderful for cracking bones for broth, so that the marrow flavor all gets to come out! I then pour it through tripled cheese cloth to make sure there are no fragments.

Buffalo Wings. HUGE Buffalo wings!

Original Anchor Bar Buffalo Wings

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 lb butter
  • 1 cup Durkees Frank's Original Cayenne Pepper Hot Sauce (this is the only one)
  • 1/8 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/8 cup white vinegar
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion salt

Directions:

Cut off the wing tips & discard them. Pre-mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Rinse wings, pat dry, pre-bake the wings in a 250F oven for 15 minutes, then deep fry in vegetable oil to desired texture (soft or crispy).

On LOW heat, melt butter in a saucepan, add vinegar and Franks/Durkees sauce. Whisk dry ingredients into saucepan until well combined, Simmer sauce for 20 minutes in a covered saucepan, unless you need to clear your sinuses.

Pour sauce into Large Tupperware Bowl, add wings, seal, and shake well until wings are coated. Use a rubber spatula to get all of the sauce out of the bowl & wash it immediately, otherwise it may retain a reddish "Buffalo Wings" tint

Your description made my mouth go crazy! I'm drooling! Ha!

I love thin soups that are mostly broth. Sometimes, in the morning, instead of coffee, I have a cup or two of spiced broth. I watch for what I call "Broth Cuts" at the market. Inexpensive cuts on sale that are about 50/50 bone and meat.

I do just as you do, except sometimes I half-cook the meat in the smoker first to add that flavor.

Oh, I thought I was the only person who did that! When I roast marrow bones for stock, I love the stock/broth in the morning. Of course, because I roast them overnight and wake up to the aroma of beef stock in the air, I can't help myself, that is when the stock is ready...oh--the beefy flavor...I might have to pick up some bones tomorrow...

Back
Top Bottom